Search Unity

Map Lab - PBR Texture Laboratory

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sycoforge, Nov 5, 2015.

1. salad__fingers

salad__fingers

Got it.
    Very small issue I found, typo. If you click Window, it's listed as Map Lap, not Map Lab:D

2. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

lol, u have good eyes :D
    i didn't notice it

3. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

What Unity version (5.x.x) are you using?
    Personal or Professional?
    What OS (Win/OSX/Linux)?
    What OpenCL version or just CPU?

Could you please email us the recent log file?

Thanks for the report.

4. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

That's an easter egg... :rolleyes:

5. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

Im using Unity 5.2.2p3 (64-bit) Personal
    OS Win7 64
    Im tried using CPU

where i can find ur email? :D

6. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Map Lab then on the right side Support->Mail :)

7. salad__fingers

salad__fingers

Everything's working as it should for me.
    Unity 5.2.2f1 Pro
    System:
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    GTX 780 OC @ 1200MHz
    FX-8350 8 core OC @ 5.0GHz
    8gb ram
    Everything on latest drivers.

8. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Good to hear that someone is testing it on Window 10. :D

9. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

mail send

My rig Info:
    AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.20GHz
    RAM 4GB
    AMD Radeon HD 5570

10. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

11. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

It seems that you like the smell of danger in in the morning... :D

S_Darkwell likes this.
  12. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Beta closed
    Thank you for participating.
    The last copy survived nearly an hour. Congratulation to the last beta tester. :)

13. montyfi

montyfi

I cannot make it work. Added Input texture, preview is still displaying default material.
    Using that texture as source for normal map displays black square in preview.
    Perhaps I'm missing something.
    Unity 5.2.2p2
    Win 10 x64
    GForce 980M
    Memory: 32gb

maplabtest.png

14. salad__fingers

salad__fingers

Extend the window sideways and you'll see a source. Select your raw texture. You need to do this for each tab used

15. iamsam

iamsam

Tested this today and have to say it is 5 stars all the way :). Excellent job.

A few things found during the test --
    -- Only works on Gamma, Linear gives a black material. This is a major drawback as I primarily work in Linear settings.

-- For those getting the default material -- on each tab there is a small button called "Source" (search for "source" in the window, if you cant see it you may have to expand the window) -- It does not look like a button, but it actually is a dropdown menu where you select the name of the texture which is the same name as the texture you selected in the input tab (Example -- if your texture you selected in Input Tab is called WoodBard...., this is the same name you will see in dropdown)

-- When I apply the texture to the gameobject after exporting it, I can only see the effects of normal maps, AOs etc when I open the material in the inspector (it seems that expanding the material parameters triggers some kind of update)

-- There were a few more smaller issues but for a first public beta this is amazingly polished and delivers what it promises.

I will wait for the Linear settings to work and then get back to it for sure.

Keep up the good work guys ;).

16. montyfi

montyfi

@salad__fingers @iamsam I did choose a source for normal map to be my only input texture, AFTER that the default material preview was replaced with those strange ying yang sign, like you see on screenshot.
    What I did:
    1. Drag and dropped input texture -> No preview changes.
    2. Went to Albedo tab, choose source to be input texture -> no preview changes, additional black square appeared (I assume it is albedo preview)
    3. Went to Normal map, choose source to be input texture -> Preview changed to ying yang (nothing similar to input), additional black square appeared (I assume it is Normal map preview).
    4. No way to delete chosen source. Started over to skip albedo and experiment with Normal only. No changes.

I would appreciate any help. For now this tool is useless for me. Tried to make comparison with two other tools I usually use in Unity, but completely stuck here.

17. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

@montyfi could you please restart Map Lab, reproduce all those steps and send us the most recent log file to our support via email?

18. montyfi

montyfi

Sure, I'll send it to you at evening today.
    I'm at work now and decided to try your tool on my work machine, but see no way to re-download it. Your download page is empty for me.

19. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

@montyfi After taking a closer look to your posted screenshot (especially the dark backdrop), I think you have set you color space to linear. Go to your player settings and set the color space to gamma.

color_space.jpg

20. montyfi

montyfi

@nu-assets Hmm, my project is quite big and playing with color space undesirable. But I will create a small test project just for that. Again, it complicates workflow a bit, are you planning to make your tool work in linear color space? I don't think many people use gamma anyway.
    Should ask again, is it possible to put a download link on my order or download page, so I can test it now? You can send me PM or contact in skype if you wish.

21. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Did you download it with the coupon? If yes, just go to Orders and click on Map Lab Beta

22. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Yes. There will be a lot of changes and additional features in the next few updates.

23. montyfi

montyfi

@nu-assets Setting color space to gamma fixed the problem, thank you!
    Looks very promising, I will finish the comparison at evening.

After quick test I found two small issues:
    1. By some reason default preview tiling set to 2, which corrupts preview after applying normal map.
    2. Material cannot be created automatically, this error:
    UnityException: Creating asset at path C:/Users/xxx/Documents/_test08/Assets/Simple Wooden Boat/nu/boatnu1.mat failed.
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.ExporterWindow.CreateMaterial (System.Object obj)
    ch.sycoforge.Unity.Editor.AsyncJob.Run ()
    ch.sycoforge.Unity.Editor.AsyncWorker.Process ()
    ch.sycoforge.Unity.Editor.EditorWindowExtension.EditorUpdate ()
    ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.MapLabEditor.EditorUpdate ()
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorApplicationBindings.gen.cs:270)

24. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Also not getting a preview image. No log text, just blank:

25. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Successfully reproduced (Case: AZYLG1GURA)

The path has to relative to your project's folder (when Create Material is enabled).
    So in your case that would be Assets/Simple Wooden Boat/nu

26. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

This is an open case (AD41Z35J65). This only happens with Unity Personal Edition.

Even if the input texture doesn't get a preview thumbnail, you can work with this input.

27. movra

movra

Since there are no functional differences between Pro and Personal, does that happen because of the editor skin?

28. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

That's certainly one possibility. Map Lab uses an extended editor interface (not the original Unity built-in) so there are some other edges that can cause problems.

29. iamsam

iamsam

@montyfi @nu-assets

I forgot to mention that the exported material does work in linear space. When creating the material you can do it in gamma space and then once created change it to linear.

30. montyfi

montyfi

Sure they will work, problem is not in materials, but in workflow, I prefer to spend time on some creative work, than switching color spaces or exporting textures. But if it is going to be fixed I'm OK with it in beta :)

31. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

The color space converison from gamma to inverse gamma space (linear space) is in development since last week. It will be part of a future update.

montyfi likes this.
  32. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

We will release 0.5.3 tomorrow including linear color space.

S_Darkwell and montyfi like this.
  33. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@nu-assets: I work exclusively in linear, so definitely looking forward to the update!

- S.

Teila likes this.
  34. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

The release of version 0.5.3 has been postponed. It will be released in the next 20 - 24 hours.
    We are sorry for the delay.

35. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Map Lab 0.5.3 available for download.
    Please note that not all submitted issues were fixed in this version.

36. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

try the update, my input file didnt show up in source list, as seen in image below
    mablab1.png

mablab.png

im also trying to export it, but empty warning pop out. and didnt create export file.
    this problem also appear in previous version anyway.

but this is still promising assets though :D

37. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

@Ysgramor Does the input appear when deleting it and then recreating/reassigning?

38. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

@nu-assets i cant delete it, it seems my old problem still appear.

EDIT: if im remove the texture first, then i can delete the slot.

39. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Does this problem occure with all input textures, or just with that specific? Try to manually set the texture readable in Unity the import settings.

40. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

all textures same problem,
    u mean read/write enable in texture import settings? that already ticked.
    seems same previous error appeared.

EDIT: here some error screen from console:
    mablaberror.png

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  41. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

@Ysgramor Are you working Windows 32 bit? Try setting the Platform settings in the Import settings of "nu Assets/Shared/Scripts/sycoforge_imaging.dll" to OS Any OS. And then reimport the scrips in this folder.

42. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

@nu-assets tried it but still same problem.
    Im using win7 64bit with unity 5.2.2p3 64bit personal
    also tried in new project, still no luck :(

43. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

We tried to reproduce it on 5.2.2f1 and 5.2.3f1 Personal Edition with no luck getting the same import error.
    We continue searching for the cause. Sorry for the inconveniences.

44. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

@Ysgramor After doing some research on the problem, we may have found a solution.
    We assume that the VC++ 64bit runtime is missing. Try installing the runtime and let us know if that fixed the import error. You can download the runtime here.

45. Ysgramor

Ysgramor

@nu-assets awesome fast response, all its working now. no errors
    thank you ;)

Sycoforge likes this.
  46. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

It's our job to help. Have fun with the plug-in! :)

47. montyfi

montyfi

Thank you for adding linear support. Couple questions:
    - Metallic always generates specular (ss is specular, right?) texture is that a feature? Can I use metallic workflow? Anyway, it looks wrong in both shaders.
    - Could you please increase max zoom in/out values for mesh in preview? For stuff like a gun it is too small, but for stuff like a boat - too big.

48. MS80

MS80

Many thanks! MapLab is great!
    Really like the interface and the idea of how filters / sources are used, it has big potential and I think there is a shiny future for MapLap ;) I'm greatful to use it right from the beginning!

I have B2M3 in my toolbag, which is not bad at all. But MapLab feels more comfortable, intuitive, faster and easier!

Anyway, I have a few issues / comments (MapLab 0.5.3, Win7 64bit, GTX670, Unity Pro 5.2.3f1):
    • no preview / map generation in linear color mode (0.5.3 + switching to linear in maplab settings), maps + preview are black
    • generating heightmap "normal to height (cpu acc)" does not work correctly, MapLab freezes when changing "Mode" or while editing height map
    • U5 metallic / U5 specular previews look very different, only metallic seem to show a correct preview
    1. specular preview does not show me normal / height / spec / maps;
    2. metallic preview: reflected color is black, does not take selected skybox material into account EDIT: does work if Unity Editor is set to 3D or after baking a reflectionprobe in the scene
    • sometimes generated maps turn black, nothing happens until I change parameters in failed map, after that it works again
    • "file open" does not work as expected, input texture has to be reassigned and most maps need regeneration; also it seems some maps does not work any more after opening xml (spec!)
    • "file new" should delete all preview maps and set maplab to default filters (like you open it for the first time)
    • after adjusting "preview quality" (=preview map resolution) all maps should regenerate automatically instead of holding old preview information
    • switching shader (+maximized preview window) to custom can break MapLab UI; selecting one of Unity Layout presets or restarting Unity can fix this.
    • reflection probe selection does not work: selected probe will not be saved / used as reflection source
    • exporting maps + material does not work (maps are exported perfectly!):
      UnityException: Creating asset at path D:/.../Assets/nu Assets/Export/test.mat failed.
      ch.sycoforge.MapLab.Editor.ExporterWindow.CreateMaterial (System.Object obj)
    • cannot create a build (standalone) when MapLab exists in project:
      ArgumentException: The Assembly ch.sycoforge.Imaging.Unity is referenced by ch.sycoforge.MapLab ('Assets/nu Assets/Map Lab/Scripts/ch.sycoforge.MapLab.dll'). But the dll is not allowed to be included or could not be found.
      UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.AddReferencedAssembliesRecurse (System.String assemblyPath, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 alreadyFoundAssemblies, System.String[] allAssemblyPaths, System.String[] foldersToSearch, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 cache, BuildTarget target) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssemblyHelper.cs:156)
      UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.FindAssembliesReferencedBy (System.String[] paths, System.String[] foldersToSearch, BuildTarget target) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssemblyHelper.cs:194)
      UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI() Error building Player: Extracting referenced dlls failed.
    1+
    if you uncheck "orthagonal proj" in the settings you get way closer to your preview object

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  49. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Currently you have to set the preview also to linear in the settings. this will happen automatically in the next release.

Only the Biased Depth Integration mode is currently working (when the normal map is also created in this mode), the others are deprecated. Use the Gaussian Normal to Height filter for now (GPU only thus massive algorithm load). Version 0.5.4 or later will have a unified Normal to Height workflow CPU/GPU.

Currently the file system is very basic. What you save now is basically a preset rather than a project. Future versions will distinguish between Presets and Projects.

Next version will have an Empty command replacing the New command. New command will load "Factory Defaults".

Will be fixed in the next version.

Identified as High Priority issue (case ACWZNOEFOO)

You have to specify a path relative to your project when "Create Material" is enabled.
    In your case that would be "Assets/nu Assets/Export"

Identified as Critical Priority issue (case AWSHYM5IOJ)

@MS80 Thank you for reporting those issues.

50. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Yes it's a bug. ss means Specular Smoothness, but it should be ms (Metallic Smotthness). The suffix gets not updated correctly (case: AVAIW88HOD). Fixed in next release.

The specular workflow currently doen't reflect the output maps correctly. This get fixed in the next release. To get a quick workaround one must select Editor Default Resources\nu Assets\Map Lab\Materials\PreviewSpec.mat in the Unity Editor to force an initial update. After that the preview gets updated.

Thanks for reporting.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015