Search Unity

Manipulating Animations

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Mario167100, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Mario167100

Mario167100

One thing that I've been wanting to figure out is how to manipulate animations with other movements. This is a little weird to explain, but I'll to anyways.

Let's say I wanna make a short movie where a guy is talking to his friend while walking. His head would be turned to side while he is talking to said friend normally. The walk cycle that I have animated doesn't have any head turning action.

How exactly would I go about manipulating the walk cycle to have the head turning? Would I have to have a completely different anim with head turning? Would I have to permanently change the original anim to have the head turning?

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

You can use an OverrideTrack on your AnimationTrack and assign an Avatar Mask just to that override. The base track can play the walking animation, and the override track can play the head turning animation just on the bones specified in the avatar mask. This is similar to layers in an animator controller.

3. Mario167100

Mario167100

I'll try that and come back to you if it does or doesn't work.

4. Mario167100

Mario167100

Thanks man! It worked. I actually have a question, could this work with facial animations aswell? Like I have an animation of some guy saying something and I add an override track.

5. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, I see no reason why it wouldn't.