Search Unity

Malbers Animals-Creatures

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Malbers, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Malbers

Malbers

Hey there! thanks your support!
    Try this video:
    https://malbersanimations.gitbook.i...art/guide-to-use-malbers-unity-assets-with-ac
    Try it on an empty project.

2. Malbers

Malbers

Maybe this video can help you:

(You just need to add Rotation value to the Speeds)

3. Malbers

Malbers

You need to connect manually the Sprint Input to the Animal Sprint:
    upload_2020-10-24_11-19-9.png
    upload_2020-10-24_11-19-23.png

RemusRain likes this.
  4. tahir_ali

tahir_ali

It will be great if you add water physics (Buoyancy). Here is link you want some help although you are great developer.

Malbers likes this.
  5. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just a few more outside shots before I try the Dungeons :D

lf8.jpg
    lf5.jpg
    lf6.jpg
    lf7.jpg

6. Malbers

Malbers

Rowlan likes this.
  7. Rowlan

Rowlan

Someone imprisoned the Little Dragon :(

ld 1.jpg
    ld 2.jpg
    ld 8.jpg

8. mandisaw

mandisaw

@Malbers Just a quick addition to the v1.2 upgrade documentation. I saw the note to add the StateFloat AnimatorController parameter, but I had to dig back into the code/source control to find that IDInt became ModeStatus, and IDFloat became ModePower. Not sure if that was noted someplace previously.

Malbers likes this.
  9. Harald_Heide

Harald_Heide

Really likes your approach towards making a total autonomous animal forest environment. Would love to see even more examples on this. With automatic behaviours like sleep, eat drink flee attack, etz... Best animal simulator I've seen
    and easier to grasp than Opsive Behaviour trees me thinks

ProceduralCatMaker and Malbers like this.
  10. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

I've been away for a year or so and diving back in to dev. Any upcoming animal packages you're willing to share? Are you taking suggestions? (hint: buffalos/cows/yaks/wildebeests).

Malbers likes this.
  11. Malbers

Malbers

Hey there!
    Yes! I changed the name convention of those Animator Parameters to have them more close to what they actually do
    FloatID is now StateFloat (Which is only used for the States)
    IntID is now ModeStatus (Which is only used for the Modes)
    Height is now ModePower (Which is only used for the Modes, is the Equivalent of StateFloat but for the modes)

I have added to the Update Part of the Documentation :)
    https://malbersanimations.gitbook.io/animal-controller/quickstart/upgrading-to-ac-1.2-hap-4.2

These parameters can have any name you want on the Animator Parameters: On the Advanced Tab

upload_2020-10-27_15-18-46.png

mandisaw likes this.
  12. Malbers

Malbers

Yes making Behaviour Tree work with the Animals would be amazing.. and is on my to do list but for now I'm focusing finish the remaining Integrations I have pending so I can start working on new Asset again :) since I have only released 3 new ones this year.

The wildebeest is on on my todo list for the Savannah pack ;)

But for now this ones are the ones that are next on the list:
    https://malbersanimations.gitbook.io/animal-controller/asset-in-production

JohnnyFactor likes this.
  13. mandisaw

mandisaw

@Malbers I've got a little doggy that follows my Player using a combo of Patrol & Stand AI behaviors (depending on if the Player is within range). It's working perfectly while I'm grounded/on the NavMesh, but once they're in the Swim state (off NavMesh), the AI can't navigate.

Any advice for extending the AI Brain to work off-NavMesh? The targeting and decision-making seems to still work (correct Target set, knows when the Player is in & out of range), but what part handles the navigation/pathfinding?

14. castana1962

castana1962

hi @Malbers . I am interested in buying your Elemental Dragon package for Unity. Since I am going to use it for a VR project, I would like to ask you, if this one is VR and URP Ready? Thanks for your time

15. Malbers

Malbers

16. Malbers

Malbers

Yes, one of the next things I'm working on is to make the Brain work with Air and Water waypoints which are independent of the Nav mesh..

One Trick I found to make the animals to work in the water is to bake the Navmesh also in the water... just like they are "Ground"

mandisaw likes this.
  17. Malbers

Malbers

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Next HAP and Animal Controller Update will be use Unity 2019.4 LTS

This is required to make Cinemachine the Default Camera System.
    Adding again Cloth to the Horse Mane and Tail

Removing old bugs from Upgrading from older version of Unity.
    And many needed features that comes with the latest Unity LTS version.

mandisaw, tahir_ali and Rowlan like this.
  18. tahir_ali

tahir_ali

Already using Cinemahine camera in my game with your controller. Best Camera controller I ever used.

19. mattxreality

mattxreality

I am studying the Animal Controller AI section, but most of the content is empty. Is there another location where I can learn how to use the AI features? upload_2020-11-7_13-1-3.png

20. Malbers

Malbers

hey there yes apologies for that I'm still working on the documentation each day,
    I have updated the AI target section...

21. mattxreality

mattxreality

Thank you Malbers. I will continue to read the documentation as it becomes available.

I did have another question for you. I am working on an interactive VR adventure and plan to use the Animal Control, HAP, and Unka extensively. I would like to use the AI system to move animal characters to specific locations, then have their next location triggered by player action. I don't quite know how to do this. I see the MWayPoint script allows pauses at a waypoint, but doesn't stop the animal at the location and wait for player interaction.

Do you have a recommendation on which AC features I should use to accomplish this? I am trying to:
    1. Use the AC AI system for animal locomotion.
    2. Use waypoints to identify where the animal should go.
    3. Allow player interaction to trigger the animal to perform an action or locomotion (examples: "player tells animal to get off the bed, player moves to a specific location which causes the animal to move to the next waypoint...")

Thank you for your advice.

22. danteswap

danteswap

Hi there i need some help Not much , I want my animal to attack other animals automatically i mean player will press attack button just 1 time and animal will attack other animal over and over till that animal dies , i have other ways to implement it but it would be nice if you can suggest a simpler way.

23. mandisaw

mandisaw

Ah, that's a good idea! Yeah, I have a separate NavMesh for the Animal & Human characters, so I should be able to add the Water layer to the Animal one. Looking forward to the Air/Water waypoints as well :)

24. mattxreality

mattxreality

@Malbers I don't know if you take requests for new assets, but it would be great to have a collection of various dogs as one of your animal assets. I plan to get the fox assets for now, but would love a variety of domesticated dogs (it looks like there are few options on Unity Asset Store, TurboSquid, SketchFab, and I would trust your assets to work best with AC over trying to match other asset rigs). Thanks for considering my request!

25. mattxreality

mattxreality

@Malbers I have another question. I would like the animal to face the player when the are near the player. How would you recommend I do that? Is there a way to control that with the AI components?

26. Kojote

Kojote

After the update I get the following error message when I try to add an item.

AmbiguousMatchException: Ambiguous match found.
    System.RuntimeType.GetMethodImpl (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Reflection.CallingConventions callConv, System.Type[] types, System.Reflection.ParameterModifier[] modifiers) (at <e1319b7195c343e79b385cd3aa43f5dc>:0)
    System.Type.GetMethod (System.String name) (at <e1319b7195c343e79b385cd3aa43f5dc>:0)
    MalbersAnimationsExtensions.InvokeWithParams (UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour sender, System.String method, System.Object args) (at Assets/Malbers Animations/Common/Scripts/Utilities/MalbersAnimationExtensions.cs:147)
    MalbersAnimations.Controller.MPickUp.OnAnimatorBehaviourMessage (System.String message, System.Object value) (at Assets/Malbers Animations/Common/Scripts/Animal Controller/MPickUp.cs:275)
    MalbersAnimations.MessagesBehavior.DeliverListener (MalbersAnimations.MesssageItem m, MalbersAnimations.IAnimatorListener listener) (at Assets/Malbers Animations/Common/Scripts/Behaviors/MessagesBehavior.cs:145)
    MalbersAnimations.MessagesBehavior.OnStateUpdate (UnityEngine.Animator animator, UnityEngine.AnimatorStateInfo stateInfo, System.Int32 layerIndex) (at Assets/Malbers Animations/Common/Scripts/Behaviors/MessagesBehavior.cs:80)

EDIT:

Another problem, apparently I have solved the problem. But the item is simply teleported into the mouth. An animation like the wolf is not triggered. Is the animation not there yet or do I have a small error?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  27. Malbers

Malbers

Hey Matt
    Thanks for the suggestion.. At the moment the settings where a simple AI Brain when the animal does a secuencial set of tasks guided by the decisions.

I'm adding some new methods so the Brain can change AI States when the Player gives him orders.

I'll prepare tomorrow a quick tutorial on how to achieve what you need

Oh yeah!
    Dogs and Cats are definitely on my list!
    There's a Task.. the MoveStopTask where you can have the option to rotate in place, when you have a target it will look at it.

mattxreality likes this.
  28. mattxreality

mattxreality

Thank you @Malbers ! I'll look into MoveStopTask and await the new tutorial!

29. mandisaw

mandisaw

Just an FYI, but part of Malbers' awesomeness is that the Controller works with basically any model+animations. One of my current projects uses AC for humanoids (two different artists/sources, one for Players & one for NPCs) and animals (2-3 different artists/sources, one for a Pet, and one each for simpler land & aquatic animals).

Besides the print tutorial, the YouTube videos on getting up and running with the new AC includes a walkthrough using a non-Malbers animal (baby dinosaur). Here's the playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh3LIrWD73cxXUqAOUoykYGDSl_CVk1QE

mattxreality likes this.
  30. Kojote

Kojote

One more question.

When the animal has picked something up, I try to bury this item.

The only thing I do so far is call this method when he has something in his mouth:

MAnimal.MainAnimal.Mode_Activate(4, 10);

If I use the method, if he has nothing in his mouth, it works. But if he has something in his mouth in Item, the method does not work.

I have been searching for quite a while now and only found out that it has something to do with MPickUp. But I don't know where the error is.

Can you help me further?

31. danteswap

danteswap

@Malbers Hi there i need some help Not much , I want my animal to attack other animals automatically i mean player will press attack button just 1 time and animal will attack other animal over and over till that animal dies , i have other ways to implement it but it would be nice if you can suggest a simpler way.

32. Malbers

Malbers

Here's a quick tutorial that may help you understand better how to do it:

33. Malbers

Malbers

In case of the Pick up what I do is to disable completely the Inputs for the Actions: here (Wolf Lite)
    upload_2020-11-10_10-27-5.png
    So the animal cannot attack or making an action while it has an item on the mouth. (You can remove that) and instead of disabling the Inputs for the Modes you can disable some of the Modes Abilities instead:
    upload_2020-11-10_10-49-34.png

You can do this in an easy way by giving those Abilities a Bool Scriptable var on the Active Value:
    upload_2020-11-10_10-51-28.png

And then use that value on the Pick Up Events. and Set it to true or false when the animal has picked or droped an item.
    (You can use the same bool variable in several Abilities)

Hope this helps

mandisaw likes this.
  34. Malbers

Malbers

Check that you have on your items the Pick up Reactions :
    upload_2020-11-10_11-24-0.png

mandisaw likes this.
  35. Malbers

Malbers

Here is a new Inspector for the Brain Feature... specifically for the AI States. so it can be easier to navigate. You can now change the Tasks and Decisions Inside the AI State without having to leave the Inspector ^^

Ready by the end of the month

@mattxreality I'm Still preparing the tuto (Finding the best way to make it easier ^^ )

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    mandisaw and mattxreality like this.
  36. mattxreality

mattxreality

Thank you @mandisaw I did watch the video and gave a first-pass attempt at making a dog model I had conform to AC, but I had some unexpected results. I'll give it another try though. You're right, AC is awesome, and a lot to take in/learn. I currently have a good AI pet in my adventure scene thanks to Malbers' work. I'll continue learning more.

mandisaw likes this.
  37. Malbers

Malbers

Here's what I have so far :)
    Pressing Key 1: the Wolf follows the Player
    Pressing Key 2: the Wolf goes to Patrol
    Pressing Key 3: the Wolf goes to the nearest Seat Zone

I'll be finishing the tutorial tomorrow ;)

(I have made some tiny Fixes to the Brain Logic)

38. Cabamacadaf

Cabamacadaf

Hi! I'm using your Animal Controller, and trying to use Unity's new Input System. I'm having some trouble converting the jump, sprint and action to the new system. Is there any easy way to convert the Animal Controller to use the new Input System?

I also had some issues with the Simple Jump state, where the animator gets stuck in the jump animation/state in certain situations, usually when you hit the ground too fast. Do you have any tips on how to solve this?

39. Malbers

Malbers

@mattxreality
    Here's the Update for the Brain logic... so you don't have to wait until the next update:

Attached Files:

40. Malbers

Malbers

That's my next goal... I'm working this week too on the new Input system integration...I'll let you know when it's ready

Cabamacadaf likes this.
  41. mandisaw

mandisaw

The new update (1.2.2?) will be 2019.4/2020.1+, right? Or is that the next major update (1.3)? Just planning if I'll need to fast-forward plans to update my projects to 2020.1.

42. Malbers

Malbers

Yes the next update by the end of this month ;) Unity 2019.4 and Up

mandisaw likes this.
  43. Kojote

Kojote

Many thanks for the reply.

I took some pictures to find the mistake. As an animal I use the Cougar. Not sure if I missed it, but it seems to have no animation for the pickup.

Attached Files:

44. Kojote

Kojote

Furthermore:

I have now equipped the MPickUp with AbilityActivate, as they explained. The deactivation and activation works well, as you can see on the picture. But animation is still not played.

By the way, digging out does not work either. He has nothing in his mouth and is also nothing deactivated

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  45. Malbers

Malbers

Yes, the cougar does not have animations yet for picking and dropping items yet... just the wolf,
    I have that on my to do list (to add to all the remaining animals)

46. mikhail_suvorov

mikhail_suvorov

Hi @Malbers, I found a BUG in the MPickUp.cs script, or more precisely, this is not a bug, but a flaw, in the MPickUpEditor class, for extending the Inspector for MPickUp, you forgot to define the OnFocusedItem event.
    This event is used in the _OnTriggerEnter method, but there is no way to subscribe to it in the Inspector.

I also noticed that you specified a different name for the OnItem event in the script extension.

Malbers likes this.
  47. Malbers

Malbers

Awesome Catch!!!
    I have fixed it!! (It will be ready for the next update which its almost ready!!)

48. Malbers

Malbers

Here another quick Feature for the new update:

You can use Runtime GameObject Set for about anything, to store how many Animal you have on a scene, how many zones, how many enemies.. etc and access them without having Singletons or script dependencies

mikhail_suvorov likes this.
  49. mikhail_suvorov

mikhail_suvorov

I know about this cool feature, this is part of Ryan Hipple's "Game Architecture with Scriptable Objects" talk at Unite Austin 2017 - Game Architecture with Scriptable Objects

When I saw this conversation, I immediately started using his code in 2017. Also, on the basis of this, a lot of my ideas were born.

So I made a simple script generator to create my own variables (ScriptableVariable) and events (GameEvent).

- Scripts:
    ScriptGenerationWizard - https://pastebin.com/6kY33p0A
    ScriptGenerator - https://pastebin.com/ipLvKKGM

- Templates:
    GameEventTemplate - https://pastebin.com/pGFfXPLs
    UnityEvent - https://pastebin.com/F7dAcAjA
    GameEventListenerTemplate - https://pastebin.com/bEwzvEgW

This is how I came up with a ConditionComponent that works with an abstract ScriptableObjcet

- Base Sripts:
    ConditionComponent - https://pastebin.com/KM7b6p1e
    ACondition - https://pastebin.com/F6WvNLfw

- Examples Implementation
    BoolVariableCondition - https://pastebin.com/vDwFKDMp
    IntLessCondition - https://pastebin.com/aSQWPyx8

At first it was good news for me that you added these approaches to your Animal Controller.
    But now I can't choose whose code to use, yours or mine?
    For example, what is better to choose
    1) My BoolVariable
    or
    2) Your BoolVar

If part of my work will be in your AnimalController, then I will be happy to completely switch to using the Animal Controller Features.

Kojote likes this.
  50. manurocker95

manurocker95

I just purchased Irval and when testing with latest Animal controller, I'm getting:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    MalbersAnimations.Utilities.BlendShape._PinnedShapeSetValue (System.Single value) (at Assets/Malbers Animations/Common/Scripts/Utilities/BlendShape.cs:168)

Malbers likes this.