Search Unity

Malfunction: The Project

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by CrazeDevelopment, Feb 17, 2011.

1. CrazeDevelopment

CrazeDevelopment

Hello everyone,
    I have decide to post this today to showcase and inform upon updates to my game project known as Malfunction.

I will quickly skim over the projects history.

Many months ago, I discovered the power of Unity's free standing game creation abilities. I was blown away, I had never before found such an incredible tool. Unfortunately, I am 16 and no one I know or schools within my age range consider teaching classes that would even remotely help me expand my knowledge upon game development skills. With this in mind, I set out upon a quest to fix this, people forget that the world has young bright minds wasted upon mundane school activities. I have been home-schooled my whole life and am quite proud of my achievements that is has allowed me to gain. I realized I have a gift that few others are allowed to enjoy, freedom, the ability to create without limits. I wanted to share this gift with people who are not so fortunate as to have time to pick through hundreds of youtube videos searching for the correct tutorials, hunt down obscure websites or browse forums in search of learning materials. So I decided, I was going to learn everything and anything within my power that could help me to better understand Unity and by doing so, I would gain the knowledge required to teach a class on game design to my peers.

I have had a lengthy background in development, which has helped me along my path. I worked as the head developer on a gaming server of nearly 5 thousand active users and 300 thousand players came and went under my reign. Unfortunately the morals that held the group together vanished and with them, my loyalties. I have worked with a variety of interesting posts as well, ranging from level designer, to modeler, to management. Seeing as I had found Unity, I abandoned most these posts and decided to journey out on my own with a friend of mine, Keavon. I realized that without many, many different attempts at multiple genres I would have limited understanding of the range needed to teach a class. I have done a wide genre of games so far and am somewhat proud to mention that my class is due to start within a week. I have made my final project rather, simple, but still inventive. I may not have mastered all of Unity's elements over the past months, but I certain have a wealth of knowledge to pass on.

About the time this game was coming into its final stages, I realized Kongregate was hosting a competition, which was a perfect example of how games could become popular. It is a good way to motivate students, to see their work grow and please the masses would be an unrivaled feeling of accomplishment. I decided i would publish this game as an example and that hopefully in the future, I will proudly comment on the games of my soon to be students/friends.

This is my project: Here

I will post updates that have to do with my class and/or with the game if anyone seems interest.

I appreciate any feedback or advice on resources for the class.

Also, if you have any suggestions for the game, please don't be shy!

Thank you for reading, I know it's long, but it means a lot to me that some soul would take the time to read through my atrocious grammar and still come out better for it.

~Craze

Note: I know the game seems quite simple, but remember, I haven't taken university classes or hold any degree in anything and everything you see there was my creation, from scratch, with free programs, nothing torrented. I stand as entirely self taught and am proud to say so.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

Well done mate, you will have a bright future ahead of you, your project looks great and nicely polished, keep at it, you have the right stuff to make it in the games industry.

3. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Soooooooooooooo much text, and then the actual link hidden in it. :|

4. CrazeDevelopment

CrazeDevelopment

Sorry, I am not really one to simply spam links, if I am going to display something, I make sure its done right.

@sh0v0r Thank you for your kind words! ^_^ they mean more than you know :)

5. pinkhair

pinkhair

Very impressive! The hard work shows.

6. RoiDanielsen

RoiDanielsen

Awesome addictive game!

Enjoyable reading as well. I envy you, and your freedom. I'm constrained to school, and not even a school that I want to be on, but I need to have SOME education to be able to make money one day :p

7. justicar

justicar

Excellent work. This is exactly the sort of game that belongs on iDevice. I'm just sayin'

8. CrazeDevelopment

CrazeDevelopment

As it says in the games notes, I built it with iOS in mind. I am generally interested in putting it onto the iPad, unfortunately it isn't really that optimized, the main menu loads as many as 350k tris at once which, I know that an ipad would explode trying to do.

9. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

LOL! I was about to hit back because I thought it was just a whole bunch of text!

10. CrazeDevelopment

CrazeDevelopment

xD, I don't blame you, I just really do want to explain the story behind it, not just try to sell it to anyone who will listen xD slightly different mind frame than the rest of the Kongregate mob xD

SMALL UPDATE: I am creating an Achievement system, any ideas? I already have 16 invented and the icons created. I also have been working on creating how they will be displayed and monitored.

11. CrazeDevelopment

CrazeDevelopment

Update With picture:

This is what it would look like if you had achieved all the achievements for the game: