Search Unity

making textureless 3d work, a how-to/making off guide. Shaders included in the post.

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by TomasSala-Falconeer, Feb 6, 2014.

1. TomasSala-Falconeer

TomasSala-Falconeer

$banner.jpg
    Hi i've had a lot of requests on reddit about sharing some of my shaders. The ones I made for Oberon's Court.
    I've decided to share them freely, and I've made a in-depth guide into the entire process of making textureless 3d assets and shading them.

Here's the link to the guide/how-to. hope it's usefull to you. There's also a link to an archive with most of the shaders I created , free to use if you wish.

http://blog.littlechicken.nl/creating-a-textureless-pure3d-look-as-seen-in-oberons-court/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

This is really nice. Thanks very much for taking the time to share your approach in such detail!

3. jRocket

jRocket

Very informative. Thank you for sharing.

4. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

One thing I'm curious about is smoothing groups. Whenever I see that mentioned, it's in the context of 3ds max. Is there a Blender equivalent?

Is that similar to the crease features in Blender when using the subsurf modifier?

5. TomasSala-Falconeer

TomasSala-Falconeer

hmm, I don't think its the crease function.smoothing groups are very universal feature, I'd look for smooth or something similar.

6. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

There's something called Edge Split in Blender, but that's just a brute force "split polygons" feature that gives polys their own vertices. It's a way to get super-sharp edges (like for the edges on a perfect CG-looking cube), but that's it.

I guess I figured there was a bit more to smoothing groups than that?

UPDATE: After Googling it, it does seem that Edge Split is the closest Blender equivalent to "smoothing groups." I do wonder if there are fundamental differences between what 3ds max does and Blender though, based on:

In Blender, you can use an angle threshold or simply mark what edges you want to be sharp. So there's no "smoothing group" to discard. Also, since it just generates extra vertices, there aren't multiple normals per vertex.

In any case, that's some serious out-of-the-box thinking and a fantastic style. Thanks for creating that article! Great stuff.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Nice writeup, interesting use of gradients and other color techniques, thanks for sharing.