Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Managing Editor time Camera / Render pipeline settings?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Vince-Chimp, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Vince-Chimp

Vince-Chimp

I have an editor tool that in standard Unity rendering, calculates something based off of shader work.

It used to work using Camera.RenderWithShader(MagicalShader).

After jumping a lot of hoops, i have now made it work with URP.
    It required me to set up a ScriptableRendererData, to overwrite all objects, to render them with a material especially set up with this old shader, just to make this "RenderWithShader" replacement. But it works.

Now the problem is, this is a tool i roll out to the company. But currently it requires manual setup. I need to add this ScriptableRendererData to the project configured UniversalRenderPipelineAsset in the graphical settings of the project.

I tried injecting myself into that file through the settings, which seems impossible (and even if that workflow did work, it would be nasty to have an editor only tool inject itself into project settings)

And i tried to just set up the specific camera's i use to use this specific settings (which is obviously not how it works)

I can't think of any clean way to do this setup. Something that used to work out of the box, is now a pain to set up, and borderline unusable even when i do set it up.
    Heck, even if i have a user put it in manually, i still need to know the index it is at, to configure my camera to use the right RendererData while running the tool.

There has to be a much better way to do this?

2. Vince-Chimp

Vince-Chimp

Bumping because no replies.

3. Vince-Chimp

Vince-Chimp

Surely someone is on this, right?

4. Vince-Chimp

Vince-Chimp

The answer is no. Nobody is on this. It is terrible, and unity doesn't care.

5. Vince-Chimp

Vince-Chimp

Another 6 months passed. Nothing changed as far as i can tell.