Search Unity

Making rain in a top down game

Discussion in '2D' started by Deeblock, May 24, 2018.

1. Deeblock

Deeblock

I have a particle system simulating rain in my top down game. However, I cannot turn on collisions for the particles because colliders will block the particles from going further down the scene. In that case, how do I make "rain splashes" when the rain hits the floor? It's a 2D 3/4 top down game. Thanks

2. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

Make them destroy after a certain amount of time. And add a function to spawn a "rain splash" particle when your ranidrop is destroyed.

3. Deeblock

Deeblock

Hmm, I'm using the particle system built into Unity. Is there a function or method I can access when a particle reaches the end of its lifespan?

4. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

You can just attach a script to it that checks for when its destroyed, and then Instantiate the splash particles

5. Deeblock

Deeblock

Attach a script to the particle system? How can I check when an individual particle gets destroyed?

6. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

Use the "Death" condition in the sub emitters module of the Particle System component. You can specify another Particle System made to look like a splash to start after the current particle is destroyed.

mrCharli3 likes this.
  7. Deeblock

Deeblock

Oh woops. Thanks for clarifying! Didn't notice that sub module.