Search Unity

Male base 1/Fem base 1 RPG starter and UMA Multipurpopse Avatar

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Aug 14, 2014.

1. hopeful

hopeful

Just to be clear ... UMA uses slots, so are you talking about the texture for each slot, or are you talking about the resolution for the combined slots (character atlas)?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi. As hopeful mentioned, UMA assets use a modular texture system. That would be 1024 for the Upper and 1024 for the Lower. Gloves, Helmet, Boots, and Shoulders are 512. It's about 2048 x 2048 with all the textures combined.

hopeful likes this.
  3. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Hi, thank you for the information. Darn, if they are atlased, I was hoping for 4096 for the atlas texture. Thanks anyways!

4. kenamis

kenamis

The default total atlas size is 4096 and remember you might need the body textures too (or textures for other mixed equipment), and at least the face even if the whole body is hidden from every robe piece being on.

5. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Ok, I think I am confused because I haven't used UMA yet. Are you saying that the clothes and skin textures must share the same atlas, instead of having separate atlases? Which is why the clothes being 2048 is ideal, since the final character texture must include both the clothes and skin?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  6. kenamis

kenamis

Yea, every texture/overlay with the same uma material will be merged at runtime into one atlas for efficiency. So, for example, if all your equipment is using a pbr material and you're using the default skin on pbr, then they will all get merged into one material for one drawcall. By default (you can turn it up higher or lower) the total atlas size is 4096. By default uma also scales all input textures by 50% (you can change that factor too).

Deleted User likes this.
  7. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

I see. Thanks for clarifying that. I am still concerned that the textures for the clothes will end up too low res for me to use in my game. But to get a complete idea, I need to buy Will B's base character package, and then one of the clothing packages. Maybe I will bite the bullet and hope it is usable for my game. The textures definitely look great from a distance.

8. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

Currently the package i dl from his site is a mixture of 1024 and 512 textures depending on slots. Maybe @justb can provide higher res textures for you, or if UMA can go higher than the normal merged max i dont know :)

hungrybelome likes this.
  9. hopeful

hopeful

It seems to me that you should be able to do some tests on resolution without a financial commitment. I wouldn't want to dissuade you from buying Will's art, but you should be able to get an idea of what's going on with slots and atlases in the basic UMA kit ... and that's free.

hungrybelome likes this.
  10. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

I agree with testing out UMA first, and I'm currently in the process of doing so. However, some textures like the eyes of the default UMA assets are so terrible compared to Will's that it is hard get a good idea of how Will's will compare. Anyways, I'll probably just buy the base avatar of Will's so that I can first see how the eyes look up close.

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

The sample scenes in UMA by default lower the texture resolution of every overlay. (it does this to maintain compatibility with extremely old graphics cards). If you want to see the textures in their highest resolution, you should open the UMA_DCS prefab and change the "initial scale factor" to 1.

Modifying this value is also an easy way to increase or lower quality at runtime as part of your graphics performance options.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

hungrybelome likes this.
  13. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Thank you, that's good to know! Actually, your default texture solution might be ideal for game, after some experimenting. Thanks for your help.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2018
    Ramsdal and LukeDawn like this.
  15. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Incredible work @justb that shirt pack is amazing. On my to-buy list straight away.

Would love to see some more rag clothing, real lowest of the low poverty stuff, and fur/skin clothing for northern/Viking types.

Deleted User likes this.
  16. KospY

KospY

@justb Does it possible to create a female version of your free Robe set?
    I will be happy to buy it if you make it available!

upload_2018-9-13_12-14-8.png

Also, where can I find the UMA Rogue refit wardrobe files? I didn't find them in any RPG package.
    Thanks!

Ramsdal likes this.
  17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey KospY. The Rogue set is currently being checked for issues. The wardrobes files will be included. The arms have also been added to the Torso instead of separated. Should be up soon.

--------------------

Brief overview of recipe creation:
    Right click folder create/UMA/ Wardrobe recipe /Name it/Drag the slot/Overlay to the recipe,
    Choose the body part it will go (chest, hand etc, and choose the race)
    Click the Race box at the top and choose whichever race you want (UMA Male, UMA Female DCS etc)
    Choose which body part it hides
    Add to Global library window (Main Menu/UMA/Global Library)

18. KospY

KospY

Nice, I will wait the update then :)
    You didn't replied about the female version of the free Robe set, does it's something possible?
    Thanks!

19. hopeful

hopeful

Actually, changing the Robe over to female is a good novice project for people starting with UMA and Blender. It shouldn't be that hard to change the Robe to fit the female model ... and how rewarding it would feel to be able to do that yourself! ;)

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi KosPY. I'm currently busy with work, contracts, store updates and RPG starter 3. I won't be available for any extra work for a couple months. If you try contacting me after a few months I'll better let you know my availability and freelance prices.

email:

will@willbgameart.com

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ramsdal likes this.
  22. Deleted User

Deleted User

23. KospY

KospY

Any ETA about the rogue set update?
    Thx!

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Will have a look at it this weekend.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2018
  26. KospY

KospY

27. DragonFist22

DragonFist22

I just bought the UMA Chainmail set and am having trouble getting it to work. I don't see any recipes other than the generated on which throws null reference errors. The demo scene also throws null references when moving sliders.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looks like it was added to willbgameart.com, but not the asset store. It's submitted and should be up in a few days.

Can send package via email if you need it before then: will@willbgameart.com

UMA Chainmail set 1.4:

-Organized folders , added Blend, tested version conflicts and conformed to HSTLHF set up.

http://willbgameart.com/product/uma-chainmail/

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

UMA Tavern Pack 1.1 added to site (Single set/RPG starter 2) plus submitted:

-Added Barmaid 1 skirt only variation, tweaked weighting, updated boots and fixed clipping
    -Organized folders , added Blend, tested version conflicts and conformed to HSTLHF set up
    -Uses hide mesh assets

http://willbgameart.com/product/uma-tavern-pack/

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Leather Tier 2 and 3 Low poly normals Wip:

ScreenHunter 788.png ScreenHunter 786.png ScreenHunter 789.png

Ramsdal likes this.
  31. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

lpprefinal.png lpprefinal2.png

Leather Tier 1-3 pre-final.

pushingpandas likes this.
  33. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

I bought your RPG Starter Pack, but it does not work with UMA. UMA works out of the box and neatly randomizes the character in the set-up scene. I then add the Wardrobe directory to the library, and everything seems fine. After that however, UMA refuses to randomize: all characters stay naked: sometimes they wear pants, but that's about it. This is perfectly reproducable. I'm using the newest version of Unity. Reimporting UMA does not help.

Also when I add Wardrobe recipes from the RPG Starter Pack manually, nothing changes, besides the occasional pink texture indicating an issue.

In-game, your standard characters look fine, but I want to be able to change their appearance. Stacking beards with avatars on the same game object does not work either: even when both the beard and the avatar use the very same animator, the beard will animate differently, coming lose from the fase constantly, like it's rigged somewhere else. Issue is: it is rigged on exactly the same bone as the head, so that's not it.

34. Jaimi

Jaimi

I recommend deleting the UMA folder completely, reimporting it, and then reimporting the RPG starter pack. Make sure that the starter pack does not contain any of the UMA source files. Sometimes older files included some source files with them, causing compilation errors. Once you have an error-free install of UMA (if you are using 2018.3, you should be using the UMA 2.8 RC3 from here: https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/UMA/releases/tag/v2.8rc3 ), you should drop the entire UMA folder onto the global library, and let it index everything.

The wardrobe files, DCS (DynamicCharacterSystem) scenes, and global library are all used by the UMA 2.5+ avatar called The "DynamicCharacterAvatar" (DCA). The older scene files with the crowd and crowd randomization do not use the DCA, wardrobe recipes or global library, and should not be affected by adding anything to the global lib. They have their own scene-specific libraries. That is why I'm guessing something has gone haywire in your UMA build.

On the beard - UMA will generate a combined mesh for your character with the beard and tie it to the same skeleton. It should never be on it's own rig with it's own animator, as UMA characters will have different bone poses and bone transformations that would not be carried over, so there is no rig-matching possible.

Open up the "Simple Setup" scene, and you should see the default UMA male. Select wardrobe items from the menu to add and rebuild the UMA. Add a beard to the UMA, and you can see how it builds and combines the meshes.

Hope this helps.

kenamis and TeagansDad like this.
  35. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

I'm afraid it changes absolutely nothing. I'm new to this: is this because I'm using the MB1 FB1 PBR RPG Starter Pack instead of the UMA RPG Starter Pack? If so, I'd like to exchange it... I was completely under the impression this pack was UMA-compatible, especially because there's an extra Wardrobe file on Will's site that ties this package up with UMA.

As said, the standard UMA works. It's when I implement the RPG PBR Starter Pack's Wardrobe (separate file on Will B's website) when everything stops working.

P.S. In the UMA's Simple Setup, the character slides off the terrain. That's the least of my concerns though.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  36. malkere

malkere

I use the RPG packs and the wardrobe files with a slightly older version of UMA 2.5. I haven't upgraded in probably 6 months or so. But it works fine. Definitely some fiddling required for anything, and lots of settings/options. I think you're just missing a switch somewhere. Wish I were better at it, Jaimi certainly is though.

LoekvanKooten likes this.
  37. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

Okay, so reading previous postings I now find out the MB1 FB1 PBR RPG Starter Pack is not compatible with UMA. This could have been stated a bit more clearly in the Asset Store (in fact it's not stated anywhere and there's even a Wardrobe file making this "work" with UMA). Hopefully Will B is willing to give me a refund, as paying 300 USD twice for the same package is overdoing things bit.

I *trust* this will be done and will show my goodwill by immediately buying the UMA RPG Pack. Even if I don't get a refund, there is no choice anyway: there's hardly anything else on the market.

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah - that is not the UMA version of the pack. UMA is broken because of non-existent slots and overlays referenced in the recipes that you indexed. The wardrobe files are for the UMA version - they don't make the non-UMA version work with UMA.

39. Jaimi

Jaimi

Our replies crossed - Will is great to work with, I'm sure you won't have a problem.

hopeful and LoekvanKooten like this.
  40. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

41. hopeful

hopeful

MB/FB was Will's initial version of humanoid models for the store. After he'd been working trying to create models in that theme for a while, he discovered UMA and started making clothing and base models for UMA. IIRC, some of the stuff from MB/FB he converted to UMA, but mostly he went full UMA once he started with it.

So, while there's some grounds for confusion ... basically, MB/FB is legacy non-UMA stuff. You can still manually convert it to UMA in a 3D modeling program, but you may as well get the UMA version and skip the conversion process.

42. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

Yes, I have the UMA package now. Jaimi: the Simple Setup in UMA's Github version is bugged: once you play, the character slides off the terrain. Once he has fallen off, there's nothing you can do anymore. Also the Wanderers Belt crashes UMA: it pauzes, the interface disappears and you have to restart Play.

I'm still wondering how to get a character created in Simple Setup in my actual Game Scene. Saving and loading the prefab doesn't work. Saving the asset via the UMA menu gives me an asset, but I have nowhere to drag it. Dragging it straight into the scene doesn't work either.

The best I got in my game scene was a Dynamic Character with the correct wardrobes on it, but it fails to initialize and shows nothing. Only when I removed a wardrobe at runtime it got triggered and suddenly showed what it was wearing.

When I drag UMA_DCS and UMADynamicCharacterAvatar directly into my own scene, the avatar is completely invisible in play mode.

The weakest point of this whole system is the documentation. Almost nothing is documented. I'm just trying hundreds of things hoping that one of them will work.

I'm willing to dive into the API later. In this development stage, I just need to be able to generate a character and drag that into my actual game scene. How do I accomplish this? Very precisely please. "Just save and load" doesn't tell me anything. Thank you all very much for your help!

43. kenamis

kenamis

Can you please ask UMA support questions on the UMA support thread or forum instead of in WillB's thread?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/uma-unity-multipurpose-avatar-on-the-asset-store.219175/
    http://umacommunity.boards.net/forum

Those errors have not been reported before. The first sounds like a collider issue. For now, click on your UMA gameobject. In the DynamicCharacterAvatar component, find and expand "Additional Recipes" and remove the "CapsuleCollider" recipe. That should remove the rigid body and collider that is added to the character at runtime.
    I'll have to load up the pack myself later today and see if and why the Wanderer's belt is crashing UMA.

Did you see and try this entry on the wiki?
    http://umadocs.secretanorak.com/doku.php?id=knowledgebase:creating_a_customizable_prefab&s[]=prefab

Also, SecretAnorak has some great video tutorials
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjIhCVu3eN5qLAX7H9Uo6jg/playlists
    https://patreon.com/secretanorak

hopeful and LoekvanKooten like this.
  44. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

That Wiki entry made me finally succeed in dragging the asset to my scene. Thank you very much!

It seems I'll also have to hold on to the FB1 MB1, as my mage has an extra weapon slot, and at this moment I have no idea how to integrate that with the dynamically generated asset yet. But as you said, I should ask that in the UMA thread.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

All UMA assets will say "UMA" in the title. ie. UMA RPG starter 1. Also in the description of most assets it should say "requires UMA".

MB1 FB1 is for standalone characters or existing avatar creators. It was created prior to the UMA refits.

If you want to swap the pack for the UMA version instead no problem. Send me an email @ Willbartwork@gmail.com and I'll send it over.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

willbgameart.com has recently been updated. We're still working on getting the file links up. I've contacted the site dev. Should be up soon.

Ramsdal likes this.
  47. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

Dear Will,

I sent you several e-mails, but have not received any reply yet. Maybe they landed in your spambox?

EDIT: @justb

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  48. hopeful

hopeful

When using the forum to contact a developer about a support issue, it's best to include the forum name (@justb ) to help ensure the forum sends a notification. Sometimes simply adding a post to the thread doesn't yield a notification.

49. LoekvanKooten

LoekvanKooten

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey. It appears the site emails are going to my spam folder. I'm correcting the issue. Will get back to you in a bit.