Search Unity

Managing a asset package for the asset store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by craigjwhitmore, Oct 10, 2020.

1. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

I have a package that I'd like to publish on the store, however, as I'm new to publishing, I'd like to tips on how is the best way to go about managing my project, which consists of 3D models.

I have a development project, which has stuff that I've used to create the package and obviously don't want to publish this stuff. The models are stored as prefabs & generated with their associated shaders and textures into their own folder structure. I store the entire project on Github.

I'm thinking that I should fork the project on Github to a separate project which I can place on the store.

My question is, how do I manage the models, so that if someone else is using them, if the models are updated, that when the user updates the package with updates, any models that they have used will also be updated. When I update the models/prefabs, they are entirely regenerated and would lose their original meta files. Do I need to keep the original metafiles on the release fork and only fork the prefab files, as not to overwrite the meta files with new ones?

Any advice on this issue is appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

2. Aviryx

Aviryx

I'm not sure I can help with everything but I might have some useful info.

AFAIK, it's best practice to keep all of your stuff under a single folder (usually your name/asset publisher name).

1) This means anything you have in your assets will not impact my current setup. For example, I might have a folder called "ThisFolder" (/Assets/ThisFolder) with a bunch of scripts or models. If you do not use a folder structure like this then your stuff will be imported into the root, and if you just happen to have a folder called "ThisFolder" then whatever is in it will be placed in my folder (and may overwrite scripts etc).

Assets/CraigJWhitmore/AssetPack01
    Assets/CraigJWhitmore/AssetPack02
    Assets/CraigJWhitmore/AssetPack03

2) This means that if I want to buy multiple assets from you they will all be imported into that folder.

3) "how do I manage the models, so that if someone else is using them, if the models are updated, that when the user updates the package with updates, any models that they have used will also be updated."

Not 100% sure. I would assume most people would download your asset (model) and then maybe make a prefab of their own. So if they update the package it would not impact the model.

3. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

Thank you, this is helpful info.

I'm of the opinion that I should release a small free version of my asset first, primarily, so that I can get at lease a modicum of experience in publishing an asset without too much backlash if it goes south, so that when I release the full version, I'll have the major kinks flattened out before hand.