Search Unity

Map Lab - PBR Texture Laboratory

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sycoforge, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Thanks for connecting :)

Did this just happen the first time you have opened Map Lab?

Do you have these artifacts in both CPU and OpenCL mode?

Are the changes to the tilling only on the Secondary Maps?

Thank you for reporting! :)

2. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Yes only happened the first time- I quit Unity came back and there were no errors

I have an ATI gfx card so it doesn't allow me to use OpenCL so its CPU only

The tiling changes are in both the primary and secondary maps-

Glad I can help :)

3. abhuva

abhuva

I just bought this asset - so i just had some hours to test it. I am also having strange behaviour with the normal-maps (artifacts while adjusting the strength slider), but what is more troublesome at the moment - i am getting quite a lot of crashes for now.
    The save/load functionality also doesn work correctly - when i load a saved project it wont show any of the changes or any previews, if i go to import tab i can see the texture i used, if i click on it to force it to load the texture again the editor crashes also.

I see a lot of potential with this product once its stable (have used crazybump before), especially with this layering aproach wich i really like. Hope to see those bugs and crashes getting solved soon.

(Working on Mac - OSX El Capitan).

4. dvera2

dvera2

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Thanks for reporting. We are working on a hotfix that solves the most issues.

6. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Version 0.6.75 (hotfix) available for download.

Fixes
    • Filter: Fixed conversion issue in Color Mask filter on CPU.
    • UI: Corrected some typos.
    • OpenCL: Fixed Intel OpenCL devices cause Map Lab to break.
    • OpenCL: Fixed 'fcl build exception' on Intel HD Graphics.
    • OpenCL: Removed filter compiling when in CPU mode.
    • Settings: Properties now get stored properly.
    Features
    • Setting: Default settings now can be restored.
    Changes
    • UI: Increased default startup size of Map Lab editor.
    • UI: Increased default size of the exporter window.
    • UI: Added scrollbars to the exporter window.
    • OpenCL: On-the-fly filter compiling is temporarily deactivated. Startup and opening the Add-Filter-Dialog (for the first time per session) will take much longer.

imaginationrabbit likes this.
  7. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Version 0.6.8 available for download.

Changelog

Fixes

• UI: Map preview gets now correctly refreshed when File->New or File->Empty is called.
    • Filter: Fixed bug in Median filter on CPU.
    • Filter: Fixed bug in Fast Median filter on CPU.
    • Filter: Fixed bug in Gaussian High-Pass filter on CPU.

Features
    • Filters: Internal and external filters can now manually be reloaded.
    • Filters: Per-device filter exclusion support added. Not supported filters get automatically excluded without breaking the others.
    • Filters: Updated OpenCL code to properly run on AMD and Intel devices.
    • UI: Startup splash screen added to show initialization progress.
    • UI: Show save dialog on window close.
    • UI: Added more hotkeys (S: Open Settings, E: Open Exporter, I: Open Inputs, Space: Rerender Maps, ESC: Flush Command Queue, 1-7: Change Map Tab)
    • Settings: All installed plugins can now be listed.

Changes
    • Filter: Changed default radius in Gaussian High-Pass filter.
    • Filter: Rotation filter gets now controlled by a slider.
    • OpenCL: Filters get compiled at startup.
    • OpenCL: Filters get only compiled for selected device.
    • Plugin: External filter plugins get included, validated and compiled at startup.

8. djgriff

djgriff

Hi how do i create a texture to have the extruding edges as shown in your preview imaged of the pebbles? I have tried lots of settings but mine always seem to have a nice smooth edge in the preview window?

Cheers

9. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

You have to select the MapLabTessellation material under the Custom tab.
    Note: Unity does only support DX11 Tessellation on Windows yet.

map-lab-tessellation-preview.jpg

Hope that helps! :)

10. djgriff

djgriff

Cheers thats great

11. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

We'll add shortcuts to the built-in materials/shaders in the next version. This makes material changes faster and more convenient.

12. abhuva

abhuva

I just encountered a real nasty bug:
    When i try to build my project it stops and tells me that it have encountered scripting errors - in the console it shows several scripts from Maplab.
    This only happens while building a project, running it from editor works fine (it also never complains about scripting errors)
    I am using the latest version of MapLab, Unity 5.3.3f1, running on Mac El Capitan.

Tried compiling to Universal as well as to x86_64. In both cases it throws those errors and stops the building process.
    Any idea what i can do (beside deinstalling MapLab)?

Attached Files:

13. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

The custom demo filter is not allowed to be included in the final build. It should actually be located in an editor-only folder.
    You can delete the following file: Assets/nu Assets/Map Lab/Scripts/Custom Filters/ColorStripesFilter.cs
    Now it should build properly. Let me know if it's working now.

Thank you for reporting!

14. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Version 0.6.9 available for download.

Changelog

Fixes

• Moved the custom filter demo (ColorStripesFilter.cs) to the editor folder to allow project builds.

Features
    • Canvas: New marquee tool hotkey added. Ctrl+A to select to whole canvas.
    • Canvas: Aspect ratio can now be fixed.

Changes
    • Canvas: Improved the selection shader.
    • Canvas: Marquee tool behaves more smooth now and allows more accurate selection.

15. djgriff

djgriff

cool, thanks

16. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Next big update will also allow custom bindings for third party shaders/materials.

17. abhuva

abhuva

Another bug-report:
    When i load a file via the OPEN menu, the preview-maps arent shown at all (no single map), i have to go to SOURCE first and click there on the Albedo-texture name. After that it works as expected.

The map-preview (clicking on a map, to show it in its own preview window) doesnt work for me, it always just shows a pink texture no matter what i do.

Using the latest build 0.6.9, Unity 5.3.3f1 Personal, on MacOSX El Capitan.

18. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Could it be that the saved file doesn't have the source property assigned? Does this also happen when saving the file with assigned sources and then reopening it again?

Does one of the shaders located at Assets/Editor Default Resources/nu Assets/Shared/Shaders show any compiling errors (just clicking on it)? It seems like one of the canvas shaders did not compile correctly on your graphics plaform.

Thanks for reporting.

19. abhuva

abhuva

About the saved file: The sources are assigned, it happens with all textures i work with. I have a normal workflow, assigning the albedo first and then mostly using it to generate normal-maps. When i save, all textures are shown properly, once i reload nothing is shown.

About the shaders: i found no compiling errors there - i also forced them to recompile and no errors pop up in the console.

Additional info: on my system OpenCL doesnt work (pretty sure this is a mac-issue, they seem to be far behind with newer OpenCL versions)

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  20. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

I could successfully reproduce the File > Open issue. For some reasons the render method gets not triggered on project load when in CPU mode. We'll fix that. Until then just press Space (focused Map Lab editor) to force a render pass on all maps.

That's strange. A pink screen implies a shader error (it's the output of the default error shader). Was this introduced with the 0.6.9 update?

This guided me in the right direction with File > Open issue. :)
    We also had problems with OpenCL on the Nvidia graphics card with our MacBook, but the Intel OpenCL drivers worked. Try installing the latest Intel OCL drivers for your Mac.

Again, thank you for taking the time to report! :)

21. abhuva

abhuva

About the pink screen - this wasnt introduced with the 0.6.9, i am unsure - i think in the first version i had it worked, and after upgrading to 0.6.8 it stopped working, but i am not entirely sure on this. (not sure what the first version was, but i got my copy from the asset-store when it was on 24hour sale a couple of weeks ago)

About Intel OCL drivers - i tried to google for them, but i had no luck finding any - could you give me a hint how/where i can get those for Mac (i really hate this on Macs, for Windows its always easier to find stuff)

22. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Try forcing Unity to reimport the canvas shaders. When opening the Map Tiler, is the canvas also pink?

Just saw that El Capitan comes with latest Apple drivers.

map-lab-opencl.jpg

What do you see when downloading and executing this OSX OpenCL benchmark? Can you see the devices in the dropdown menu?

23. abhuva

abhuva

To make sure its not my system i updated the OSX and Unity to the latest versions (Unity 5.3.4)
    The canvas shaders work now.

I tried this and i can see lots of options in the dropdown menu:

I am not entirely sure, but for me it seems the OpenCL is stuff working. Anyway - if i try to choose OpenCL in Maplab it tells me that either my hardware doesnt support it, or my drivers are out of date.
    In Win i would just download drivers - but on Mac i am kinda clueless how to proceed with troubleshooting now - both Unity and my OSX are up to date, so it cant be missing drivers.

Edit:

I got it working.
    I clicked on OpenCL in the settings-tab. It shows the "OpenCL not supported or drivers missing" error message. I ignored that and clicked on Save. Maplab updated some stuff, after that when i go to settings - its now showing the options for OpenCL and its working.
    So its kinda a bug while detecting the drivers on MacOSX i guess.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  24. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Glad to hear that it's working now. :)
    Seems indeed to be a bug with the OpenCL driver detection on OSX.

Thanks for taking the time to report. We much appreciate your help.

25. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Hi!

Is there a list of presets, recommended settings or tutorials to get good results out of some common textures (e.g. bricks, gravel, wood planks, etc.)?

26. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Hi,
    Currently, only the default preset exists (and your saved projects). But version 0.7.0 comes with a web preset library integration which get filled by us and the community. One can easily share and download presets.

Here's a little sneak peek:

map_lab_web_presets.png

More tutorials will follow also. :)

iamsam likes this.
  27. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Looking great! Do you have an ETA on v.0.7?

28. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Difficult to say. An experimental version could be available on our website in 10 - 20 days.

Hormic likes this.
  29. Player7

Player7

I have a whole bunch of textures for a voxel game so many of the textures are actually less 128px the issue is that the map lab exporter only goes down to like 512x (export rule use global.. there was a dropdown to select export size I can't find it anymore.. global settings window.. I swear I i saw it before somewhere) any it doesn't have an option to just stick to the input image size.

Will probably use 128px textures for original block textures, but the export could do some more options to export to the actual input size right now its upsizing them.

Also a big one is that textures that aren't squared have a bit of problem in both map tiler and the main lab part

A batch mode export would be nice (mabye even one where it doens't have to be from unity imported texture2d assets? then it could be from out of project to a file/folder?) I have a lot of textures where I'm pretty happy with the normal map settings its just going through them all 1 by 1.. can always go back and export out specific ones with more tuned normal settings.

Map Tiler..
    Show seams..(this also doesn't play well with non uniform sized textures) a width size option.. or even dotted line style would be good... I initially used it with a 32px image :D and that was a pretty large border, noticed later on a larger size image it fitted in better.

If you ever decide to go down the route of making the map tiler more a thing some basic brush types, colors panel, and a clone brush would go a long way towards making it really good for making the whole tiling thing the complete package *cough with layers* though it is pretty useful on its own...I've honestly started looking at krita for doing texture tiling, the built in [w] tiling view is so much nicer than photoshop silly oldskool method (http://krita-foundation.tumblr.com/post/105525695987/how-i-make-tiled-backgrounds) ... adobe need shaking I dunno why anyone pay subscription to them when so many tools like this out pacing what they are doing or not doing.

oh yeh one last thing.. the map previewer.. I feel like its missing a way to move the lighting about.. right now you can rotate the preview object and the lighting moves with it.. so you can't really get a feel for how the lights reacts at different angles on the same texture position all that well.. maybe option to switch between rotating mesh object, and light(s) the same way.

30. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

@Player7 Thank you for all your inputs! Highly appreciated. :)

Currently, the smallest export size is 256^2 and the largest 4096^2. The export ranges will be extended to 64, 128 and maybe also 8k textures.

map_lab_export_settings.jpg

This is a design limitation. The most of the algorithms are optimized for square input data, but this optimizations maybe get optional in s later release.

You're totally right! :) The method used to draw the texture's borders currently use the relative pixel size of the input texture itself. Upcoming versions will use a similar method like the marquee tool to render a specified region.

Clone brush and friends are under construction. :) But we have no exact release date for this features (see roadmap).

We are months behind the dev schedule. But The next big update will come with custom export presets and an online project sharing platform.

The viewer will receive dynamic lights and more presets. :)

31. Xenonus

Xenonus

Please recheck the below error in 5.5.2p2 for both metallic and specular shaders:

Shader error in 'nu Assets/Map Lab/Standard Ext (Specular setup)': invalid subscript 'boxMax' at Assets/nu Assets/Map Lab/Shaders/UnityStandardCoreExtension.cginc(329) (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP

Edit: apparently it doesnt affect anything so far, so just in case FYI only.

32. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Thank you for the report. The standard shaders changed on Unity's since since version 5.5.
    To make the shaders flawlessly compile you have to import the small shader patch attached below.

Attached Files:

33. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Version 0.7.0 available for download.

Changelog

Fixes

• Filter: Fixed multi-pass filter duplication bug.
    • UI: Filter names are now correctly formatted in the add-filter-dialog.
    • Shader: Fixed compile error in Unity >5.5.

Features
    • Shaders: Support for third party shaders added.
    • Shaders: Shader texture mapping editor added.
    • Exporter: Settings get included in project file.
    • Map Canvas: Added more information to status bar.
    • Map Canvas: Centered zoom functionality added.
    • UI: Material settings display all possible properties exposed by the shader.
    • Core: Unity 5.6 support added.

Changes
    • UI: Menus replaced by native OS menus.
    • Structure: Harmonized package structure across all shared libraries.
    Note: The planned preset webservice is currently not alive.

34. mwituni

mwituni

Hi,

I'm getting (empty) PNG files after an export. Only the NML file is ok.
    Ver 0.7 on Unity 5.4.5. on Windows 7

Any ideas?

35. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Hi,
    Apologies for the late reply. Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce this. But the combined metallic-smoothness map actually can look like a solid black map due low metal values and almost uniform smoothness values.

map_lab_standard_setup_metalsmooth.jpg

Please let me know of this wasn't the case on your side so we can find the cause of your issue.

36. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Okay. Now I see what you have meant by "empty". When inspecting the textures in Unity all seems fine, but when viewing them in an external program that interprets the actual alpha channel they are fully transparent because Map Map 0.7.0 comes with a bug that writes 0 to the alpha channel what nothing is specified in the Mapping file for a specific shader.

You can workaround this by changing the Assignments from RGB >RGB to RGBA > RGBA for those textures in the mapping file as shown in the image below.

ed_shader_mapping.jpg

Currently not. But we have plans to integrate TIFF and JPEG (just because Unity has native support for it, actually jpg is useless in a rational texturing pipeline).

37. mwituni

mwituni

Thanks for the reply ... i will do that. I realised it was just the alpha messing around (which is why i removed my post) ... but I guess you read it too fast :)

Yes, not JPG ... i wrote TGA.

38. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Yes, you are right your post is gone :).

Sorry if this sounded like you wrote JPG, actually I meant that jpeg will be an additional output format (independently of your post). Sorry for the confusion. :)

Attached Files:

39. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @nu-assets!!!

I just bought your asset and I'm starting to try it.

I just work a texture with its asset and when I export I get this error by console:
    "Map Lab: The selected texture () can not be changed to normal map.
    UnityEngine.Debug: LogError (Object)
    Ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MapLabEditor: SetAsNormalMap (String)
    Ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.ExporterWindow: Instance_OnSaveFinished (String, Int32)
    Ch.sycoforge.MapLab.ExportHandler: MQalKhuUgbNeurpkr8GU16gMM (String, Int32)
    Ch.sycoforge.MapLab.ExportHandler: Save (Int32, String, String, ExportSettings)
    Ch.sycoforge.MapLab.ExportHandler: SaveAll (String, String, ExportSettings)
    Ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.ExporterWindow: ExportAll (Object)
    Ch.sycoforge.Unity.Editor.AsyncJob: Run ()
    Ch.sycoforge.Unity.Editor.AsyncWorker: Process ()
    Ch.sycoforge.Unity.Editor.AsyncWorker: EditorUpdate ()
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication: Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () "

The textures generate them to me but I think it does it badly. Although I may be wrong ...
    All textures, except _ms and _n, are not seen, is this so? What am I doing wrong?

I have tested with two versions of Unity (the 5.6.0f3 and the 5.6.1p2 patch) and in both passes the problem

I leave video for you to see:

regards

40. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Map Lab tries to mark the textures from normal tab as "Unity Normal Map", but Unity can only process textures that are in the project's root folder (Assets/..). If you dont want the output textures in your actual project you can safely ignore this message.

When inspecting the textures in Unity all seems fine, but when viewing them in an external program that interprets the actual alpha channel they are fully transparent because Map Map 0.7.0 comes with a bug that writes 0 to the alpha channel what nothing is specified in the Mapping file for a specific shader.

You can workaround this by changing the Assignments from RGB >RGB to RGBA > RGBA for those textures in the mapping file as shown in the image below.

This will be changed in the next update/patch. Let me know if you need further assistance!

41. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @nu-assets !!

thanks for answering.

I have tried what you have told me and it works. Although I have noticed that on some occasions the albedo has created it totally black and I had to repeat the export process.
    I do not know if this error is because I've done something wrong or by program bug. I will continue to observe

On the other hand I have also seen that the export file that is exported, is sometimes sent to a lower resolution than the others (albedo, ao, etc). For example the tests I did had the output of the textures for a resolution of 1024. And all were created at 1024 minus the emission that was created with a resolution of 512.
    Is this a bug? How can I solve that?

Another question, the "U5-Standard" and "U5-Standard Specular" files in the Mappings folder, I think are for setting the output textures among other things ... and it seems that MapLab uses "U5-Standard" .. .

How can I use the "U5-Standard Specular" and when should I use one or the other?
    I have looked in the documentation but I have not seen anything ...

regards

42. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

You're welcome! :)

Please let us know if you have found a way to reproduce this issue. Every bug report is very valuable for us!

Yes. These are basically texture mapping and assignment presets for the Unity Standard Metallic and Specular workflow. But of course you could also create your own project presets e.g. to support a custom shader workflow.

When creating a project from scratch you can select what preset you want to use for said workspace. It's up to you which workflow you prefer - Metallic or Specular - by default Map Lab loads the Metallic workflow.

43. ftejada

ftejada

Hi!!
    Yes. But... how do I use another workflow? Where do I change it? I looked in the manual and did not find it. I do not know if you understand what I mean. I feel my clumsy English

Regards

44. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Go to File>New>Project.

map_lab_new_project.jpg

Select one of the installed presets and press Create

map_lab_new_project_shader_bindings.jpg

Map Lab will automatically configure all outputs and texture tabs according the preset.
    I hope I did understand you right. :)

ftejada likes this.
  45. ftejada

ftejada

Thanks!!
    I'm going to try it

46. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @nu-assets

I'm still testing your asset. To say that I like it a lot and are very good some of the characteristics that it has.

But he's failing me a lot. I usually work with textures of 2k, although the problem has also happened to me with textures of 1k and 512. So I think that the resolution of the texture does not cause the problem.

When I generate the images (a, n, ao, etc etc) on many occasions the albedo is created totally black. A lot happens to me. I have the RGBA output as you told me. But even so, albedo often causes problems
    There are times that I try up to 6 or 7 times so that I finally generate the textures correctly. Although in some new grass textures in which I am working however much I try the albedo is always generated in black. I will have tried it about 15 times and I gave up

I have been testing but I do not know why it can be the problem, or how to reproduce it. It just happens sometimes and sometimes not.

It is very tedious to work like this and you lose a lot of time.

On the other hand the asset has crashed me more times than I would like. And I had to reopen Unity and project again.

What solution can you give me for these problems ?? The version of unity I've been using is 5.6.0

On the other hand I was given a problem of lack of memory when creating some textures with its asset. And Windows has closed Unity.
    I have 32gb Ram and the texture I was building was 2k. So I think it's not my hardware problem

regards

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  47. ftejada

ftejada

Hi

I'm trying to create an account on your website to see if there is a new version of MapLab, but I get the following error:

Access denied by security policy

Your request is blocked by a security policy rule.
    Please contact the support team, support@hoststar.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Please provide the following information to our support team: nu.sycoforge.com | 85.136.122.154 | 18.07.2017 07:44:29
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a number of problems with MapLab that I reported to you. And you answered me by email.
    You told me that in one week you would download a new Map Lab update that would correct most of the errors.

I see that there is nothing left in the asset store. Is there already a new update Map Lab?

Waiting for your response. regards

48. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Seems like a erroneously security rule that trigger when you are trying to connect to the restricted area. We have reported this to our hoster.

We have released the latest version 2 days ago. Many apologies for the delay. I'll send you the update in PM.

ftejada likes this.
  49. ftejada

ftejada

Thank you for your quick response.
    I'll try it these days. regards

50. djgriff

djgriff

Hi, when will the asset support Unity 2017.1
    Thanks