Search Unity

Many Console Errors On First Open (200+)

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by hsmanfroi, Apr 14, 2019.

1. hsmanfroi

hsmanfroi

Just finished reading the whole forum. Lots of people with the same problem but no solution that worked for me.

I have >200 errors on console. If I remember them correctly, some cinemachine + postprocessing, some are entities related, some are weird messages about deleted assets... ?
    • I have the repo cloned with git lfs enabled;
    • I am opening it in the correct Unity version (2018.3.8f1, Windows);
    • I have tried both things mentioned in the github README;
      • reimported the 4 shaders in Firstperson_Projection
      • removed and reinstalled entities package (using the Package Manager).
    I'm currently going through git reset / clean, and reimporting the whole project. When I'm done, I'll report here with screenshots and more details.

2. hsmanfroi

hsmanfroi

The result of reimporting the project: no bueno.
    Next things I'll try:
    • Resolving package references (no idea why they can't be found)
    • Reinstalling 2018.3.8f1 :(
    Any help appreciated!

upload_2019-4-14_13-50-51.png

3. hsmanfroi

hsmanfroi

Updating my pains so far:
    • Some packages in Library/PackageCache seemed to be incomplete, or missing? I deleted that folder's contents.
    • Same goes for Users/<user>/AppData/Local/Unity/cache folder, which seemed to have weird versions of a couple packages (Core RP was missing runtime folder?). I deleted those as well.
    • Re-installed each package through the Package Manager, using the same versions as the original project was using.
      • at this point, I was still getting 200+ errors.
    • I used the menu "Help -> Reset Packages to defaults" and I'm down to 10 errors? :eek:
    Now I'm trying to get rid of these last 10 ones:
    upload_2019-4-14_18-26-15.png

4. d12duke

d12duke

Redownload the package brother.. I'm not getting any of those errors.

I believe somewhere during the explanation on the Github repo they explained that certain things may not work. I fixed them weeks ago but I can't remember doing it... It wasn't complex though.

5. Stexe

Stexe

I wonder if your cloning of the repo messed up. Like the fact you're missing meta files makes me think something messed up in the cloning?

Not sure entirely, but also try cloning an older version of the FPS Sample or a repo someone else has made of it?

6. hsmanfroi

hsmanfroi

Yeah, I think something went wrong on the cloning. No idea what though. I did it the same on my other (work) computer and it seems to have worked there.

I do have a Unity non-personal (Pro?) license on that computer though. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

On my personal unity install, I've re-cloned the repo and now am reimporting the project. Let's see how that goes.

Stexe likes this.
  7. Stexe

Stexe

8. hsmanfroi

hsmanfroi

My problem is solved. Thanks for the help all. Yeah, on both tries the project had completely loaded and imported. I had pulled the repo with LFS enabled.

I'm not sure what went wrong the first time, but here's what I did:
    • uninstalled all versions of Unity;
    • cleared my packages cache (in the user folder, AppData, Local, etc...);
    • reinstalled Unity 2018.3.8f1;
    • deleted the repository from where I had installed it;
    • cloned the repo again.
    • opened the project.
    In the end, I had the errors that are mentioned in the FPSSample page (256 shader keywords, shader import issues), but doing the stuff mentioned there made the problems go away.

One of the things that my old repository path had was spaces and symbols (#) in the path. Maybe that borked something? I am not sure.

d12duke likes this.
  9. d12duke

d12duke

I'm glad you got it squared away! and the spaces / symbols might have.. It could be a wide number of things. 5 gigs of data (not including textures) this interconnected are bound to have issues at times.