Search Unity

Map-ity Open Street Map data for Unity - Official

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RewindGameStudio, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Phaseoutent

Phaseoutent

I purchased it, I've attempted to play around this this, but honestly, I have no idea how to use this. Is there a tutorial that I can use to learn? This would be very helpful. I have no idea what the first step of this is.

2. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Hi Phaseoutent,

Perhaps it's best if you tell us what you'd like to achieve. Map-ity will provide you with access to the OpenStreetMap data for the location you provide.

You can then ask it for things like:
    Give me a list of all the motorways. ( This can then be used by you to place roads ).
    Give me a list of buildings. ( This could be used to create a city )

Another example would be, asking Map-ity for a list of all the buildings and selecting one at random, you could then ask your player to find it as part of a quest.

3. Phaseoutent

Phaseoutent

I would like to use the motorway data from a place such as london to place roads and then use some building assets I've both made and purchased in order to easily build a large scale city.

4. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Ok. For using the road data we would highly recommend a spline based road creation asset such as Road Architect which we're compatible with. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/15739 It allows you to pass an array of points( i.e.The Road ) and will build a road for you. We also provide a sample for this.

It's possible to implement your own either since you know the start and end points of a road and so can work out all you need to know.

Likewise we'd recommend BuildR for creating your buildings as this will take a floor plan which Map-ity provides and create a building from it. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/7292

If you wanted to place your own buildings, we'd suggest working out the bounds of a building and placing your asset within that. You may get some overlapping with that how ever.

This video pretty much shows what you are asking for if I'm not mistaken. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ1U_y7PTq4

We will try put up a step by step tutorial though on our website.

Has this helped you?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Just to update you all, we've started playing with World Composer!
    $Capture.PNG

Geoneer likes this.
  6. Rastar

Rastar

That's great news, looking forward to it!

7. lazygunn

lazygunn

Just the ticket! Cheers! Wont be using it for a lil while but great to see you working with WC

8. daeuk

daeuk

i want to map an entire city, is there a way i can make the zoom level higher?

9. im

im

nice cant wait!

10. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Yes. You can either add to or edit the ZoomLevel enum. It treated as a multiplier. So just add another value like EZoomLevel = 100 . If you prefer we can write a full code example.

11. RagingJacob

RagingJacob

Hi there,

I had a quick question regarding support for other road creation tools.
    Would it be possible for Map-ity to support EasyRoads3D Pro ?
    EasyRoads3D Pro on the assets store

I really hope it'd be possible for your team to integrate EasyRoads3D into your package, because it'd be the main reason for my purchase :O
    I've been mapping out roads with pictured geometry planes up until now, I bet you know how painful this is :(

Thanks in advance

12. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

We've contacted the developers of EasyRoads and are awaiting their big version 3 update. Once thats out we can see how things work together.

p87 and RagingJacob like this.
  13. im

im

thanks for the update :)

cant wait for easy road / world composer support :)

RagingJacob likes this.
  14. RagingJacob

RagingJacob

Very exciting news, thanks Rewind Game Studios :D
    I'll check back on the forum from time to time,
    Map-ity is now on my wishlist, will be getting it ASAP :)

15. Ariopolis

Ariopolis

First off, thank you for creating this asset. I was looking to create my own scripts to do the same thing until a friend pointed me in your direction.

I am still new to Unity and I am wondering if there is an easy way to render maps in the 2D mode.

(n00b question) Is there an easy/preferred way to access Map-ity objects like buildings, roads, water ways, etc?

Again, thank you!

RewindGameStudio likes this.
  16. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

If you open up the sample packages( even if you don't own the asset ) you will see a code sample for accessing buildings etc.

17. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Map-ity uses the X and Z axis, we could perhaps put in a 2D mode which swaps Z with Y. Would you expect a 2D mode to look like a top down camera? Similar to Google Maps?

18. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Ok we've just finished adding Unity 2D support. Trying to find out if we can make it auto switch when the editor switches. Then testing and submitting the update.

RagingJacob likes this.
  19. Ariopolis

Ariopolis

Correct - I would expect a 2D mode to be top-down & similar to Google Maps.

Also, thank you for pointing me in the direction of the code samples; I'll look at that right away.

20. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Ok, so we've been debating this for a while and we're thinking of upping the minimum required version of Unity to 4.3.2.

It will let us support the 2D mode better and generally just brings a better more stable version of Unity.

It's actually quite awkward to support 4.3+ with new features and keep 3.5 working.

Would this be a big deal for people?

21. Ariopolis

Ariopolis

Still being new to Unity, how can I access the 2D functionality you just added? The asset store still lists the latest update as being April 28th 2014 and updating does not appear to be available in the Asset Store

22. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Sorry if our post was unclear. We just added it on our end, need to test it, update the samples as the API has changed slightly and then submit to the store which will take a week.

However if you want a beta build, email support with your invoice number and we can send you the current dev build :)

23. Binary42

Binary42

Although your code is clean and straight forward, i cant wrap my head around this.
    Where do all the other OSM-Tags go? How can i access building information like roof:shape or building: part?

24. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Good timing, we just submitted an update with a code sample for reading tags.

We've gone and modified it for your use case:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Loop over all the buildings in Map-ity
    2.         foreach(Mapity.MapBuilding mapBuilding in Mapity.Singleton.mapBuildings.Values )
    3.         {  
    4.             // Log building id
    5.             Debug.Log( "Building: "+mapBuilding.id.ToString() );
    7.             // Loop over the ways which define this building(usually 1)
    8.             for (int i = 0; i < mapBuilding.buildingWays.Count; i++)
    9.             {
    10.                 // Get the way
    11.                 Mapity.MapWay buildingWay = (Mapity.MapWay)mapBuilding.buildingWays[i];
    13.                 // NULL check
    14.                 if( buildingWay != null )
    15.                 {          
    16.                     if( buildingWay.tags != null )
    17.                     {
    18.                         if( buildingWay.tags.GetTag("roof:shape") != null )
    19.                         {
    20.                             Debug.Log( buildingWay.tags.GetTag("roof:shape").ToString() );
    21.                         }
    22.                         else
    23.                         {
    24.                             Debug.Log("No roof data!");
    25.                         }
    26.                     }
    27.                 }
    28.             }
    29.         }

25. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Hi Everyone,

Next item on our list for Map-ity is better WorldComposer support. So the question is, What would you like it to do? What problems do you currently have? How can we improve it?

Let us know!

26. Binary42

Binary42

THANKS! :)

Edit: Regarding your question, having Map-ity streaming osm map data would make it an absolute killer.

27. daeuk

daeuk

is there a tutorial on how to use map-ity with world composer?

28. StanleyDrunk333

StanleyDrunk333

How to find the floor plan or enter or also Locate in Map ity Through the url, how? Include Step and the picture

How tocalculate the Scale of Unity Map-ity?
    For exampleTerrainHaveheight150,Lengthand width150,150
    How the scale map-ity?

29. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Right now we have an update pending which will match the location set in WorldComposer and the data will snap to the terrain. Feel free to suggest other features.

30. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

There is a code sample in the latest version. Let us know if that helps.

Map-ity uses a 1 unit = 1 meter scale.

31. im

im

sweet... thanks!

32. frankrs

frankrs

does your latest update 1.8 work seamlessly with world composer now?

33. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

It will automatically detect that you have world composer and will centre to the current area. It will also snap to the terrain now as well. If you'd like any other world composer specific features added let us know.

frankrs likes this.
  34. frankrs

frankrs

we bought this last night and its AWESOME.

35. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Thank you! Glad you like it :)

36. frankrs

frankrs

I seem to be having issues with the roadarchitect make roads script with ctreate intersections checked on. am I doing something wrong?

37. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

The way Road Architect works to create intersections is by taking 2 roads and crossing them. OSM data creates intersections by joining 4 end points. So the data we have isn't ideal for intersections. We've asked the Road Architect guys to support intersections like this. So not to shy away from helping but your best bet is to ask them to support intersections like this. The more people that do the more likely they will fix it. They have a copy of Map-ity so should be able to reproduce your issue ( you're not doing anything wrong ). Sorry we can't be of more help.

frankrs likes this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

Does EasyRoads support the Mapity intersections?

39. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

We are awaiting a copy of EasyRoads V3. They dev has said they want to support Map-ity.

hopeful likes this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

EasyRoads v3 is in beta, and they are sending out copies to interested users.

I'd think this is a perfect time to get EasyRoads tested for compatibility with Map-ity.

Maybe ask them again? :)

41. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Guess we'll ask again.

MoonbladeStudios and hopeful like this.
  42. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

43. unbeat

unbeat

any idea how to integrate google maps in unity?

44. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Hmm. Not really sure I should answer that ;) Buy ours instead. But seriously. There are a few assets which integrate google maps with Unity on the asset store. The biggest problem is the licence and restrictions in place don't really make it a viable choice for a commercial product. Map-ity is fine to use on the other hand.

45. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

We're pleased to announce that Map-ity is on sale for the month of October at
    50% off!

46. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Has anyone got any screenshots they would like to share? We'd love to use them to promote Map-ity!

47. LuckyTribe

LuckyTribe

How could i download OSM map picture along with map-ity and scale and align it with map-ity data? What I am planning to do is generate 3D buildings with BuildR over OSM map picture. I attached picture that you had in your post where you draw those map-ity gizmos (lines) over a map picture. Would you have a code example of howto do this?

Attached Files:

48. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

That image is from a test of using Map-ity with World Composer.
    However you've sparked out interest and we've started browsing the web to see if we could support image tiles in Map-ity.

Presumably streaming data takes priority over images for most users?

49. santadiego

santadiego

if I have a world composer terrain with mountain roads will this follow the terrain height? with buildr?
    zoom level in WC is 13. do I set zoom level in mapity to 13?
    is there a way to handle rivers and lakes. like with roads?

there is no manual, just the library calls. when will you have a manual?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  50. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

• Map-ity will automatically snap to the terrain if it detects World Composer.
    • You'll need to modifty BuildR to snap to the terrain as I don't think it currently does this. Best ask the developer.
    • If I remember correctly you won't need to modify the zoom level to match the scale but the unity scale value instead.
    We can double check this later.

There is a samples folder with some basic code samples for using Map-ity which we documented well but if you feel there is still a need for a manual we could put one together.

What questions would you like answered by the manual. We can also gather the other questions asked here and put the answers together.