Search Unity

Male base 1/Fem base 1 RPG starter and UMA Multipurpopse Avatar

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Teila

Teila

Very nice but does it work with only armor? What about the rest of your clothing?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep. All f the body cut vertices are the same as the base mesh. The only thing that's really changed is the shape, normal map and added topology.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
    hopeful and Teila like this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last post example.

Old Base top with new base legs:

ScreenHunter_2425 Feb. 26 22.15.png

BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.
  4. Teila

Teila

Make sure you give us smooth textures/normals for fat UMA's. :)

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think that should probably be a new base mesh specifically for larger people with a new sculpt/DNA to avoid any artifacts in the textures.

BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
    Teila and TeagansDad like this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Blendshapes for UMA are currently being worked on by kenamis. You should be able to use them for animations or morphs. A new blendshape branch should be out on Github after the latest update.

8. Reiika

Reiika

So UMA is getting blendshapes like MCS???

9. virror

virror

Seems like it : )

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I discussed it with him and he asked what people would mostly use them for. I mentioned people like the MCS morph thing. The only issue (for myself) is redoing outfits for individual morphs etc.. It takes longer then just rigging to bones. However; I mentioned other companies might find it useful. We also discussed a possible solution to making "new outfit morphs possibly less painless with retargeting.

Can also be used for animations I guess.

Should be out soon after UMA 2.1 is on the store he said.

hopeful and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  11. virror

virror

I think morphs might be useful for ppl that create their own content anyways, all content on the store dont have to support it i think.

12. kenamis

kenamis

Yea, as of right now I have the UMA system supporting unity's built in blendshapes, like described here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BlendShapes.html
    That means, you can import a mesh with blendshapes on them, create a slot from the mesh and the UMA system will capture the blendshapes and combine them all together on the final UMA mesh. From there you can call SetBlendShapeWeight to weight a specific blendshape. What or how you do that is up to the user, for now. Eventually, I'd like to unify setting specific blendshapes with something like the umaDna so you have an abstract/game specific layer above the individual blendshapes.

FYI: Morphs = Blendshapes

13. hopeful

hopeful

@kenamis - Wonderful! Thank you! :D

I'm not quite sure where I want blendshapes to take effect, but it is good to know they are there if needed. :)

14. Teila

Teila

How difficult will it be for us to make clothing for Uma with Blendsapes? Love the idea but it more complicated than it is now we lose the advantage of being able to make clothes. Will we require a tool now?

15. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Are you thinking about something similar to what MCS AT was thought to be originally (or rather what WE thought it would be)?

16. virror

virror

Its most likely at least a bit more complicated than for bones, and also bones are a bit cheaper on performance. So i suspect many will still go down the bone road.

Teila likes this.
  17. kenamis

kenamis

You could use it for certain customizing that is difficult to achieve with just bones, for example muscularity. The bone set up is great at increasing volume sizes and lengths of limbs, etc, but not so good at changing the topology of the mesh which is where blendshapes can come in. I figure the more tools at our disposal the better.

It is more difficult because you won't get the automatic scaling like with bones. Any blendshapes you wanted to have to the base mesh would need to be replicated on clothing for it to morph too. Will and I have talked a bit about a tool to be able to try to replicate the base mesh blendshapes to clothing, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. To be clear, when this code is merged, there won't be anything preventing artists from making their blendshapes and importing them for use. It'll just be extra labor for every blendshape they wanted to support.

Yea, something like that, but again, that is a future feature, unless someone else creates something first :) Which is more than welcome.

There would be the instantiation performance and the animation performance.
    The primary function I envision the use of blendshapes for are those character customizations that are hard to achieve with just bones. In those cases, it should be an effect that is set at character creation and when a wardrobe item is changed, so not very often. I've set up a scene with several UMAs with a couple morphs on them and haven't noticed a difference in creation time. Bones would still be the primary animation driver so I don't see much of an animation performance hit. This weekend I can run some tests to get some actual data on performance.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Deleted User and hopeful like this.
  18. hopeful

hopeful

So, if I'm understanding correctly, one of the first applications of blendshapes might be on the face for expressions. That's because if you cover the face, you generally don't need to carry the blendshapes onto those coverings (helmet, mask).

A question about how blendshapes work: is it possible to use a blendshape to deform a mesh in character creation, then bake that deform and remove the blendshape? Or do all blendshapes need to be left in once used? I gather in MCS's system, all the blendshapes - being present but not in use - slowed processing down to a crawl. (Probably I don't understand it at all; I just know MCS has had super poor performance compared to UMA.)

19. virror

virror

Maybe its better to move this discussion to the UMA thread instead? : )

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Kenan explaining current UMA blendshape feature (Still wip. No blendshape layers yet)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
    hopeful and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

General reminder:

No assets can currently be updated or uploaded due to the assets store UMA 2.0.5/Unity 5.5 version compatibility error.

22. virror

virror

Should be up on the store by next week, sorry for the inconvenience!
    This should also be compatible with the new 5.6.

23. TheBullet

TheBullet

Hi @justb

I've bought the Sci Fi clothing pack and I have a problem with the arms slot. When I add the body overlay to arms, the texture is not placed in the correct position. How can I solve it?

Thanks!

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Bullet.

Which outfit/item is it?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2017
  25. TheBullet

TheBullet

I'm using the slots Sci shirt 1 Arms with Sci shirt 1 mod, and for the arms I'm using the overlay FemaleBody02 but I tried with other skin overlays and I have the same problem.

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

@TheBullet

Ok. Try this. It Should work. Includes FBX and blend. Just copy the name of the current slot and paste it to the slot builder then delete it. Add FBX, and slot folder, build then add to slot library.

The current one you have uses the Modular textures/slots from the body re-textures pack. It's been merged with the latest UMA 2.1. Can still be found here:
    http://willbgameart.com/product/uma-body-re-texture-vol-1/

Attached Files:

27. Teila

Teila

Problem with this is that UMA allows for bigger bellies through the sliders, which works well for character creation systems. It won't work nearly as well if we have to use more than one mesh in our system. Anyway, just a thought.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not what I meant. The workflow involves exporting a obj from UMA/Unity DNA and then sculpting it and baking the normal map. Saving the Generated asset and importing the maps to use with the DNA.

Not really sure how much time I'll have for that. Will have to see.

Teila likes this.
  29. Teila

Teila

It okay. :) I have my daughter in substance painter right now!

30. TheBullet

TheBullet

Hey, thanks! I've maked a new slot with the FBX but now the arms are lines. Can you make the slot and upload it?

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Lines? I'm pretty busy atm with work and contracts and don't have the sci pack in my current project. It shouldn't be lines.

Please post a screenshot of the result and the inspector tab of your overlay and slot.

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

@TheBullet
    I checked the original shirt file from the pack and there is nothing wrong with the original arms.

In future please post screenshots of your issues, scene and inspector window . Your either using the wrong overlay or the wrong resolution.

hopeful likes this.
  33. TheBullet

TheBullet

On the arms I'm using the same overlay that I'm using for the hands and the overlay fits on the hands. It should also fit in the arms no?

Here you have the screenshots.
    The original issue:
    https://imageshack.com/i/po8rOU4aj

The last issue with the new FBX:
    https://imageshack.com/i/pnYcM12aj
    https://imageshack.com/i/pomBU6jBj

The inspector tabs:
    https://imageshack.com/i/po8bKiEhj

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

You need to learn to make slots man if your going to use UMA :) It's not very complicated. I just tried both versions of the arms and they are fine.

The original arms use the Body retexture modular overlays like I said. I gave you the link to my site package.

The recent arms FBX I sent you use the Default UMA texture. They work fine. There's something wrong with your slot creation.

The more images and information you can send the better I can help you.

Default arm slot is attached. Have a nice day.

ScreenHunter_2475 Mar. 10 13.30.jpg ScreenHunter_2476 Mar. 10 13.32.jpg

Attached Files:

35. kenamis

kenamis

@TheBullet you can join us in a UMA Slack channel if you have questions related to UMA. PM @virror to get an invite.

36. TheBullet

TheBullet

Thank you very much! Now works fine.

I'm a noob with UMA but the strange thing is that when I create a slot with the original FBX the arms look like in the first screenshot but when I create the slot in the same way but with the new FBX the arms are lines... very weird...

Thank you! :)

Deleted User likes this.
  37. TheBullet

TheBullet

I've sent him a PM. Thanks!

38. hopeful

hopeful

If this is your first experience making slots, don't worry. It can be a bit of a rocky road getting started as you need to have all your settings just right or you fail, often spectacularly.

But once you get it, and it's not really that hard, you should be golden going forward. :)

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

No problem. I should have also mentioned the FBX import settings you probably weren't aware of:

Scale 100
    Rig: Legacy
    Animation: None

After you find the correct info I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. Secret Anorak has several tutorials available on his channel:

I guess it's out of date, but might still be helpful. He also has several more.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Something I took from the MCS thread:

Possible in UMA by just making a folding animation. You could either apply it to the clothes in your software or use the animation in Unity. I'm sure you can figure it out if you know how to fold clothes in real life. Interesting idea I thought. Saves time making separate meshes

41. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Does this mean that us old bachelors that pick out of the drier or clothes basket, we can set a wrinkled pile animation? heheh

This sounds really cool! I'll have to play around with this when I get back to working on my RPG. Would be great immersion thing for storing clothes in chests/homes/shops! Thanks for sharing the idea!

42. Teila

Teila

Just like in The Sims 3. Messy people threw clothes on the floor.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  43. ZayLong

ZayLong

Hi, bought the MB1/FB1 Set.https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/20553
    and the Rogue set.

Its working good with my setup thus far.

I'm not interested in the UMA aspect of your assets so I find it a bit confusing on which assets I can and can't use with the set.

For example; Can I use the faces pack? Or is that exclusively for UMA? The MB1/FB1 set implies that it can change faces.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/73428

Whats the difference between what I have now and the Refit assets? Are the refits better? Can I use them without UMA?

Also, some assets seem to be out of date on the unity asset store but are updated on your asset site http://willbgameart.com/

This knight asset for example. has all sorts of PBR and stuff in the description and screen shots, but the one on Unity is still on the draft version from 2014
    http://willbgameart.com/product/mb1-scarred-knight/
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16550

Also there appears to be another version of the MB1/FB1 set on your asset site, thats more expensive than the one on unity.

Is this one better/more up-to-date than the Unity version?

http://willbgameart.com/product/mb1-fb1-set/

Sorry for all the questions but the way things are organized is a bit confusing, and there's a bunch of good assets here for an alright price.

44. Teila

Teila

Will marks the UMA assets with UMA. Those only work with UMA.

45. hopeful

hopeful

@ZayLong - I'm not sure why you don't want to use UMA, but if you are thinking you don't need it because you are going to make all of your characters in the editor, keep in mind that you can still use UMA that way. You would just make the clothing, color, face, and body dimensions choices yourself using the sliders, and then either save off the art as procedural assets or use UMA Power Tools (a purchase) to save off a character prefab.

46. ZayLong

ZayLong

Seriously? I was toying around with it for awhile trying to get it to play nice with Third Person Controller from Opsive.

While I got it to work there were too many caveats and I had to use TPC in an unconventional manner, partially because the UMA characters were dynamic and not prefabs.

I wasn't aware I could make prefabs from UMA, i'll give that a try.

47. hopeful

hopeful

I
    Once you bake the prefab you can no longer adjust the UMA. So it's more of a solution to editor mode developing than player customization.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, do try the newest version of UMA from GitHub. It is muuuuuch easier to work with. You might find it integrates better with TPC.

48. kenamis

kenamis

Do you know Opsive has an example integration you can download? I think there are some errors between the newest versions of the two software though, but it's a good starting point.

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi.

Can I use the faces pack? Or is that exclusively for UMA?

Currently for UMA only. The MB1 FB1 pack was wip, but I became busy with contracts and other work, so it was delayed. I have no time estimate as to when it will be up. I might just do the WIP pack for now. It has a few different male faces. My main focus is UMA for now.

Whats the difference between what I have now and the Refit assets? Are the refits better? Can I use them without UMA?

Refits are the same model armor just refit for the UMA system.

Yes. You can use them without UMA. You can find the Mecanim Rigs on my website.

http://willbgameart.com/uma-mecanim-only-rig/

This knight asset for example. has all sorts of PBR and stuff in the description and screen shots, but the one on Unity is still on the draft version from 2014

That is site exclusive model. Unity currently takes 30% of every sale, so anything purchased through my website goes directly to me. It was to get people to buy something through my site.

If you already own the Asset store version I can give you a coupon for the site version. It's compatible with MB1 (Not UMA).

Also there appears to be another version of the MB1/FB1

The asset store version was changed a couple days ago. It's the same version. Price on site has been changed.

Sorry for all the questions but the way things are organized is a bit confusing

No problem. I'm currently not doing this full time, so I do stuff when I have time in between contracts etc..

MB1 FB1 is for people who already have an avatar system and only want armors, base mesh, or stand alone models.

The UMA Mecanim Rig was introduced after all of the models were complete. Originally it was thought that UMA was UMA only.

The main differences between the two are the base mesh, textures, and availability. UMA's textures are modular and RPG starter 2 pre-final is currently for UMA only.

As hopeful mentioned, anything for UMA will have UMA in the title.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  50. Deleted User

Deleted User

You should check out SLACK. Send @virror a invite request via forum and he'll add you. They will most likely have the answers to most of your questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017