Search Unity

Manual activation Unity 5

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DP00707, Jul 13, 2015.

1. DP00707

DP00707

So I'm on a system that prevents internet access to the internet by Unity itself and there is nothing that I can do about it.

Unity 4 used to allow you to go through the manual process. Unity 5 insists that you Sign into your account first. If you can't (due to said Firewall), you might as well unistall Unity since you plain up can't use it. There is no way to complete the process unless you can sign into your unity account from what I can tell. All you get it "Service not available, please try again later" not that "later" will be any better since the firewall is the issue.

Has anyone found a way around this? If not, hey Unity development team, you need to fix this. How about add a manual activation button? As much as I would love to have full access here, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than making that happen.

2. Jeoffrey

Jeoffrey

I am having the exact same problem.

3. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Unity 5.1.x tells you have no network connection:

1.png
    Click the blue Manual Activation. Unity shows:

2.png
    Press the right-most "Save License Request" button. (It's strange it's on the right not the left.) Save the generated file somewhere easy:

3.png
    This ALF file needs to be sent over to the Unity servers, so does need a network connection. Copy it on a USB or something to a machine that does have internet access. On this internet connected machine you need to hit the website that is shown on the second screenshot (http://license.unity3d.com/manual). When you do this, you'll upload the ALF and get given a file with a ULF extension to download. Copy this ULF back to the machine with no internet access. Back on this network disconnected machine, choose the "Load license" button, select the ULF file you just copied, and Unity will process it and show you this:
    4.png
    Now click the "Start Using Unity" button and you'll get:
    5.png
    Because you're not on the interweb, click the grey "Work offline" button. If you do not have internet access, then many of the new Unity features will not be accessible to you. HTH.

4. DP00707

DP00707

Here is the problem I have. There is no getting beyond this screen. I have the "Service Unavailable, Please Try again later" infinite loop death spiral error. It thinks it has connection, but it will never be able to reach the website. Kind of a temporary but actually permanent error.

Attached Files:

5. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Um... If you unplug your network cable/turn off your wifi, the steps I provide should allow you to activate your Unity. The last screen shot I posted allows you to work offline by clicking the Work Offline button. The screen shot you include seems to imply that your machine is connected to the interweb, but can't talk to the Unity login server.

eXonius likes this.
  6. vijuanand

vijuanand

All ready installed 5.1.2f1, not a proxy issue, also checked the fire wall.
    Stuck on Welcome screen Service not available,
    can visit on unity site and log in but not able to sign in on welcome screen for license, its hard
    Should have to uninstall and switch back to which version? please help

7. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Could you please file a bug report and post the number here.

Try to bypass the welcome screen by launching creating a project and launching Unity via Run (Win) or Command Terminal (Mac)

Run Unity and create or open a project from Run or Terminal;

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  8. CarlB

CarlB

Some of the above solved the activation problem, but once activated, I still can't get to the Asset Store. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get 4.6 to work, now 5.1 doesn't work with those fixes. Pretty disappointed. Customer support says: "...the asset store connection through a firewall or proxy is not yet supported. We are currently working o [sic]supporting it :("

Any ETA on a definitive fix?

9. XZ6_Hacker

XZ6_Hacker

None of the above solutions help. Whatever I do ,it takes me to the login screen where all I get is "Service not available, please try again later". How long would it take fix it ?:(

Prince2913 likes this.
  10. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

What version of Unity are you on?

11. XZ6_Hacker

XZ6_Hacker

I'm using unity 5.1.3

12. berniefitz

berniefitz

I'm having the exact same problem. I can get past the login screen but can't access the asset store within the application. I'm using 5.2.0f3

I had to remove the Lavasoft DLL's before I could even get the login screen to load without crashing.

13. Bonkers1234

Bonkers1234

stil having the problem on unity 5.2.0

14. vPook

vPook

Have the same problem, and when I try to manually upload the file the website gives an
    500 - Internal Server Error...

Im on unity 5.1.2f1 btw.

15. normandguerin

normandguerin

Have the same problem, and when I try to manually upload the file the website gives an
    500 - Internal Server Error...

unity 5.2.0f3

16. Asday

Asday

I was having these activation and survey issues; with the survey literally nothing was showing up; nothing to scroll through.

My fix:

0. Close Unity entirely. Check it's gone in task manager, (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).
    1. WinKey+R "%programdata%"
    2. Right click the "Unity" folder
    3. Properties
    4. "Security" tab
    5. "Edit..."
    6. "Add..."
    7. Type "e" in the box, and click "Check names". It should turn into "Everyone". If not, type more letters.
    8. Ok.
    9. Select "Everyone", tick the checkbox under "Allow" on the "Full control" row in the lower pane.
    10. Ok your way outta there.

Worked when I tried again.

Prince2913 likes this.
  17. perlohmann

perlohmann

Tried this on a Mac with registering 5.1.2f1 today and I got the 500 error as well, also tried the manual activation which did not work either. When I somehow got to the survey screen then there is nothing there so I can get to the next step =(

Jean-Fred likes this.
  18. lectronice

lectronice

Hi folks.

There's obviously a big problem with the activation process. I've tried all methods in this thread, and the only thing that worked was the manual activation by disconnecting my internet first... And refreshing like crazy all the Error 500 pages I've got after that until it worked. About every step of the process caused two or three Error 500, but I was able to download my license in the end.

So hey Unity team, something's broken.

EDIT: I still can't to connect to any Unity server once my licence was activated, including the asset store. So how do I use PlayMaker, which I bought especially to start with Unity? I'm very disappointed and don't understand how such a supposedly professional software can still be plagued with this deal-breaking bug after two months.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  19. TheRexenor

TheRexenor

Hello,

I downloaded Unity 5 (free personal use) a few months ago and create my account while in windows 8.1. I then upgraded to windows 10 and reactivate my license successfully. Unfortunately windows 10 wasn't for me and recovered my PC back to windows 8.1 but now my Unity 5 license doesn’t work.

Please help me with this issue.

Thank you in advance,
    Kostas

20. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hello! :) That is loads frustrating, so sorry for the troubles. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Unity? Windows 10 has a different version of DirectX and that might be one (of many) issues that creep up. :) I

If you have and its still not working, I would strongly suggest submitting a bug. From your post, I don't think you can open Unity, but there is a .exe for the bug reporter. It is found on your computer here:

C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\BugReporter

Let me know how it goes! :D

21. TheRexenor

TheRexenor

Yes! I uninstalled and reinstall Unity and it worked!

holliebuckets likes this.
  22. AkiRAF

AkiRAF

i use windows 8.1 but it's not work at all. how can i do ?

23. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hello :) Could you explain what is not working for you?

24. JayRayOKC

JayRayOKC

Here's what's not working. I am using Windows 10, and on the opening of Unity, a fresh new install, I get "Service is unavailable, please try again later" in a red marquee bar above where I would enter my email and password to open the connected version of Unity.

25. Aurore

Aurore

Are you trying this in 5.3?
    Are you behind a proxy etc? Have you tried working offline or going through offline activation?

26. elven_beast

elven_beast

i cant acess my unity account from the unity app with a service not available notice. i use unity 5.31 on windows seven

27. Aurore

Aurore

You're not behind any Proxy's firewalls etc?

28. JacobVR

JacobVR

I had to rename the licensing file that downloaded from.xml extension to .ILF to get it to be read on my Mac.

29. Rida2

Rida2

hi, After manual activation 5.2, I can make games, but I can not download anything from Asset Store, or import packages. Is there a known issue/ bug- how can I get around this please?

30. startas

startas

This is really dumb idea to force people to register account for something they will never need. Why do i need to make a dummy account to use unity ? offline activation is same stupid thing, you are forced to create account on the website instead...

31. zhengke090

zhengke090

I cannot activate Unity because it doesn't read the licensing file .xml. Have anyone here encountered this issue?

Attached Files:

deep4d likes this.
  32. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Error : Too many threads keeps popping up.
    Can't seem to log on either.

:(+:mad:

33. Eduardo117

Eduardo117

I think I have the solution to install unity any version brings several folders at startup unity put your account etc but you say "service unavailable, try again later" when passing it to you craea a folder in unity called local when you open the folder is empty because the problem of unity will not let you start.

to fix will have to install unity on another pc then will have to start secion with your account they choose the type of license you want to give to accept a project with any name are created after starting unity scene close it and go to the source folder of unity and copy all files that are in the local folder and paste it in the source folder of your unity in your pc

TRY WORTH ;):):cool:

34. Eduardo117

Eduardo117

That would be like a manual activation but not all that confusing procedure

35. koucek

koucek

Hi tried everything and still dont work. When i load license file, unity crash. Doesn't matter if its 5.3 or 4.7 pleas help all crash files includet

out of wifi it will take a moment for files

Attached Files:

• Temp.rar
      File size:
      600.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  36. ev3d

ev3d

I am stuck in an activation loop as well... When i tried the manual activation i get this:
    Image attached

I love how even the activation process of unity is riddled with bugs.. K.I.S.S...

Attached Files:

37. mikewarren

mikewarren

I have a slightly different problem, but since it's related to manual activation, I thought I'd leave it as a comment.

I work on some systems that are in secure environments which means that not only are they not connected to the internet, but no files may be copied off the systems onto removable media. It's been a while since I've tried to do a manual activation, but the process involved copying a request file and hand carrying it to a machine that is internet capable. That's just not an option in some instances. I don't know how I'd fix it, but a simpler activation code system would be a big help in that the request needs to be reproduced by hand.

kundan9170 likes this.
  38. nath2804

nath2804

Hi !!
    I have got an other problem, bu maybe you can help me. I had already a license, but I didn't use Unity a moment and I install it again today. But when I want to connect to my license, it stays a very long time, with "Activation" and "almost there" written on the screen.
    Sorry for my bad English, excuse me I'm french.
    Thanks for your help

39. nath2804

nath2804

Hi !!
    I've got an other problem, but maybe you can help me.
    I already used Unity before, and I stopped a moment. I install it again today, but the manual of activation writes "Activation" and "almost there" when I start it.
    Sorry for my bad English, excuse me I am french
    Thanks for your help

40. pennstatenuke

pennstatenuke

I'm trying to do an offline activation of 5.3.5f1, and I unplugged from my internal LAN to get the software to give me the option to activate offline. I generated the license request file successfully. When I tried to send it to Unity, I got the error "Hwid ulf can't be blank" Any guidance on what could be missing from the automatically generated license file?

41. the_Bad_Brad

the_Bad_Brad

Just use a manual activation and send the file to Unity staff using your smartphone or a laptop with internet access then load the license to Unity.

42. Alex_4x

Alex_4x

Not work manual activation.
    I'm use Personal edition.
    button for manual registration not show.

43. bloomaman

bloomaman

I am having the exact same problem.

44. ComR

ComR

The same problem here. I cannot run Unity, I cannot log in (Services unavaiable. Try again later), reinstalling cannot help. I cannot run Unity even in offline. I cannot start Unity editor at all. I have personal edition Unity, Win 7-pro, 64-bit, administrator, running Unity as admin. I'm dissapointed, more and more angry... Solutions I saw - simply doesn't work. Why are you doing this??? To make people angry??? It seems there is no other idea behind it. I manually registered my copy and it helped me nothing! This is really annoyng bug, or, it's just a way to make people angry. Login problems with no solution at all??? Come on, this is clearly "problem" to make people angry.

45. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

We've been having server failures the past few days which is most likely linked to the issue you're having. They should be resolved now, so if you try to reactivate, it should go through. Could you try again?

46. RBSC

RBSC

I am having similar issues as I too am behind a firewall. I can do manual activation fine, but still am having troubles accessing the Asset Store.
    I was therefore hoping there was a list available of the URL/s that need to be white listed at our firewall so that I can put in an official request to get this sorted?

47. CorruptedBacca66

CorruptedBacca66

I have gone through manual activation two times. but when I attempt to get anything from the asset store it still says I am offline, even though through manual activation it says everything downloaded ok

48. Ezzra

Ezzra

I cannot get the manual activation screen. When I go offline it simply displays the work offline button. How do I force Unity to display the manual activation button?

49. VirusPunk

VirusPunk

My problem is it immediately goes to submit a bug report immediately seconds after loading the activation file. The crash log says access violation. None of the solutions here worked for me...

50. Theo196943

Theo196943

Try the pro patch I've heard that works