Search Unity

Map Lab - PBR Texture Laboratory

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sycoforge, Nov 5, 2015.

1. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi
    Logged into my account and can´t download the latest beta! What´s wrong?
    Last time i could download but i hadn´t received an invoice number.

Cheers
    Michael

2. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

In part 1 of the public beta we had some problems with the coupon systems in our online shop so we released it with no account binding to keep the release date.
    But we doubled the copies in part 2 to allow anyone from part 1 to bind it to their accounts.

3. MS80

MS80

Now I got it, have the remove the rest of the path! It works :)
    So handy that MapLap creates the material with the settings from the preview!
    • one more thing: normal maps should be set to texture type "normal map" instead of "texture"

I have already tried that, setting preview to linear does not work for me (0.5.3)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  4. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Try setting it, confirm with "OK" (should better be named "Save") an then close and reopen Map Lab editor.
    If it's still not working please let us know.

In 0.5.4 Map Lab does auto-detect to color space at startup and asks the user if it should change the color space accordingly.

5. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Important Note

For all who participated in the first part of the beta phase and have no account binding of the plug-in yet, please write an email to our support including your user name. if you registered before 24 November you will get a 50$ coupon code to add Map Lab to your account free of charge.

6. Teila

Teila

Sent of a support email to get the latest download now that the holiday is over. Thanks!

7. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi,
    0.5.3 is much nicer now.
    When i switch to Custom Shader in the main window, my last custom shader is in the slot, but not assigned. It should do this automatically, when switching shaders. I had to reassign the custom material by hand.

When i click on the preview of a channel in main window the preview window opened, which could be resized and therefore would be helpful when changing channel properties. But it doesn´t update :(. It would be great, if there is at least a button under preview in main window like "Update preview window" ! EDIT: When like in Normal channel, i had different layers(Fine,Medium..), when i switch of/on a layer, this should also happen automatically.

And i had a strange bug, which i can´t reproduce, where i had to quit Unity, because the main window(and the preview window) showed the Depth-preview all over....

And i would really like to see the possibility to switch of layers soon, and to solo(and re-solo) a layer when i press the switch with say the option-key.

Thanks
    Michael

8. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@nu-assets: I believe I have the asset bound to my account. How can I be certain?

- S.

9. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

When logged in go to Account/Orders when see you Map Lab there it's bound to your account. :)

10. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@nu-assets: I had assumed as much, but wanted to be certain.

All set. Thank you again! :)
    - S.

11. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Added to TO-DO-list.

As soon as you can reproduce it or can make some guesses please let us know.

Will be present in 0.5.4 or 0.5.5.

12. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Had this stange bug now(but doen´t know how this happened)
    MapLab Window.jpg
    Last error in console:
    RenderTexture.Create failed: width & height must be larger than 0
    UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MaterialPreview:Render(Mesh)
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MaterialPreviewDoRenderPreview(Material)
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MaterialPreview:RenderPreview(Rect)

Cheers
    Michael

13. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi
    Had this strange window thing again:
    /builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:58)
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MaterialPreview.Initialize (UnityEditor.MaterialEditor editor)
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MaterialPreviewWindow.DrawMaterialPreview (Boolean external, Boolean fullScreen)
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MaterialPreviewWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)
    &
    ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    Parameter name: collection
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.GUIContent].CheckCollection (IEnumerable`1 collection) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:435)
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.GUIContent]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:58)
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MaterialPreview.Initialize (UnityEditor.MaterialEditor editor)

Michael

EDIT: It happens sometimes, when i press on Custom Preview Tab in the main window (there are also U5 Specular & U5 Metallic Tabs). And i can resize the window, but can´t move it. EDIT: Can move it, but only when i press the setting thing and i even have the context menu, where i can close the tab. But MapLab window never appears in normal state, i have to quit Unity.

14. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

OpenCL is maily used to speedup the map processing. But you can also let the CPU do the calculations.

15. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Could you send us an email containing the Shader that causing this problem?
    How frequent does this happen?
    Did it ever happen when in standard Metallic or Specular workflow?

16. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi
    Another problem:
    When i load an .xml file i generated in MapLab and assign a texture in MapLab there is only "Slot 1" in Source, but does nothing. Closing MapLab and creating File -> New(with both possibilities "Do you want to create new MapLab preset, YES & NO) , assigning a texture, the Source Input of Channels said "No Inputs found".
    EDIT: Perhaps to load a default - Default , Yes , No ?

Can´t really reproduce it, happened now a few times, but i loaded an .xml file which i generated in last beta, and it had no Input. Then the next loaded .xml also had no Input. I think it should have one by default ;).

And another problem is: U5 Specular doesn´t show Normal Map in preview. Its basically flat. (I´m on OSX) Can be seen only in U5 Metallic. A way to tweak the inbuilt preview-shaders would be also welcome :) I know i can alter them in Inspector...

Cheers
    Michael

17. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

The preset/project handling is currently very basic. This will be improved in future versions.

Version 0.5.4 has an improved preview handling.

0.5.4 will probably be released today.

18. N1warhead

N1warhead

@nu-assets - message me buddy. I have something we might both appreciate with tools we are making.

19. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

20. N1warhead

N1warhead

Thanks bud. Im in bed right now. Ill get back to you when i wake up. Take care.

EDIT - Sent e-mail a couple hours ago.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  21. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Version 0.5.4 available for download.

Changelog

Features
    • Maps can now be separately excluded from exports
    • Map visibility toggle in preview
    • Export path can be coverted to project relative
    • Auto map generation when change preview quality
    Fixes
    • Improved material updates in preview
    • Compilation process improved
    • Skybox rendering improved
    • Exported normal map is now flagged as Unity normal map (DXT5nm)
    • Exported maps are now assigned properly to the generated material
    • Map suffix is now correct in Specular Workflow (Case AVAIW88HOD).
    • Builds are now possible when Map Lab is present (Case AWSHYM5IOJ)
    • Default preview tiling set to 1 (Case AZYLG1GURA)
    • Deleted maps are excluded in the export (Case ANTU8IOIFP)
    Changes
    • Max camera zoom distance increased in Perspective render mode
    • Asset database gets automatically refreshed after export (Case AZZ5G6XLIU)

22. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

Hi, try new beta, but black material preview in metalic and specular, and pink in custom material

and some warning show in console:

ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.SelectInputMenu must be instantiated using the ScriptableObject.CreateInstance method instead of new SelectInputMenu.
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow:.ctor()
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.SelectInputMenu:.ctor()
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.SelectInputMenu:ShowMenu(LayerGroup, EditorWindow, Rect)
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MapLabEditor:DrawGroup(LayerGroup)
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MapLabEditor:OnGUI()
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

do i need another MS visual C++ again? :D

EDIT:
    im try to reimport nu assets folder, and got some error in console

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.MemberReferenceReplacer.MemberReferenceReplacementForProperty (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference method) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.MemberReferenceReplacer.MemberReferenceReplacementFor (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference methodReference) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.MemberReferenceReplacer.Visit (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference methodReference, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.Cil.Instruction instruction, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.Cil.MethodBody methodBody, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.MethodDefinition methodDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition typeDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition moduleDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assemblyDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
    at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit[AssemblyDefinition] (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition node, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Extensions.DoAccept[AssemblyDefinition] (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition definition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor visitor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Extensions.Accept (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assemblyDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor visitor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.AssemblyUpdaterStepBase.Apply (AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterPipeline.Run (AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AssemblyUpdater.Application.Program.CheckForObsoleteAPIUsage (AssemblyUpdater.Application.CommandLineSpec config) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AssemblyUpdater.Application.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    UnityEditor.Scripting.APIUpdaterHelper:DoesAssemblyRequireUpgrade(String)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  23. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

This error seems to occure sometimes. Considered as a Unity internal bug.

Also considered as a Unity bug.

Try change the the color space settings to a value matching your project's color space.

24. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

Trying in new project it seems work

today im upgrading my unity to 5.2.3 p1, maybe that version causing problem

25. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

@Ysgramor let us know when something doesn't work as expected.

26. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

small issues i found so far:
    - some custom meshes didnt show up (i try load human meshes :D)
    - need more zoom closer so i can see some details changing (for working with custom meshes)
    - sometimes material preview goes black (i fixed it by clicking ur material in editor default resouces folder, then the preview matching again)
    - it seems ure not icluding custom shader in this version (previous version has one)

other than that, all working as expected

still, this is great tools (i dont need convert all tex to pbr manually :cool:)

27. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

@Ysgramor The next version will have exposed min and max distance settings for the zoom.

Check the file scale and scale factor in the import settings of those models.

28. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

Hi @nu-assets i found some interesting approach for best previewing my material
    here's the step:
    - create new material
    - add that new material in map lab custom material
    - add that new material in ur mesh (place ur mesh on scene)
    - then ur mesh will update their material based on ur tweaking in map lab (click on ur new material if the preview not updating)

dont forget to set the quality as best as possible (ultra give best result)

with this approach i can look my material changing in scene view also in game view

that's the secret power of map lab :D

montyfi and S_Darkwell like this.
  29. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Sorry for my absence, been a bit busy. I'm gonna be testing MapLab this week with our game.

30. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

@Ysgramor good to see that some custom approaches are evolving around Map Lab. :)

31. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Make sure you download the latest version.

32. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Will do.

33. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

We exluded the previously included shader because it's deprecated.
    One of the upcoming versions will have two improved parallax shaders and a DX11 tessellation shader. The new shaders will replace the old one.

map_lab_tessellation.jpg

jimmy_doodle, Ysgramor and Teila like this.
  34. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Version 0.5.5 available for download.

Changelog

Features
    • Translation filter added
    • Map preview now reflects realtime updates
    • Temporary RAM usage display
    • Layers can now be collapsed/expanded
    Fixes
    • (OpenCL) Diffuse-to-Normal filter: fixed issue with Derivation and Centered Derivation mode

S_Darkwell likes this.
  35. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

Been busy recently, trying new beta version today, and run smooth no bugs

next, waiting the new custom shader :rolleyes:

36. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Glad to hear! :)
    Next version will be released on 7 or 8 December including the new shaders and a overhauled Normal-to-Height filter for CPU and GPU.

37. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

Great!, wanna try the new shader when released :cool:

38. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Version 0.5.6 available for download.

Changelog

Features
    • Single layer input support added
    • New parallax shaders added
    • New DX11 tessellation shader added
    • Normal-to-Height filter overhauled and available on CPU and OpenCL
    • Context menu on layers allows duplication, layer naming and input selection
    Fixes
    • Orthogonal projection near clip fixed
    • Custom Unity Standard shaders have now all shader flags activated

Ysgramor likes this.
  39. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi
    Checked last 0.5.6 with 5.2.3f1 and 5.3 on OSX Mavericks and generally it´s much nicer now!
    Crashed on 5.2.3f1 and works much more smoothly on 5.3. U5 Specular doesn´t show Albedo. Generated Maps should be 512x512 px but are 1024x512 px.
    The ability to show/hide a layer is great, but i would prefer it to show an eye-symbol on tab. And also a quick way to solo a layer!
    I´m on a MacBook pro with Retina and therefore would like to scale up the preview window of the channels by factor 2. A window which is restricted to 512x512 doesn´t show much! I know, i can dock it...
    And Height layer does something now, but not much. It shows only some vertical lines, which looks funny.
    And should the tessellation shader now working on OSX in 5.3? It doesn´t seemed so.

Cheers
    Michael

40. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

The albedo is there but material has 100% specular when no specular/smoothness defined. Therefore you can't see the diffuse colors.

Soloing a layer is under development.

We are working on a retina solution.

Seems to be a Unity bug on OSX. After setting it to fullscreen you can resize it as you want.

Hardware tessellation is currently only available for Windows. I've heard rumors that it should be supported someday.

These are integration errors (artefacts) as it's a approximation filter. Using one of the lower frequency layers as input (not Combined Output) weakens that effect.

41. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Introducing: The Map Tiler. Will be part of the upcoming 0.6.0 update.

map_lab_tiler_twitter.png

S_Darkwell and jimmy_doodle like this.
  42. jimmy_doodle

jimmy_doodle

When do you release the 0.6 version?

43. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

There's no official release date yet. But it's worth to wait. :)

44. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Version 0.5.7 available for download.

Changelog

Features
    • Map Preview: Improved render performance
    • Map Preview: Infinite map worspace (draggable)
    • Map Preview: Improved tiling/zoom (mouse wheel)
    • Map Preview: Seam rendering support

45. unicat

unicat

Something wrong with the 0.57 package ? It tries to import my own asset Folder :confused:

46. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

What do you mean with your own asset folder? :eek:
    Does the package not import/load correctly?

47. unicat

unicat

In the import window it shows me the content of my asset folder and the import window is grayed out.
    Other packages imports fine.

48. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Just tried to reproduce without luck.
    • 5.2.3f1 (Pro / Win)
    • 5.2.2f1 (Personal & Pro / Win&OSX)

What Unity version are you using?
    Does the Editor freeze? Does Map Lab start?

49. unicat

unicat

5.3.1f1 (Pro/Win 10). Editor doesn`t freeze. Map Lab doesn`t start because i can`t import it?

50. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Delete the following folders:
    • Assets\Editor Default Resources\nu Assets
    • Assets\nu Assets (Only when using no other plug-ins from us)
    And try to reimport.

Update:
    Does the 0.5.6 package import?