Search Unity

Map-ity Open Street Map data for Unity - Official

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RewindGameStudio, Oct 21, 2013.

1. im

im

will you be releasing the sample showing how you did the above video using the current release?

2. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Yes we're working on releasing it tonight. I think only to verified owners of Map-ity or post it on our website. Have to make sure not to include any BuildR code I guess.

3. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

We have completed our Mapity BuildR runtime sample package. Contact us to receive a copy.

4. LordAdolf

LordAdolf

Thanks. Basically what I want to achive is a 2D asset for a "top down" solution to render roads. Similar to Ingress's map

5. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Since Unity has introduced native 2D support perhaps we'll look into a 2D mode for Mapity as well. Would that be useful?

6. LordAdolf

LordAdolf

That would be great. And a point in the right direction for getting it to render in the game window would be really useful.

7. LordAdolf

LordAdolf

RewindGameStudio, what do you think using Vectrosity to render points from Mapity?

8. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Ideally you'd want something that could take a texture so you could render roads. Have you looked at using unity's linerenderer?

9. doktor3d

doktor3d

Where can we download the BuildR example?

Thanks

10. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

If you contact our support email with your invoice number. We'll send it on to you.

11. im

im

12. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

We're pleased to announce we've written a custom inspector for Map-ity and also have in-editor maps which has been a much requested feature.

13. im

im

hi

i just got your latest. i guess it has custom inspector. will try it out and give you feedback via email.

so what about easyroads3d pro. i chatted with them and they said they already did some playing around with the data and they thought it would be easy to integrate with map-ity.. so work something out with them as you did with buildr that would be very nice to have... ads value to asset

best regards!

14. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

We've updated our BuildR sample to support the latest version of BuildR v1.11. Just ask for the latest version. :)

15. lazygunn

lazygunn

I just had a massive 'duh' moment, i've been messing with arcgis trials and stuff like that to get osm data into 3d objects and totally forgot id posted in here several times. The timing is perfect too, as i was ruminating in the terrain composer thread i'd like to have osm tile-delivered imagery for a source for the imagery used in terrain composer's sibling, world composer, and I wanted to couple up the imagery, 3d objects produced by the imagery (extrusion would be the most obvious way i guess, and terrain, possibly large amounts, with photorealistic imagery to hand. And a shader like to help pull it together.

This thread just made a whole idea i was losing hope in, work excellently in theory, seemingly with the only real 'gap' being in making sure the mapity elevation (and buildr output) matches up with terrain/world composer. In a perfect world you guys would talk about that *does a big wink, people get annoyed at awkwardness hah*

The timing's particularly perfect because it's 'pay day' by about 25 minutes. Experiments with mapity, buildr, terrain and world composer are forthcoming, if I can get easyroads in on the fun its a party in my unity. I should have checked prices before saying all this aha, i know i can get map-ity, i'll check out buildr, if i can get that too then this will be part of my growing empire of unity people im annoying with questions and enthusiasm

A quick question - where are you getting your elevation data? Is it in OSM? Can I choose my own provider? If I could use bing's service i'd get a neat corrolation with world composer

16. lazygunn

lazygunn

Well I just went ahead and grabbed this and BuildR, i've been wanting to do this idea too much to show conservatism with money, i'll look forwards to seeing what happens, after some sleep!

17. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Be sure to shoot us an email with your invoice number and we'll send you the runtime building generation sample!

18. lazygunn

lazygunn

I think I did! There should be something in your contact inbox with my invoice number, email addy's the same prefix as this here name

19. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Not seeing it. contact (at) rewindgamestudio.com

20. lazygunn

lazygunn

Well, there's no great hurry but i sent an email again, hopefully you got it this time

21. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

We're pleased to announce that we're working with SuperSplines and RoadArchitect and will be releasing sample soon, These will be included in the Map-ity package for you to use.

22. im

im

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  23. lazygunn

lazygunn

I've actually used supersplines before, wasnt my own copy as I was just doing something for someone else, but its really neat and affordable and really, teachnically, you can get any sort of shape extruded and manipulated out of it - could be really useful for some geographical features of OSM

24. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Yes we found it really easy to work with.

25. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

$Shot5.jpg

SuperSplines Sample will be added very soon!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  26. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

$Shot4.jpg

RoadArchitect Sample is also coming very soon!

27. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

'Map-ity - 1.06' has been submitted.

Feel free to ask for early access with your invoice ID.

28. im

im

nice!

29. derkoi

derkoi

I've just purchased Map-Ity to use with Road Architect and I'm getting a partial road build and this error multiple times:

Any ideas please?

30. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Hi.
    Road Architect is still working with us to support each other and as such support is still a work in progress. They just added features in the last update for us. We've seen this when automatic creation of intersections is enabled. For now we suggest disabling that and manually creating them by dragging overlapping nodes together. While this is not ideal it will still save you a lot of time. We'll chase the guys at GSD for an update on the issue. Alternatively since it's a RA issue you might want to post in their thread.

31. MoonbladeStudios

MoonbladeStudios

Will this asset support EasyRoads in the future? Is there a roadmap for future implementations? 10x

32. im

im

i hope so cause i use easyroads...

33. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Yes, we've spoken to the guys and once they have version3 ready we'll be looking to support each other. :)

34. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

We'll be keeping a close eye on the forum today to welcome and help out any new 24hr deal customers!

35. MoonbladeStudios

MoonbladeStudios

GREAT (another 10Euros well spend ...i hope) :) Any chance that you will support heightmap/terrain/water generation of some sort in the future? 10x

36. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

We'll do everything we can to ensure it's money well spent, and thank you for your purchase.

We have some basic height support via GeoNames.org, which allows you to query the height of a point. Beyond that we feel it's out of scope for what we see Map-ity to be. It is however a highly requested feature.

37. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Cool Packge.

I'm using a very popular spline asset called Curvy Splines. Can you add support for Curvy in a future update.

Also, does the package support streaming of the map data, assets ?

Cheers.

38. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Thanks rocki.

We can contact Curvy Spline's developer and look at what would need to be done.

Right now it doesn't support streaming, however we have some code which does do streaming and based on how popular the sale is proving and the number of new customers I see that being the next feature to go in.

39. MoonbladeStudios

MoonbladeStudios

Curvy support will be awesome :D.

Streaming also... let's just hope it will sell well :D

40. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Great, you've got a new supporter. Just bought.

Cheers.

41. Binary42

Binary42

Hey,

could i expect the map download to be working? It does nothing but writing an OSM Header into the file:

Loaded following data: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <osm version="0.6" generator="Overpass API">
    <note>The data included in this document is from www.openstreetmap.org. The data is made available under ODbL.</note>
    <meta osm_base="2014-04-22T19:44:01Z"/>

</osm>

And runns through with out any error to "Saving downloaded map data..."

42. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Hi Binary42,

Sorry to hear you are having an issue. We've just ran Map-ity in a fresh project and the map download is working for us.

So to help you can you provide some more details. Have you changed any settings in the Map-ity prefab?

We get this:
    If we have a location of 0.0f, 0.0f ( As in there is actually nothing there )

Perhaps you need to swap you numbers around?

43. Binary42

Binary42

Oh ... that did it, thank you! :)
    Stupid error of mine, but maybe you'll considder swapping those fields, usally Latitude comes first.

Great package! :)
    And thanks for the quick response.

44. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

No problem Thanks!

I think we chose Longitude and Latitude because that's how we implemented X Y, but I see your point. I say it the other way round :)

45. orbobservation

orbobservation

Seems to be a problem with the generated map data, for example- instead of the map being X - 6 , Y - 0, Z - 6 it's generated like X - 6, Y - 0, Z - 3 so a perfectly round feature is now squashed appearing oblong.

46. JimmyGee

JimmyGee

What or where do I need to change the location for it to work?

47. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Hi,
    Can you send us the coordinates for the problem location. We'd like to try reproduce it and also compare it to the data on www.openstreetmap.org.

48. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Hi,

Map-ity should work for you if you use the prefab defaults. If not, select the GameObject which has the Mapity script on it. You will see a Location section in the Inspector. Expand this. Here you can enter your Latitude and Longitude for your desired location.

49. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Ok, we are aware of the issue now and will start working on a fix. Will post the code changes here while the patched asset is in submission. Thanks for the bug report!

50. RewindGameStudio

RewindGameStudio

Ok here is the fix.

Just replace this entire function:
    We will tidy it up and submit to the store tomorrow. Sorry for any inconvenience caused!