Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Managing huge number of assets

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AlexFormoso, Oct 11, 2013.

1. AlexFormoso

AlexFormoso

For instance, lets say you want to make a Football Game. Each team has minimum of 11 players, each of them have a diferent mesh+texture. If you make a game with, lets say, 30 teams, thats 330 models and textures. How the hell do i manage those?

I mean, when i make my Player to choose a Team, i have to actually instance the 11 players of that team, and the 11 players of the OTHER team in the field, how can i manage that withough making a huge clusterf** of the project?.

What i am trying to do right now, is to have a "Team Manager" wich contains a reference to all of the 30 "Team Prefabs" and inside each "team prefab" i have the 11 Players inside an empty Gameobject. But i really dont know if thats the "correct' way of doing so, or if someone has another sugestion on "how could you do it".

Sugestions and help is highly apreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    (I posted this to scripting and since nobody answered im moving it to General)

2. AlexFormoso

AlexFormoso

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Why? Do you really need more than 1 mesh? I can't imagine that you'd need many textures either; one for each team uniform (with a matching decal texture for uniform numbers), and a few variations or so for different player facial features.

By the way, if you think your topic is better suited for a different category, please ask a moderator to move it instead of posting duplicate topics (which is against the rules).

--Eric