Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Malbers Animals-Creatures

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Malbers, Nov 12, 2016.

1. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi @Malbers do we have an ETA on the tutorials for setting up your own animal model/animations to use the animal controller?

Malbers likes this.
  2. Malbers

Malbers

Actually I'm finishing a final review of all assets with a bunch of bug fixes for the AC to then this next week start with the Tutorial videos using the these dinos:
    upload_2019-11-16_14-29-17.png

3. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

LOL I started at 13 and am only 15 but 10yrs I got a while...

HeyBishop and Malbers like this.
  4. Malbers

Malbers

Animal Controller 4.07b is out ;)
    - Fixed: Annoying bug that jump into the sky when was on a ledge or the ground disappear
    - Added: Enable Disable Sound Event Method
    - Added: Perching Zone (Birds)
    - Added Random Parameter... it was interfering with the Int ID when it was used as a Mode Status
    - Added Speed Lock Change Method so It can be able to lock speed changes .
    - Fixed Bug: when using AIAnimal Control, the Next target on an Action zone is Null, the animal kept trying to enable the Zone
    - Fixed: When Jumping without Forward movement the animal did not can move forward when Air Control was enabled
    - Added: Speed Methods to change Speed via Code
    - Fixed: Fly |Try Exit| Condition (Animal Scale and Land Multiplier were not applied)
    - Fixed: Lomotion |TryActivate| Condition (UPDown Axis was Ignored)
    - Fixed All Animator Exit Conditions on all Assets
    - Added Tool Tips to the States Parameters
    - Fixed Bug (when an animal get stuck on a Falling animation with the colliders and It can land the Gravity Acceleration get reset.
    - Created Basic Jump State
    - Fixed Bug: Glide Only left The Current Speed disabled.
    - Fixed Bug: AI Animal Control was failing when it the agent was out of the NavMesh because the Agent Component was disable. ****
    - Added Gravity Direction to the Free Look Camera
    - Fixed: Rotation on the Free Look Camera is now updated with the Update Type (Fixed or Late Update)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    mandisaw likes this.
  5. Rowlan

Rowlan

6. Cazual

Cazual

Will you do any tutorial on using the AI of the animals with the zones and waypoints?

7. Krytecks

Krytecks

So sad i missed these 70% :(
    But beautiful asset, really nice job !

8. Haapavuo

Haapavuo

Hi! I was waiting until today to make the purchase on your Poly Art Forest Set asset pack but unfortunately the discount has already ended. I thought it was for the whole week... Would it be possible for me to get a discount coupon as a private message or via email? Thank you!

9. Malbers

Malbers

I'm working on new tutorials for the Animal controller this week so stay tuned ;)

:( :(
    it was 24h Deal :(
    Sadly I'm out of vouchers to make deals out the store

AndyNeoman likes this.
  10. Haapavuo

Haapavuo

Too bad. Then I guess I'll wait for a new sale since the animals are not playing a major part in my game... :)

Love your models and animations though!

Malbers likes this.
  11. AhmadMcreator

AhmadMcreator

Hi

Bought the animal pack yesterday and the horse pro one today

I'm having problems with the animals AI and navmesh. is there a tutorial on how to get things working as I'm having trouble understanding the document :(

Edit: well I got the AI to move to one zone but can't get it to change to other zones. I guess I'll have to wait until you fill that part of the document.

Edit: Nevermind i got it working :D

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Malbers likes this.
  12. montyfi

montyfi

Malbers and AhmadMcreator like this.
  13. Malbers

Malbers

Yes! that one is on my list...

I'm Working on the Animal Controller tutorials and documentation first

montyfi likes this.
  14. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Looks like I'm being summoned hehe... took me 50-60hrs to make the last integration.

montyfi and Malbers like this.
  15. Malbers

Malbers

YES YES YESSSSSSS!!! if you can helps us out it will be amazing :)

16. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

I don't really use the animal script in my game anymore though.
    If anyone needs some custom AI for your games let me know, happy to do a bit of consulting work. :D

Malbers likes this.
  17. Shannon847

Shannon847

Hi, bought the forest pack (extremely happy with it and gave it 5 stars) but, I'm having some trouble just trying to work out how to use it. I just can't work out how to setup a animal to do things. I looked at the documentation but couldn't work out how to do it. Could someone help me out and give me a step by step guide on what to do?

Malbers likes this.
  18. mandisaw

mandisaw

I think Malbers is working on the updated tutorials & documentation as we speak. Until that's ready, you could try checking out the demos to find one that works similarly to what you want, and build from that.

Malbers likes this.
  19. Shannon847

Shannon847

Yea. He said they should be out next week.

Malbers likes this.
  20. Malbers

Malbers

Tutorials are coming this Monday... and Tuesday! :)

21. Malbers

Malbers

So YAY the tutorials are ready ;) more coming soon

Make sure to use the latest version of the Animal Controller... since during the tutorial I found some tiny bugs :p

Here they are!

Thanks so much for @dogzerx2 to help me out with the little dinos they are simply awesome!!!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  22. linojon

linojon

I picked up the AC asset last week and played with it all weekend with an existing domestic animal i'm using. Thank you! The new tutorial is very helpful, especially as i'm now familiar with your demo scene and controller. The character has alternative idle poses - Sitting and Lying. I'm planning to use as a 3rd person character so AI and navmesh integration are important. We plan to integrate with Timeline for prescribed sequences. Would love to see a tutorial on these.

Maryclover and Malbers like this.
  23. Malbers

Malbers

More tutorials coming on the way :)

and Time line is one of the next features to work on ;)

Maryclover, ikemen_blueD and mandisaw like this.
  24. Krytecks

Krytecks

-50% is back, awesome

Malbers likes this.
  25. Maryclover

Maryclover

Hi Malbers,
    Your animal forest pack is amazing!
    I tried to make a simple scene by following your documentation and tutorials :)
    I'm new to Unity AI and I was wondering what I'm doing wrong.
    Can you please take a look at this video?

1. How do I make the Bear start from a different position?

2. How do I make the Bear not sink into the steps?

3. How do I make the Bear jump and fall so he isn’t stepping in midair?

4. How do I make the bear climb a higher step?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  26. Malbers

Malbers

Hi there! thanks for buying the Set :)
    So to answer your questions :

How do I make the Bear start from a different position?
    You can simply move the Respawner GameObject to the position you need OR remove entirely the Respawner and the CheckPoints

How do I make the Bear not sink into the steps?
    If you look closer the problem is that the Pivots Hip and Chest are not aligned with the Front and back feet when you are in play mode... This is happening because the animator push the CG bone to 0 on the X and Z axis when the game starts. this can be fixed by changing that CG bone to 0 on the X and Z axis. Once you set the CG bone the correct Position then you need to adjust again the Pivots so they are aligned to the Feet.
    upload_2019-12-13_11-13-4.png

How do I make the Bear jump and fall so he isn’t stepping in midair?
    This is caused also by the Pivots not being aligned to the Front and Back feet. Fixing the last Question it will also solve this one :)

How do I make the bear climb a higher step?
    Same thing :), that problem is caused by the Pivots.
    But if you want the bear to jump you can use a Jump Zone in front of the step.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!

Maryclover likes this.
  27. Maryclover

Maryclover

Thanks so much for your quick response and help!
    After following your fixes, I actually ran into some other problems--can you please explain? :)

1. How do I calculate the best height for the Bear? (low priority)
    2. How can I make the Bear jump forward (towards the cube)?
    3. How can I make the Bear fall into the death zone (because he can't reach the cube)?

(I've also attached a pic of the NavMesh and OffMeshLink Start and End)

Attached Files:

28. Malbers

Malbers

Hi there!!!
    Oh Actually that is a bug then ... thanks for catching that out :)
    The Height should always be in most of the cases the same value as the Y Position for the Hip Pivot .. this one :
    upload_2019-12-16_11-22-28.png

It seems that the Bear is not using the Impulse from the from the locomotion for the Jump.. I mean is jumping Upwards because does not have the Root Animation applied....

For my animals is better to use the Jump instead the Jump Basic...

But in this case , (since I don't have a tutorial yet on how to use the Advanced Jump State),
    you can see what I did with the Wolf Lite Jump Basic on the Package I sent you :).. to Keep the Impulse from the Jump.

You need to create a Jump Start Animation (with the Tag "JumpStart" ) first which keeps the inertia for the Jump.. an then the Jump Clip, something like this:
    upload_2019-12-16_11-40-47.png
    in this case if you take a look to the transitions is the same animation but the first one has Baked the Y Axis into the Clip.. that way the Position of the animal does not goes into the ground..
    upload_2019-12-16_11-42-28.png

Take also a closer look to the Transition Exit Time and Transition offset that have the same Value (that way the animations are perfectly overlapped )

Now on the Jump Basic State:

upload_2019-12-16_11-45-25.png

I've created a new Tag Modifier for the JumpStart.. so when the Animal is on the Jump Start animation clip.. it still have RootMotion, Is Grounded, Gravity is false.. etc..

and when is on the General (Jump Tag), The root motion is disabled, Gravity is on... Grounded is false.. etc..

The Jump State will look for the inertia of the last animation clip before entering the Jump Animation (with the Jump Tag) and use it as the jump forward speed.

I Hope this wasn't too complicated ..

Please take a look to the Animator example for the wolf lite I sent you here on this package :)

Cheers
    Malbers

Attached Files:

Maryclover likes this.
  29. Maryclover

Maryclover

Thanks for your explanation and visual aides :)
    I couldn't view the Wolf package, but I followed your screenshots for the Bear Animal--
    the Bear jump looks much better than before! :D

Do you have any suggestions on how to improve the Bear jump animation (make it smoother)?

I'm looking forward to your advanced jump tutorial!

Malbers likes this.
  30. Cazual

Cazual

Hi, Thanks for a great Asset bundle, I am using your animals in my game, and they work great with the default controller and waypoints etc, however I want to use the fox(or one of the other animals) as an enemy but in my game I use the 3D Game Kit controllers for enemies and my player, under integrations in the documentation I do not see this as one of the options are you or will you be doing this at all, or else could we hire you to do this?

Kind Regards,

Mario

Malbers likes this.
  31. Cazual

Cazual

btw this is the kit from unity https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/tutorials/3d-game-kit-115747

Malbers likes this.
  32. Malbers

Malbers

You need to Have the Animal Controller also in the project :) I forgot to tell you :) is just the Prefab ready with the states set :D

33. Malbers

Malbers

Hi there Thanks so much for your kind words and supporting me,

Sadly there's no Integration yet with that package...

But Right now I'm working on a Brain Feature for the animals , Based on these tutorials :

And I'm also learning from that KIT (the lite version) to see how they do the Enemies Logic... which is pretty awesome

I've plan to finish the Brain Feature before the year ends... so integrating it to this package after that wont be that hard :)

I'll be posting some Updates soon... when I have something stable :)

mandisaw and transat like this.
  34. Cazual

Cazual

Thanks look forward to seeing the brain feature.

35. Malbers

Malbers

I'm actually making huge progress with the Brain AI... and I'm really excited with the results...
    Using the Tanks Plugable AI tutorials is really simple to use and understand, and really easy to make new Tasks/Actions and Decisions.. besides the ones I'm making by default.

I have use it on the little dragons and is looking really great.
    I haven't test them on the Air yet.. but in the ground they are quite trouble when they have a brain :).. Shooting Fireballs everywhere ;)

I'll be making a small video this Sunday to showcase my progress :)

Cazual, transat and mandisaw like this.
  36. Cazual

Cazual

For your info the Brain was based on Richard Fine's brain(near the end of the video) project:

37. Malbers

Malbers

Yes!! and the Follow up Tutorial Tank Plugable AI.
    Those videos are just amazing!!

I'm cleaning up some nasty bugs here and there :) that is why the video is a bit delay... but I'm getting there :D

Cazual likes this.
  38. blacklily8

blacklily8

I'm having a problem animating the Giant Rat from the Heroic Fantasy Creatures pack. The rat doesn't seem to react well to slopes. Either its head gets implanted in the hill as it's climbing up or its feet jut out behind it as if not affected by gravity. I can't figure out how to make him angle so that he looks natural going up and down slopes and inclines.

I followed the YouTube tutorials as exactly as I could but can't solve the problem. I'd like to get on to working on other parts of my game, so I thought I'd post here in hopes someone could at least point me in the right direction for a fix. Thanks!

I've attached a screenshot showing the issue. He remains parallel to the ground despite the obvious incline.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

39. blacklily8

blacklily8

Also, one more question. What's the best way to use the AI script to make an animal stop moving once it gets within the stopping range, but continue to turn to face you if you move within that range? Thanks again.

40. blacklily8

blacklily8

I figured out answers to my own questions.
    1. I moved my Nav Mesh Agent to a child of the parent object; it now bends and rotates correctly.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Malbers likes this.
  41. Malbers

Malbers

Hey Guys as promised here's a sneak preview of the Brain New feature for the animals/Dragons:

mandisaw, cygnusprojects and Cazual like this.
  42. Malbers

Malbers

Hey my friend Apologies for the late reply...

You can always try and increase the multiplier on all the pivots... that helps solve the problem with the Slopes.

Yes :) you can Set the Agent in front of the animal with a child gameObject ;)

43. Cazual

Cazual

Looking really good, nice work, any idea when you will release it?

44. fjames0327

fjames0327

Hello everyone. I'm sorry if this has been covered already, however I've been playing around with the flying mechanics in the animal controller. I added the fly state, animations, and inputs. However, I cannot toggle flying off once it has started and my player just hovers along the ground. Is there an explanation on how to use the fly features?

Muneeb1996 likes this.
  45. Malbers

Malbers

Hi there!

I still need to do the Fly tutorial on the Dinos in which I will explain how to properly do the Fly State....

I think is that your creature needs first a "Take off" animation, which make the animal Jump up to be far from the ground... and then a the Fly Animation... Just take a look to any of the dragons Animator.....
    upload_2019-12-29_23-27-10.png

Also Also the Fly State needs A Rotator GameObject(a new GO between the Root and the CG bone... which is the ones that rotates the animal up and down while flying:
    upload_2019-12-29_23-26-7.png

46. fjames0327

fjames0327

Thank you so much, it worked! I can't believe I overlooked that.

47. mandisaw

mandisaw

Just popped in to say I've been running updates and finally got a chance to watch the new tutorial videos. Great work, they really make everything clear! I was always kind of confused on how to use modes & actions, and now I *think* I have the right idea. :)

Two quick points though:
    - When you're explaining Modes, it took me a couple of rewinds to realize that the Anim Controller sub-state (Mode) is called "Attack1" AND the individual nodes are also Attacks 1-3. Maybe pop-up a note on the screen, or whenever you next update the recording, call the Mode like Regular & Special Attack, with Bite, Horn, Tail as variants of "Regular Attack".

- I notice that your voice-over is always at a really low-volume, maybe you can sit closer to the microphone, or turn up the gain when you record? I like to watch Unity tutorials on my TV (bigger screen ;) but for your vids I have to really crank up the volume.

48. Cazual

Cazual

Got a question for you, how to use the Animal controller when you animal walk on 2 legs only and not on all four?

49. Malbers

Malbers

Just remove the Chest Pivot :) take a look at the Empty Controller on the Animal Controller Sample scenes ;)
    yeah ... I wanted to have Mode Attack1 as Main Attacks and Mode Attack2 as Secondary Attacks :D

Thanks for the tip! I''' definetely crank the volume Up on the next tutorials

mandisaw and Cazual like this.
  50. Cazual

Cazual

thanks for that answer, one more is when following the tutorial for the AC I get to the second video and you add the input malbers script and for you the animal walks, for me it animate the walk but does not move from its spot, any ideas? Or did I do something stupid

here the settings on the character
    Settings1.png Settings2.png

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020