Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Manipulating image based off grey-scale values of grouped pixels?

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by justin_kasowski, Jan 14, 2020.

1. justin_kasowski

justin_kasowski

I'm fairly familiar with Unity as a whole, but completely inexperienced with post-processing manipulation. I'm attempting to create a filter that represents what patients with a bionic eye would see. These patients view the world with an 8x8 electrode array. A camera sends the image to a processing unit, and that processing unity converts it to an 8x8 pixel array (or that was the goal). In reality, each electrode creates a distinct shape in the patient's perceived view of the world. For example, stimulating electrode #1 might make a 3 cm streak in the top right corner. Electrode #2 might make a 1.5cm blob in the left corner. Etc, etc...

Is there a reasonable way to implement this? My goal would be dividing the screen into sections, average the grey-scale value of the sections, and then converting that into something visible based off the data we have collected. We're trying to do it in VR. Based off other post-processing scripts, I believe this is possible but I'm not really sure where to even start.

Any help is greatly appreciated!