Search Unity

Manually initialize XR loader

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Clavus, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Clavus

Clavus

I've disabled the "Initialize on Startup" setting because I want to determine when to load them in script. But from what I can see I need to then load it using the XRGeneralSettings.Instance.Manager.InitializeLoader().

However for some reason, XRGeneralSettings.Instance is always null when I have "Initialize on Startup" disabled so I can't progress. What am I doing wrong here?

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

We do this all the time in our automated tests, so not sure what exactly could be the issue here.

Are you running in Editor or in a player?
    If Editor, do you have any loaders configured for Standalone build target (we use Standalone as the default target for all in Editor play mode)?
    If in player, do you have the a loader correctly set for that build target?
    Do you have a simple,small repro project we can look at and check against?

3. Clavus

Clavus

Been testing a bit and it doesn't happen in 2019.3.0f6, but does happen in 2019.2.19f1 (the version I'm using to work on my game). Testing is done in-editor. OculusLoader is set up correctly.

Included are the contents of my test project. It should throw a nullref exception on XRGeneralSettings.Instance in the InitVRScript when you run the test scene.

Attached Files:

4. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

If it works in 19.3 I suggest using that as the version of management in 19.2 is old. On top of that, we are no longer supporting 19.2 now that 19.3 is released.

5. juliens137

juliens137

Hey There, I'm running into this issue with 2019.4.9f1. I call XRGeneralSettings.Instance.Manager.InitializeLoader() and get a null reference exception. How can I fix this?

6. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Are you using the latest version of management?
    Do you have a manager instance to call on? I.e. have you configured the settings for the build target your are trying to use?