Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Male base 1/Fem base 1 RPG starter and UMA Multipurpopse Avatar

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi everyone. I've added a series of models recently to my page:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/publisher/5619

For the next while I will constantly be adding updates for them with new customizations in both the fantasy genre and Sci fi. They can be used as stand alone characters or also for RPG style games. (They include separate parts.)

A few previews:

FB1 High elf Armor

Fem Base 1

MB1 Wolf Armor

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
    Gozdek and tequyla like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey B, your characters look pretty nice, especially your mesh flow and density.

I noticed some of your more recent characters are broken into separate parts. Can I ask why you chose to create these characters in this manner as opposed to combining them into a single mesh?

Based on what I've read in the documentation the optimal process is to combine characters into a single mesh. What type of performance hit does creating characters this way have instead of combining into one complete mesh?
    I would guess based on reviewing the docs each mesh would have an additional draw call unless batched.

If your decision was guided by a specific game feature (different load outs, clothing etc) what optimizations did you take into consideration during character creation (modeling, textures, rigging)?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I have a couple characters in development I'm planning to release on the asset store and it is helpful to learn how others are successfully creating characters. Especially when dealing with performance issues.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey the ANIMATOR2b. I've been working with mmos and RPG style games for a while now. The parts are separate for customization purposes for developers to do with as they like. (All Outfits and parts from the FB1 and MB1 series of models fit together and can be swapped.)

The characters are purposely higher res for new gen graphics and engines. Though the poly count is kept down to a reasonable amount. Most textures are also 2048.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
    JoeStrout likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

New Asset for MB1 uploaded "Bard":

preview5.png

preview4.png

preview7.png

I'm also just finishing up a fair Maiden.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ANIMATOR2b

If your doing single characters, it best to have everything on one full map. Pieces don't necessarily matter that much unless the game is for web players, huge scenes filled with people, or Mobile.

There are also a lot of polygon reduction tools for devs out there to make LODs with such as polycruncher and probably some Unity tools as well.

(I will have to look into that more later. My goal is mainly to create AAA quality models that I think would be cool, or from Devs suggestions)

I've recently submitted something for UMA, but still waiting on acceptance for the asset store team. Will be doing more of that later if the process is ok.)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
    Teila likes this.
  7. l0cke

l0cke

Indeed, proper solution is to have character from separated/interchangable parts, including equipment and if needed, stitch on the fly to one mesh (it is even possible to make texture atlas on the fly). Everything else is amateurism and nonsense.

Btw, perfect work. Equipable RPG medieval male/female character in such quality is exactly what we need. So definittely keep adding armors, clothes, hairs, beards, faces, skin textures...finally something in good quality (both artistic and technic).

Do I undestand well, that all your base models in asset store have interchangable parts (same number of parts) and male/female instance? So I can combine ranger and plate armour, elf amour and ranger trousers like in each RPG?

How does rig look like? Standard 3dsmax biped (this would be awesome)?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes. anything from the Male base 1 (MB1) and Fem base 1 (FB1) have interchangeable parts. You can swap pants, upper body, lower body, gloves, helmets, and so on.

I will be doing a face pack soon.

Rig is not 3Ds Max Biped, but fairly simple bone structure: Head, neck, Foot.L, Foot.R, thigh.L, Thigh.R etc. Nothing too complicated.

Regards

Will

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Mix example:

You'll get some clipping with longer coats and lower armor plates, but most tops are made to fit lower pieces. You'll also have some special outfits that are a whole outfits like MB1 Sci 1 with only gloves and boots that are interchangeable.

MB1 Mix1.png

MB1 Mix1_2.png

If you find any clipping issues with pants or glove etc, let me know, they are generally easy to fix.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
  10. l0cke

l0cke

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the comment l0cke.

Face textures are from photos, (partially), and high resolution models. Re-texturing would have to be a paid custom modification right now, since it would entail re-texturing all of the models for consistency.

It May be something to consider for the future though. Possible add on packs.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
  12. Teila

Teila

Please keep us posted on this! Every week or so I look longingly at your beautiful characters wishing they were UMA so I could use them. That bard is especially beautiful and I cannot wait to see the fair maiden. :)

UMA can be frustrating but I hope it works well for you. I would love to see your stuff available.

Edit: Silly me, I just saw your mage cloak! Amazingly beautiful. Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    hopeful likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Awesome. Thanks Teila.

I'm currently refitting the MB1 Fighter for UMA. You should see more in the coming weeks.

Maiden preview pics.

preview 1.png

preview 2.png

preview 4.png

preview 3.png

Teila likes this.
  14. Teila

Teila

Oh wow, she is gorgeous!

I have a question about your UMA asset. Is the cloak boned or do you use cloth physics? I am in need of long robes and dresses for UMA but curious about how they are done. Since there is no video, I can't really see if the cloak is weighted to the legs or if there are extra bones in the model. I have already resigned myself to the fact that I will have to make my own clothing. :)

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

You mean "dress"? No. It's just rigged to the legs. Physics would have to be on your end for now. I may tweak the skirt to accommodate Shroud a bit more.

Thanks for bringing up the extra bones. Something I may try later.

16. Teila

Teila

No problem, I do not use physics anyway for cloth. It doesn't work and is not optimized enough for my game.

Any chance you could show a video of a UMA character in the cloak? Do the legs go through the cloak when they walk? Sorry about the questions, but the price is very good but still high enough that I don't want to buy something that doesn't work or requires more work on my part. :) It is very beautiful though!

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

18. Teila

Teila

Thanks, Justb, although I meant the UMA clothing, not the Fair Maiden. :) The Maiden looks great, btw.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

lol. Ah. Gotcha.

No video, but here's a quick rig position image.

The lower robe half replaces the legs in UMA.

UMA F_Mage Robe rigging example.png

Teila likes this.
  20. Teila

Teila

Thank you! Looks great. :)

Actually, another question; If the legs are replace, are their gaps between the robe and the front flap or at the bottom of the robe that show no legs?

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nope. There are clothed legs under the robes.

Basically, the "whole" lower body section replaces the legs in UMA. RPG style.

wireframe:

ScreenHunter_82 Oct. 03 17.12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  22. Teila

Teila

Oh, excellent idea!! I am definitely buying this. Thank you. :)

23. l0cke

l0cke

Hmm, but that means, that I cant have custom boots under the robe.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes you can l0cke. The boots go over the pants and are a separate slot.

Guess "whole" should be "skirt and pants" lol. Wording.

Basically, my models are like most RPGs, you have the outfit in sections, helmet, boots, upperbody, lower body, gloves, weapon.

Anything from the MB1 FB1 series is set up to accommodate RPG style games with clothing outfit swapping. Most stuff can be mixed and replaced. Like Oblivion, or other rpgs of that sort.

The only one issue you will have is with long coats and lower plate armor.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just submitted for UMA:

preview 1.png

Teila likes this.
  26. l0cke

l0cke

Perfect. Maybe you should already start thinking about preparing all-in one pack (all male/female models and compatible parts, because once you decide to use it for RPG, you need all anyway). Once this pack is mature enough (I am still missing various eyes, faces, hairs, beards, skins, tattoos + little bit more equipment pieces/clothing styles), it is must buy for me.

Btw, I noticed, that female fighter is missing...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Good catch l0cke. Yes. The FB1 Fighter is wip.

Plenty of more outfits, armors, and customizations to come. Hairs and faces should be one coming soon.

An all in one pack will be a while down the road. Like you said, when it is more finalized.

I'll also be doing more sci fi variations and some modern outfits and customizations.

hopeful likes this.
  28. Teila

Teila

I would love to see chain mail for UMA. :)

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Cool. That is actually one of the next outfits I was planning on doing. Simple chain mail.

Teila likes this.
  30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Leather 1 for UMA submitted:

preview 4.png
    preview 2.png
    preview 4_2.png

The mix image is an example of how the UMA refits can be mixed.

31. Teila

Teila

Wow, this is really good!

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

up and coming:

Currently finishing up a model for MB1, then I'll be refitting the MB1/FB1 stuff for UMA, so you should see more of that coming soon, then on to faces and hair, and an update on some assets including the UMA Mage (Red version and updated overlays), Bard sleeve tweak, and a couple minor issues.

After that, it's on to Demon armor

33. l0cke

l0cke

Did you consider to prepare face with blendshapes (morph targets) for facial customization?

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

No I haven't. I will look into it.

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

MB1 Chainmail 1 submitted:

preview 1.png
    preview 4_1.png
    preview 5.png
    preview 4.png

36. Teila

Teila

Oh, that is perfect!

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

Dark elf armor refit for UMA submitted:

preview 1.png
    preview 2.png
    preview 1_1.png

38. Teila

Teila

Oh, I thought this was UMA armor. Very nice regardless but I hope you will make it UMA.

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep. It should be UMA refitted soon. In the next few weeks. I'm currently refitting all the MB1/FB1 outifts and armors.

Teila likes this.
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Male Cleric submitted for UMA.

preview 2.png

preview 3.png

preview 5.png

cyby89 and Teila like this.
  41. Deleted User

Deleted User

UMA MB1 FB1 Fighter refit submitted:

preview 2_1.png
    preview 2.png
    preview 3_1.png
    preview 8.png

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  42. Deleted User

Deleted User

MB1 High Elf Armor Submitted:

preview1.png
    preview2.png
    preview4.png

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

UMA Chainmail 1 refit submitted:

preview 2.png
    preview 4.png
    preview 7.png

runningbird likes this.
  44. Teila

Teila

Oh boy, oh boy! I was waiting for that one! :)

45. virror

virror

Looks awesome! Keep up the great work, will buy some for sure : )

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Bard and Maiden are complete. Just waiting on the hair issue/transparency to get solved. Should be submitted soon.

Dwarf armor is wip.

Teila likes this.
  47. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Are you going to make any scifi sets?

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep. I currently have FB1, and MB1 Sci fi (if you check my page) that will be refit for UMA soon as well.

I'm also planning on doing some more futuristic commando type stuff a bit later on.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  49. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Oh yes I see. We would like the UMA refits. And more would be nice. There are so few scifi at all let alone UMA ones.

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

UMA FB1 Maiden refit submitted:

preview1.png
    preview2_1.png
    preview4.png