Search Unity

Assets [Outdated thread] Map Magic

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Wright, Jul 29, 2015.

?

Vote for the plugin name:

Poll closed Feb 25, 2016.
  1. Map Magic

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Map Magic Editor

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Magic: Map Editor

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Magic: Map Designer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Magic Editor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Magic: Land Editor

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Land Magic

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. Terrain Magic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Level Magic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. MagicLand

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnbbender

jnbbender

2. magicbananna

magicbananna

Hey guys any idea why MM wont pin terrains any more. I have looked through the forum to see if anyone else has had this problem but I cant find anything.

I have even started a new scene with a new instance of MM and they still wont pin. Lock doesnt seem to be working either. I even deleted the MM asset and reimported it. There are no errors in the console that could give me some clue. upon reimport I had these error

Assets/MapMagic/Editor/MapMagicWindow.cs(346,40): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.EventType.keyDown' is obsolete: `Use KeyDown instead (UnityUpgradable) -> KeyDown'

and

Assets/MapMagic/Editor/MapMagicWindow.cs(353,85): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.EventType.layout' is obsolete: `Use Layout instead (UnityUpgradable) -> Layout'

Which were then fixed with changing what was suggested. But im thinking this is a unity2017 issue.

Do you have any ideas on what is going wrong?? Please please help lol

3. Kerosini

Kerosini

Is there a nice method to create streets and ways into the terrain?

MoribitoMT likes this.
  4. Aress28

Aress28

Hi! Im just added CTS and terrain that are pinned have CTS component..but terrain that not pined and get generated at Play Mode have just grass on them and no CTS component...is there any fix?

5. oldmanmilly

oldmanmilly

Hi - I’m having two issues with trees:

1. Having followed you video guide I’ve notice that one or two trees keep spawning in the water. How do I prevent this from happening?

2. Birch trees appear white in the assist folder and do not spawn on the map.

Please advise?

6. Aress28

Aress28

i have only grass texture in generated terains when in play mode :( using CTS

Attached Files:

7. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

I'm having this problem too - pin button has no effect, can't preview multiple terrains

8. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Nevermind - quit and re-opened and all is well. Haven't been able to repro.

9. RakNet

RakNet

Crash if the camera is in a different scene, or there is no camera

Camera mainCam = Camera.main;
    if (mainCam==null) mainCam = GameObject.FindObjectOfType<Camera>(); //in case it was destroyed or something
    camPoses[0] = mainCam.transform.position;

10. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Anyone have tips for how to keep mapmagic and microsplat in sync? I find I have to resync micrsplate every time I make a tweak in mapmagic.

11. Gordon_G

Gordon_G

Hi Denis, I've been playing with the free demo version trying to decide if I want to purchase. Map Magic is a really neat tool.

One question to help my decision: I could not get the free version to work in the OS X version of Unity 2017.3.1f1 . It just kept crashing on every time I tried to add a node in the node editor. So I have tried it out in Unity 5.4 and it works.

Is the paid version stable in on the latest version of Unity 2017 for OS X?

Thanks for your input!

12. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

I've been using it every day in 2017.4... and I've never had a crash. It's been one of the most robust code-heavy assets I've purchased - may be interacting with something else in your scene? My "stack" is aquas, map magic, microsplat, enviro, and a*. I'm on a MacBook.

13. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

prob2.jpg I'm having more problems now I managed to get the raw image to work but it doubles up as you can see and I don't know why it is doing this.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  14. Dorian-Dowse

Dorian-Dowse

Two things that I've seen cause this are;
    - selecting Mac rather than IMB PC in the RAW export (in Photoshop, I've not used GIMP),
    - and having an alpha channel in your image.

15. Aress28

Aress28

hi.I have problem to get my trees on grass they spawn almost where they want :/ there is preview on map with grass
    Im using VS if this means something....

And there also some trees on air not on ground...all i tried change just make more bad...
    or i do something wrong....i added grass output in front of tree scatter and its made trees stay more in or atleast near grass....
    Added screenshot of trees on air :/

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  16. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

Is it possible to combine voxeland biome in with standard mapmagic one?
    For instance make above water level voxel biome and below water level standard mapmagic biome.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  17. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

Have a thought for managing performance of infinite worlds.

Only a few nodes (i.e. erosion) are slow, but they add very nice polish when up close.

I wonder if it would make sense to first build terrains without erosion, and then asynchronously add in erosion to spread the performance cost over more frames.

It might be a slight pop effect on the peaks, but that would be a better tradeoff for me than avoiding erosion entirely.

18. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

If I wanted to just have mapmagic do my terrain shape, then completely remove mapmagic, can I just move the pinned terrain off the parent and remove any scripts and change the name?

19. Aress28

Aress28

hi.im have terrain with 3 islands.how i can make each island diferent Biome?Or how i make Biomes?i need makke full terain in 1 biome and then switch all textures and trees and objects ?where i can save data for ea Biomes...as i understand there need data for each Biome and then i can apply to each island using masks...

20. Aress28

Aress28

there also problem for me spawn rocks cuz i have like 10 models of rocks and its hard (or not even possible) to make MapMagic put them on terrain in cool way...from tutorial i see thats its works fine with couple stones and couple trees ...
    and i using Vegitation Studio with map magic and its not allow me to start placing manuali...

EDIT:
    And can some one please tell me how i can make underwater plants to not go more than 200 map height?
    i was trying with rocks..but all time when i add portal from height + Curve (before scater ...and tried also before adjust) its just for me change height of model (Rocks).....

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  21. dlstilts

dlstilts

Hi for some reason after adding more than a few nodes and textures the terrain will not generate when I make changes? Then when I take them away it still wont generate and there is a spinning icon in the mapmagic window? When I play the game no terrain is generated! Then I have to re-import the map magic and start over. It will work until it gets too complicated but I wasn't even able to follow your long tutorial without this happening. Also when it does work in game mode int stops generating new terrain after a few minutes and the character falls (have a character walking forward perpetually across terrain)? Please help! I am using unity 17.3.1 and have 16gigs of ram and a gtx1050.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  22. Aress28

Aress28

some time helps Force Generate all...im using it often...

23. N1warhead

N1warhead

Doesn't help me. Mapmagic makes beautiful terrains. But other than that I get nothing but trouble. Every single day I have to start a new scene multiple times. In fact it's even eaten up 11 gigs of ram and crashed my computer twice!

Nothing gives, starting to regret that I ever bought this, I mean it makes gorgeous terrains. But can't do anything outside of that. I've tried restarting Unity, I've tried restarting computer, it just constantly generates, terrain disappears (had to force that off). All I'm trying to ever do is adjust my grass settings, finally got to the point I don't even do trees with it, and fixing to never do grass with it again, as all it does is hang the editor, I've tried Generate Change, I've tried Force Generate All, it just does the same exact thing, - nothing but generate.

DinaPeshnaya likes this.
  24. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

Hi guys! Can you please help me with the save terrain functionality?

I am using Map Magic to turn texture height maps into unity terrain and to apply paint job. I am using the custom shader output node with Mega Splat enabled and making use of the erosion node to fine tune the height map input and most importantly to nicely apply Mega Splat texture clusters just like in the Island tutorial as well as to set up grass and trees for the map.

I am not generating infinite terrain only a single one as it is for a strategy game, 1 height map texture input per individual strategy map.
    It is all great, so far i have a dozen maps painted and brought to life by this tool.

One tiny problem i cannot save the terrain or rather when save it, it comes up with 3 error messages upload_2018-5-24_8-15-57.png .
    When dragging the terrain data into the scene to turn it into terrain, the mesh appears as should be but the error persist and the paint job is lost, even when dragging the MS material used during painting that same terrain a minute ago in MM.

Please note i am new to terrain hence why i bought Map Magic and Mega Splat but understand it is important to me to turn the output into individual prefabs i do not intend to generate/paint at run time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i do hope i am just doing something wrong.

Thanks Guys

25. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

Why am I getting this warning? "The tree PineMed1 must use the Nature/Soft Occlusion shader. Otherwise billboarding/lighting will not work correctly." I'm using the current version of MM and Unity 2018.1

26. Aress28

Aress28

My Map Magic freeze for couple sec when loading or generate chunk...

27. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know how to smooth the border of a terrain, by that i mean of a terrain generated with noise a terrain that is not part of an infinite terrain, just a single block. I hate that the noise is generated on the border and while mask can be used to cut out the noise it is not looking very natural. I wish to either control the noise to not prefer the border or to smooth whatever is generated at the border down to an exceptable height.

28. Aress28

Aress28

I cant get those Freezes off when MM enables or generates terrain chunks....i tried put like 600m generate distance and enable at 300m (so its 300m to generate before enable) but when it comes its freeze game for 2-3sec....
    Any one can give some tips to remove that freeze?

Is there any support alive or all support gone?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  29. malkere

malkere

30. malkere

malkere

That is not something that any asset on the store can do out of the box. The problem is feeding new GameObjects into the engine, worst of all being colliders. When a collider is added into the physics engine is has to make a variety of calculations once so that it doesn't have to do them every frame. The more colliders and other objects you bring in in a single frame the larger the pause. That is a limitation of Unity, not MapMagic. According to the author MapMagic automatically limits the amount of "Objects" that are placed within a single frame, before the terrain is enabled. "Trees" however are a one time pass, and if you are placing colliders on the terrain via trees there will be a definite pause no matter what you do. Most games are forced to handle tree colliders separate from their graphical components for this reason.

Support is very active by the way. This is the wrong thread, and should be locked. I will suggest such to the author.

31. Aress28

Aress28

even after i diconnected all objects from spawning ( like trees and rocks) i got the same pause when terrain enables..

32. Wright

Wright

Welcome to the official MapMagic thread.

This one is asset W.I.P. thread, it's located in "Work in Progress" section, and it's not used anymore. I've removed all of the links to this thread, I would have locked it if I could find the way to do it - but at first glance there is no such button or menu.

Please do not write under this post.

malkere and zombiegorilla like this.
  33. neoshaman

neoshaman

I have reported the thread to a mod, maybe they will lock the thread

malkere and zombiegorilla like this.
  34. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Locking, please use thread linked above as it now released.

malkere and neoshaman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.