Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Male base 1/Fem base 1 RPG starter and UMA Multipurpopse Avatar

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

If I did convert them, it probably wouldn't be for a while ( a lot of assets to convert). Also, doing morphs up is tedious , time consuming and prone to clipping compared to individual models.

If their tools make that easier and also allow to resell without going through them first then I might. Will have to take a look at the tools first and see what the options are for reselling.

Their stuff is fairly high poly as well (DAZ models). For most MMOs this is not so great I think. 6-12k is a good polycount. Any higher and your looking at single player High poly AAA games. Depends on your tech as well. (Black Desert implements some higher poly base models.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2016
  2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I think that is true of the original DAZ models. They are taking the DAZ models and reworking them. The understanding I had when I first talked to the Morph guys a while back was that they were taking those models and doing the decimation needed to bring poly counts down for broader game use because they knew the original DAZ models were too expensive for a lot of game environments. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was what I was told. At any rate, know you are super busy now. But whenever you get a chance to take a look, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I know you have been mentioned a few times by others looking to use MCS in the hopes you might start designing for it too. But totally understand if it isn't an option due to the extra workload it would add. :)

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey :)

I just want to add that from what I've seen the decimation appears to be automated and doesn't follow a natural topology/edgeflow that would be used for animation. Generally this is ok for LOD but not great for LOD 0. They might have solved this by now though.

Things have slowed at work for the next week or 2, so I might have a look.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  4. l0cke

l0cke

Are already all available packs (packs in RPG starter kits) united to modular version?

5. l0cke

l0cke

justb said:
    "....For most MMOs this is not so great I think. 6-12k is a good polycount. Any higher and your looking at single player High poly AAA games. Depends on your tech as well. (Black Desert implements some higher poly base models."

With several LODs + texture atlasing for LODs you can have almost any polycount even in MMO. So I would be not afraid of LOD0 having 20k poly, if there is LOD1 with 10k and LOD2 with 3k. In reality you see very low number of LOD0 characters. And if your players have weaker HW, you can have switch in peformance menu, which will use LOD1 instead of LOD0 (you can even do it in automatical way, when FPS are bellow some level).

Btw, if you are creating game, you must aim several years in future with graphics. If I start now, I cant use current standards, but I must go above, so when I release the game, it will be standard by that time. Creating MMO is work for many years, so if currently standard is 10k poly per character (for example), I can easily aim on 15-20k.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Which is my point about topology and animation. If it's just random decimation, then your going to end up with bad edge flow and random edge loops/tris on the models you do see.

Depends on the developer. Some dev can throw together games fairly quickly and that's suitable for their needs. Depends on what your trying to achieve.

Also think time versus return. Should I spend a week per model because that's how long AAA titles take? Or should I stick with Decent quality models at a "current" decent polycount. Will I see a return on that weeks worth of work? (Perhaps and perhaps not). It also extends the time it takes to produce a pack or several assets.

There are several factors involved. Right now Armors almost take that amount of time to complete (4-6 days depending on detail).

Yes. Both UMA RPG starter packs are currently modular (including textures, Overlays, and slots). The general parts are: Upper, Lower, Gloves, Boots, Headwear, accessories.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2016
    Teila likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila

I was talking to Joen yesterday about making a showcase for UMA and for your clothing. Since I own so many of them, I am going to set up my marketplace with UMA's and all the clothing you own. A new version of UMA is about to come out that is much better with crowd scenes.

Maybe that will drum up some business for you and make people less afraid of UMA. I love it and while I have looked at Morph3d, my idea of "future graphics" is not the model-like perfection of DAZ. :)

I am glad we all have options. I am not a programmer, and I am probably twice as old as a lot of people here. But I figured out UMA. Took a while and it was not an easy thing to master but I think the new version will be easier to use.

With proper body textures and clothing textures, with proper lighting, they look quite nice. And in my opinion, more rugged and realistic.

runningbird, Deleted User and hopeful like this.
  8. UltraTM

UltraTM

Im very happy with the new Armors. But almost all new ones are Male only :(
    since we use a male/female system we cant use them damn.
    or will they also being convertet to female also?
    would be more then nice and useable.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep. They will be refit for the fem soon. :)

I'll be doing the iron armor first, then the Dwarves after the tiers are completed. Shirt pack should have a few fems as well.

UltraTM likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

RPG starter update submitted:

-Wanderer color alphas fixed

11. UltraTM

UltraTM

Very nice and thank you so much. I love the style of the stuff you are doing :)

12. l0cke

l0cke

Absolutelly agree. Decimation for LOD0 is not good idea, so using decimated DAZ models will cause lots of issues. But for some distant LODs it can save lots of time.

Deleted User likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Steps to make a UMA model. Just for your info. Sent to someone via chat:

1. I make the high poly model
    2. I create a low poly on top of the high poly model
    3. I bake the textures from the high poly to that low poly
    4. Make modular textures
    5. Make Modular FBX UVs
    6. Export those FBX to Unity and create slots
    7. Create additional AC textures
    8. Create Overlays
    9. Create Generated Asset

BackwoodsGaming and hopeful like this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

F_Iron armor is added to RPG starter 2.

ScreenHunter_286 Jun. 23 13.12.png ScreenHunter_287 Jun. 23 13.12.png

Up next: Steel

Jaimi and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  15. Teila

Teila

I know I always ask this...but are these in parts so we can use them with parts of other clothing assets, yours of course. :)

16. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

wait.. you mean female armor is made as something other than a plate bra and chainmail g-string? lol A lot of the armor in current games crack me up. Glad to see you are making realistic type armor!

Deleted User and Teila like this.
  17. Teila

Teila

I expected nothing less from Will. :) So much so, that I didn't even notice it wasn't your typical female fantasy armor.

Thank you, Will!

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey Teila. Yes. Everything in the RPG starter 1 and RPG starter 2 is interchangeable (can be swapped). Including individuals.

TeagansDad and Teila like this.
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Steel Armor concept:

steel concept small.png

UltraTM and TeagansDad like this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Steel Armor WIP start:

ScreenHunter_288 Jun. 23 17.25.png ScreenHunter_289 Jun. 23 17.26.png

21. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I was wondering how the guy in the concept art's legs were supporting all that armor.. Glad to see his quads appear more normal in the WIP! :p Awesome work, as always! :)

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Steel Armor High Poly final:

ScreenHunter_291 Jun. 24 11.04.png ScreenHunter_289 Jun. 24 11.03.png ScreenHunter_290 Jun. 24 11.04.png

23. UltraTM

UltraTM

I really like the steel armor. Awesome :)

Deleted User likes this.
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2016
    TeagansDad likes this.
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

TeagansDad likes this.
  27. justtime

justtime

After upgrade from legacy rig to 2.0, hand positions while attack animations are different and something strange happening with fingers
    screen2.png screeen1.png

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

They amount of bones and names are different (completely new rig). If your importing over the old, you might have to reset the humanoid (FBX import settings/animation/set to generic/ apply/set to humanoid/apply

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Shirt 2 High Poly final:

ScreenHunter_312 Jun. 29 17.44.png ScreenHunter_314 Jun. 29 17.45.png

(Fem Steel is refit is complete. Just waiting on final payment from client before upload to pack.)

Jaimi, BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.
  30. justtime

justtime

I've tried to reimport player model fbx, all animations fbx, change avatars, params in configure windows, but nothing changes

31. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I just got the latest UMA RPG 1 update on the asset store and it re-broke a bunch of the stuff I had to fix the first time. I love this pack, but really, you should take the time to make sure all the slots and overlays are filled out correctly. I only know how to fix all this stuff now after working with UMA for a long time. People who are new to UMA will have no idea how to fix all these errors on their own.

32. Teila

Teila

UMA has been going through a lot of changes lately and quickly. It is impossible for a developer, especially one who also works full time elsewhere to keep up. And....he has a lot of packages.

I am guessing UMA will change again soon. lol

BackwoodsGaming and TeagansDad like this.
  33. Jaimi

Jaimi

Most likely it is the materials - if you don't have the PBR materials from the PBR download, it breaks a bunch of stuff on import. If this is the case, it won't happen in the upcoming version of UMA, as those materials will come with the base download.

BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.
  34. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

No, I have all the right materials. There are just a lot of slots and overlays that have not been filled out or have been set up incorrectly.

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not the case. This is sometimes an issue between Unity versions. ie. 5.1.2 and 5.3.

Please send some screenshots of the ones your having issues with via email and I'll check it out. Everything should be as usual as I didn't set up any slots for anything just included the textures.

will@willbgameart.com

36. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

From what I remember, the Face Pack overlays were all missing the texture assignments. About half of the Wanderer slots did not have a material assigned. The eye overlays in the Body Retexture were missing texture assignments. I think there were others but I don't remember at the moment because I already fixed the ones that were affecting me. I'm using Unity 5.3.5.

37. Teila

Teila

Maybe it was an import issue? I didn't have any problems with the materials with those particular parts. I did have a few that had to be fixed because of wrong assignments, but maybe two..not many.

38. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I guess it's possible... it just seems odd that most of it imported fine and only these particular parts were unassigned. I'm pretty sure I hit issues with these same parts in the last version too and had to manually assign them.

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

I agree. It is odd. That is the Unity version issue. We had that issue previously with 5.2 and 5.3 from 5.1.2. Not sure why it's only those slots and overlays. I'll see if I can upload a 5.3 version in the next week.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

F_Steel Armor added to RPG Starter Pre-order. (Included in the current Steel armor file):

Steel Armor9.png Steel Armor13.png Steel Armor12.png Steel Armor11.png

BackwoodsGaming and Jaimi like this.
  41. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yeah.. I think I remember something similar in the past with either a Unity version change or a UMA version change. With my personal experience though, yours is the only UMA stuff that I have picked up that I haven't had issues with. So I would definitely say there was probably either an import or a versioning type issue somewhere. :)

Keep up the awesome work! You are going to make my wishlist explode with all the new stuff you are making me add to it! lol

Deleted User likes this.
  42. justtime

justtime

That was my fault due to incorrect blender operations.

hopeful and Deleted User like this.
  43. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah. ok. Glad you got it worked out.

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

M_Shirt 3 High Poly:

ScreenHunter_314 Jul. 03 19.03.png ScreenHunter_319 Jul. 03 19.06.png ScreenHunter_316 Jul. 03 19.05.png

Jaimi, BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.
  45. Deleted User

Deleted User

M_shirt 1 pre-final:

ScreenHunter_339 Jul. 12 17.34.png ScreenHunter_338 Jul. 12 17.33.png ScreenHunter_341 Jul. 12 17.34.png

Also:

-RPG starter has been imported to 5.3. Issues are being checked.
    -Fem cleric will be added to the RPG lite in the next 2 days.

46. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Deleted User likes this.
  47. Deleted User

Deleted User

M_Shirt 2 pre-final :

ScreenHunter_343 Jul. 14 17.58.png ScreenHunter_344 Jul. 14 17.58.png ScreenHunter_345 Jul. 14 17.59.png

48. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

Hi @justb

Just curious - how many models are left to be added in the UMA RPG Starter 2 pack?

From your site it says: "Pack contains 27-29 RPG Medieval Fantasy style Armors and Outfits for Unity Multipurpose Avatar 2 plus UMA weapon pack and other" and currently you write there is 23.

So there is 4-6 models remaining plus the UMA weapon pack? and what is other? ;)

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey @Ramsdal Yep. I think the remaining will be the Mithril and Adamantite. The other was a possible addition of something else. Was going to be a few more faces or hair, but I think it will be the shirt pack.

New faces, hair, and demon can go in RPG 3 :)

Ramsdal and Teila like this.
  50. Deleted User

Deleted User

RPG starter 1 (Lite) update submitted:

Added Fem cleric, 5.3 version
    Modular textures, Slots, and Overlays