Search Unity

Makinom: Game Toolkit - now available for FREE!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jun 11, 2015.

1. gamingislove

gamingislove

Support | Makinom Free | Buy Makinom Pro | Tutorials | Showcase | Twitter | Facebook

The Game Machine for Unity
    Makinom is a powerful game development toolkit for Unity. You can create all kinds of 2D and 3D game genres using Makinom, like first person shooters (FPS), adventures, jump'n'runs, beat'em'ups, arcade shooters and more!
    See the demo projects for game examples.

You can use Makinom for:
    • Controls
    • Cut-Scenes
    • Game Mechanics/Logic
    • HUDs, Menus, Dialogues, ...
    • AI and Behaviours
    • Paths and Waypoints
    • etc.
    Other features:
    • Extensive editor with in-editor help for every single setting
    • Save Games and custom save data support
    • Pooling
    • Supports multiple languages
    • Variables with different scopes (local, global and object)
    • Formulas
    • Game States
    • Extend Makinom with custom Nodes and Plugins
    • Supports UNET
    • Supports the new UI and legacy GUI system
    • Supports Mecanim, legacy animation and custom animation systems
    • And more ...
    No Scripting
    You wont have to touch a single line of code to create your game - but you can, if you want.
    Create your game mechanics with Schematics - a node-based, flow chart like blueprint of what you want to do. Bring your game to life with Machines - they play schematics and put them into action.

Fast Prototyping
    Got a game idea stuck in your head? Quickly create a prototype using the huge amount of ready to use schematic nodes for all kinds of tasks.

Ease Game Development
    Build upon your prototype and fine-tune your gameplay. The reusable schematics and machines for all purposes will save you time and effort and cut your development time.

Tutorials
    There's a wide range of tutorials available.
    The how-tos cover basic topics and ways of doing things, while the game tutorial series cover creating whole games using Makinom. I'd recommend starting e.g. with the Space Shooter game tutorial series to learn using Makinom.

Get Makinom
    Makinom Free is the free, unlimited version of Makinom - available for everyone, no watermark, no limits, commercial use allowed!
    Makinom Pro is available in the Unity Asset Store for $35 and contains the gameplay source code.
    Check out the version comparison for details.

If you're enjoying Makinom, the free updates and support I'm providing, please consider supporting my work on patreon.com!

Supported Platforms
    Makinom officially supports publishing to Windows, Mac OSX, iOS, and Android.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. gamingislove

gamingislove

3. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can you please say a little bit about connectivity to other assets from the store?
    There are some that i want to use with makinom.
    So what i mean is, can i use for example the third person controller, behavior designer, inventory pro, aventure creator, ufps, and others with your great tool?
    Are there any ways how to connect this kit with others?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  4. gamingislove

gamingislove

You can use the Function nodes (e.g. Call Function, Change Fields, etc.) to call any kind of 3rd party functionality, as long as there is either a static function/field/property or a component available - and the parameters (or field/property type) aren't any special classes. Currently supported are string, bool, int, float, Vector2/3, Quaternion, Color, LayerMask, GameObject (also prefabs), Audio Clip, Audio Mixer, Audio Mixer Group, Sprite, Texture2D, Material, PhysicMaterial and PhysicsMaterial2D.

For everything else, you can create custom nodes or use the plugin system. The first plugin to connect Makinom and ORK Framework will be out next week :)

Connecting other things to Makinom pretty much depends on them - Makinom's functionality is accessible from everywhere, see this how-to on scripting basics with Makinom.

5. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.0.2 released

This update brings new schematic nodes, multi-node selection in the node editor, animation machines supporting animation events and other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the release notes for details.

6. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK-Makinom Connection Plugin released

You're using ORK Framework or Makinom? Why not both!

Connect Makinom and ORK with this free plugin - allows cross saving, forwarding control blocks and adds new Makinom schematic nodes and ORK event steps (e.g. for variable transfers or starting Makinom machines in ORK).

You can find more information and infos on the setup (and functionalities) here.

7. nukeD

nukeD

Long time Playmaker user here, not an expert but as a non programmer (ex-flash animator) PM is vital for me. How would you compare (i'm asking, because i'm interested in getting Makinom for real) , learning curve, complexity, usability for different game genres (imagine sega's arcade catalog from the 90s: racers, shooters, etc)? Pros and cons?

Thanks a lot

8. gamingislove

gamingislove

I haven't really used Playmaker myself, so my knowledge of it is only based on glancing through the documentation and watching some tutorials :)

Makinom and Playmaker are tools for the same tasks - the difference is in the workflow and how results are achieved. Playmaker is a finite state machine, while Makinom works like a flowchart. I've made Makinom as easy as possible without sacrificing possibilities, and focused on reusability.

In Makinom, you'll create Schematics - node-based flowcharts/blueprints of what you want to do, e.g. player controls, an NPC dialogue or enemy AI. In schematics, each node performs a task - to make things easier, there are a lot of ready to use nodes doing complex tasks, e.g. you can move a gameobject to a position over time in a single node and either wait for that or continue with the schematic, or send a raycast into the scene and store a filtered list of hit objects for later use (and additionally store hit points, etc).
    The schematics are played by Machines - components that put your schematics into action. There are a lot of different machines for different purposes available, e.g. tick machines for stuff that's regularly updated (like controls), or trigger machines for starting something when an object enters a trigger.

I'd say the learning curve is moderate - you don't need any programming knowledge, but you still need to know your way around Unity and have a general understanding for game development (e.g. moving stuff, inputs, etc.). There are several game tutorial series available to get you started from scratch.

Makinom is intended to be usable for all kinds of game genres - it might not yet be there, but if something is missing, I'll add it in future udpates. I'll regularly add new game tutorial series for different genres and see what's missing :)

It's probably best to grab the free test version of Makinom, read the basics on schematics and machines and start with a game tutorial series (e.g. the space shooter).

9. Regularry

Regularry

I've only experimented with the test version a bit so far but Makinom looks like a really nice system. I actually like it better than Playmaker in some ways. I hope it gets more attention as it is developed further.

10. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks a lot for the reply, i'll check out the free version today.

EDIT: i didnt notice its for Unity5. I'm still using 4.5 Pro. Any plans to support older unities?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is it possible to combine ORK, Makinom and a custom AI system ?

Is it possible to extend or create a new AI system and use it as one of the nodes for example ?

The goal would be to keep ORK structures, action triggers and battle calcs, but control the AI with a full sustom system when the creature is about to move.

I guess the same question applied to other things, like moving a fireball, is it possible to create a custom code node to handle it, than the ones provided by ORK for example, through Makinom ?

About the pooling, is it possible to be used for ORK items, like the defined prefabs for a spell etc ?

Thanks

12. gamingislove

gamingislove

@nukeD
    The lowest I could support with a special version is Unity 4.6 (due to the new UI being tightly integrated).

@nasos_333
    That should be possible - ORK and Makinom can be connected using the connection plugin. Connecting to 3rd party products can be done using the function nodes in Makinom and ORK.

I'd need more infos on that question - generally, yes, you can create AI systems in Makinom, using the connection plugin you can also use it to do stuff in ORK (the just released ORK 2.5.1 allows firing battle actions in game events).

Yes, that's possible. You don't need custom nodes for that - all that's needed is already available (but you can write your own nodes if you'd like). With the connection plugin, you can start a Makinom machine/schematic in ORK do handle that.

Currently not, unless you're doing the prefab spawning in Makinom and use pooling there. Pooling for ORK is on my todo list :)

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, thanks. I guess the 'you can write your own nodes' was the main thing i was looking for, as the AI will be handled by my code.

Bought the asset and will test it soon :)

14. Licarell

Licarell

Bought your system, how would one integrate Love/Hate?

15. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.0.3 will be out soon

Bringing new UI components and schematic nodes - more details here.

@nasos_333

@Licarell
    Thanks - to integrate Love/Hate you'll either need to write custom nodes, or use function nodes (e.g. the Call Function node) if calling it's functionality doesn't require special classes.
    Makinom nodes work similar to ORK Framework's event steps, which are already supported by Love/Hate. Using them as a sample for new nodes will probably make it easier.

16. Licarell

Licarell

Or I could just wait and let Tony integrate it....:p

17. gamingislove

gamingislove

New tutorials available

Learn creating a mouse orbit camera (with zoom) in this schematic tutorial.
    In case you want to write your own custom nodes, check out this scripting tutorial.

@Licarell
    Probably the better choice - I'll contact him about that :)

18. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.0.3 released

This update brings new terrain schematic nodes (e.g. allowing changing the terrain in-game), new UI components, automatically stop machines and other new features, changes and fixes.

See all details in the release notes.
    Makinom 1.0.3 is already available in the Unity Asset Store (requires Unity 5.1).

19. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

(e.g. allowing changing the terrain in-game)
    Do you have an example of this or a video so we know better what it is meaning?

20. gamingislove

gamingislove

Meaning you can change the height and textures of a terrain while playing the game. E.g. leaving a crater after an explosion.
    Also, you can do stuff like checking which main texture is used by the terrain at a position, e.g. to play different footstep sounds based on that.

21. freega

freega

I'm using ORK Framework. Next,interested in Makinom.
    I don't know what the difference is between Makinom and ORK Framework(event system).
    For example, I want MovieTexture controller(on off switch) or light parameters setting tool(color,intensity,).If I use Makinom. Is that possible?

22. gamingislove

gamingislove

@freega
    Makinom's system allows doing much more stuff that ORK's event system isn't able to do. You can create whole games with Makinom - controls, logic, etc.
    You can already do many things with Makinom, if there aren't extra nodes for it, you'll be able to do a lot of things using the function nodes.
    The upcoming update Makinom 1.0.4 will bring support for advanced texture assets like movie textures and render textures (including new nodes for movie texture controls).

freega likes this.
  23. freega

freega

Thanks so much. I decided to buy makinom.
    ORK Framework is really great system. but I glad there will be more new nodes.
    I hope makinom will succeed.

24. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Could Makinom be used to make an Isometric or top-down RTS, or a turn-based strategy game?

25. gamingislove

gamingislove

@freega

@TokyoDan
    Yes, both should be possible to make with Makinom. If there's something missing to achieve that, I'll add it in future updates :)

26. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.0.4 released
    This update brings new support for all texture asset types (e.g. render texture, movie texture), store terrain changes in save games, new schematic nodes for movie texture control and other new features and fixes.

Please note that this time there's also a special version for Unity 4.6 available in the Unity Asset Store. This version naturally misses some functionality that's only availabe in Unity 5+. Future updates will require Unity 5.1+, there will be no further updates for the Unity 4.6 version of Makinom.

Save Game Compression Plugin
    Your save games are getting big, e.g. by storing terrain change data in them? Use this free plugin and compress your save game data!
    See the plugin page for details.

27. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.1.0 will be out next week
    This first big update will bring basic support for UNET, Unity's new networking functionality!
    See details here.

28. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.1.0 is here!
    This update brings UNET support, lots of new schematic nodes and other new features, changes and fixes.
    See details in the release notes.

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

And here's a first how-to on the new UNET multiplayer functionality in Makinom 1.1.0.

30. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.1.1 is here
    This update brings additional support for UNET multiplayer/networking, e.g. starting tagged machines on the server.
    See details in the release notes.

31. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Licarell - Done! :)

Love/Hate 1.5 is now live on the Asset Store with Makinom support!

32. wiseman_2

wiseman_2

I haven't used UNET, but I currently use Photon.... is there or will there be support for that?

33. gamingislove

gamingislove

@TonyLi
    Thanks for supporting Makinom :)

@wiseman_2
    No, there is no support for Photon and there is no plan to add it.
    However, you can do that yourself by adding custom schematic nodes for it or even write a plugin.

34. gameboy

gameboy

Does Makinom support "drill down" functionality where a whole group or network of nodes can be boxed or grouped into a single node which can then be reused elsewhere, or do all the nodes have to be laid out in a "flat" 2D schematic (and thereby becoming a big ball of spaghetti over time)? iCanScript, for example has this sort of functionality.

35. gamingislove

gamingislove

@gameboy
    Something similar to that, yes.
    In Makinom, you'd just make a schematic out of that part and use that schematic wherever needed, e.g. using a Start Machine node or using them in a Tagged Machine on game objects and starting them using a Start Tagged Machin node.
    Using tagged machines also allows overriding resoruces like prefabs, textures and audio clips to do different things depending on which object they're started at or which tag is used.

Also, to keep things organized, you can use multiple node layers in schematics to separate functionality in larger schematics. E.g. the 2D Platformer game tutorial series shows using this mechanics.

36. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

i think nobody asked something like that before but...i am not e big fan of the editor ui. the tool looks interesting and easy but man, sorry to say but the editor looks like from the 90s and as a visual person who is looking at the editor all day this is a huge criteria for me. and the grid and bright colors are making me crazy i love the look of flowcanvas by the way.

what i want to ask is, are the editor ui graphics open or hidden behind a dll?

37. gamingislove

gamingislove

The graphics themselfs (i.e. the form of the box) is in the DLL, the colors can be changed (and completely disabled) in Editor > Editor Settings in the Makinom editor.

38. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

cool, thanks, can you show me a screenshot of the settings an the result?
    how a changed editor looks like for example

//ok, i downloaded the free version - but when i change the editor settings, they dont apply. for example the grid stuff
    anyway, i found how to disable the grid, that annoyed me the most

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  39. gamingislove

gamingislove

Changing the colors only take effect after restarting the Makinom editor, forgot to mention that, sorry :)

Der_Kevin likes this.
  40. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.2.0 is here!
    This update introduces Machine Stacks, brings lots of new schematic nodes and other new features, changes and fixes.

The update will soon be available in the Asset Store.

41. gamingislove

gamingislove

Breakout!
    There's a new game tutorial series available, teaching some basics in this classic game.

Also, there's a new how-to available on Makinom's sound type feature. Learn more about sound types, sound templates and sound assignments - and how you can use them to make your life easier.

42. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.2.1 is here!
    This update brings support for different control styles and local multiplayer games through the new Input IDs without having to change your schematics, new editor highlighting for advanced value fields, a lot of new schematic nodes and other new features, changes and fixes.

Please note that the Movie Texture nodes have been moved to a separate Movie Texture Plugin. If you're using movie texture nodes in your schematics, just import the new plugin into your Unity project after importing the new Makinom version - no further actions needed.

The update will be available in the Untiy Asset Store shortly.

43. Duffer123

Duffer123

@gamingislove ,

Here's a crazy question - could you build a decent traditional 3d rpg with Makinom without OrK? Would you want to? (perhaps more open and customisable)? If just using Makinom, where would you stand with both global and local variables, lists, inventories?

44. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sure you could, it just involves a lot of work to create the whole status system, battle system, etc. - stuff that's ready to use (and still customisable) when using ORK Framework.
    The stats of your individual combatants would be handled through object variables. Things like inventory could become a bit tricky with using variables, but it'd still be doable.

45. Duffer123

Duffer123

Yeah - that's what I thought, will stick with ORK! But still finding ways to use Makinom too.

46. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity 1.5.6.1 finally has built-in support for Makinom. (Sorry for taking so long on this, @gamingislove!) I also updated the ORK integration package with new steps to correspond to the new schematic nodes added to Makinom, so if you're using the ORK integration package you'll want to import the updated package to get all the latest steps.

47. gamingislove

gamingislove

@TonyLi
    Thanks for the support :)

48. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.3.0 is here!
    This update brings a new grid feature, music channels, a lot of new schematic nodes and other new features, changes and fixes.
    See all details in the release notes. If you want to see the new grid feature in action, check out the new Match 3 game tutorial series.

The update should be available in the Asset Store shortly.

49. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.4.0 is here!
    Big performance boost, new schematic nodes and other new features, changes and fixes.

The update is already available in the Unity Asset Store.

50. gamingislove

gamingislove

Makinom 1.4.1 is here!
    This update brings the new Move to Interaction feature, new Tooltip HUDs, new features for scene objects, new schematic nodes and other new features, changes and fixes.

If you're using Makinom plugins, you'll need to update them.

New Plugins
    There are 2 new plugins available:
    These plugins will add new schematic nodes in Add > Game > Unity Ads and Add > Game > Unity Analytics. You don't need to add the plugins in the Makinom editor, just importing them into your project will add the new nodes automatically.