Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Managing LWRP changes in UAS

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by jbooth, Dec 1, 2019.

1. jbooth

jbooth

Ok, so here's the deal. If you install Unity 2019.2 and create a LWRP project, it will install LWRP 6.9.0. However, the "verified" version of the SRP for 2019.2 is 6.9.1. Between those versions the shadow/meta pass vertex functions have changed, making a shader in 6.9.0 incompatible with 6.9.1.

I can fix this, of course, but there is no way for me to distribute a version of my asset which just works on both versions of the LWRP available for 2019.2, because the store upload process is based on Unity version, not SRP version.

This whole combination of SRPs and package dependencies was just not well thought out in regards to asset authors. It's not only creating a ton of work, but a nightmare of compatibility issues and huge amounts of testing complexity. My LWRP module already has versions for 2018.3, 2019.1, and 2019.3 which I have to separately maintain and port changes between - and note this is after Unity said the pipeline would be stable and API locked since it was released in 2018.3.

So what am I supposed to do here? Scan the name of the package and look for the string name and dynamically rewrite the shader with the different code?

Rich_A and MrPaparoz like this.