Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

managing packages outside of projects: To handle asset store updates

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by MrMajorThorburn, Jan 29, 2019.

1. MrMajorThorburn

MrMajorThorburn

I am aware of the package manager within the editor but was wondering how you handle asset packages when you get emails telling you one has been updated in the asset store.
    I am in the process of setting up a new system and in the situation where I want to try and be smarter at what I am doing and managing asset packages in one of the area I would like to improve.
    I would like to be able to download the update and run the build and test out any supplied solutions in order to verify the package and any new functions before I import the update into any projects that I may use them in.
    I used to create a new project using the asset name and version and use open in unity from my assets list in the asset store.
    Is that how you do this?

2. pushxtonotdie

pushxtonotdie

I feel version control is key here. Usually when I update a plugin, I'll make sure my checkout is up to date and has no outstanding changes. I'll update the project with the asset from the asset store on top of the checkout. Then I can use the version control to view what the current local changes are before committing to the project. If for some reason there are complications I can just revert the change. I usually avoid modifying plugins unless absolutely necessary as well.

3. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Hi @MrMajorThorburn ,

I believe @pushxtonotdie suggestion is the proper one. Enable source control on your project to track changes. If the updated asset store package generates problems in your project, reset your source control state to where it was before adding the package.

Even though in the new Package Manager world it is easier to revert back to a previous package version I would still recommend using source control to easily revert any of your project changes.

Regards,

Pascal