Search Unity

Making new genres "Should we try to crowdfund new games?"

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by PenguinEmporium, Dec 29, 2015.

1. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

I've been thinking about the last couple years and the on-off success with old or obscure genres being Kickstarted as well as new innovative ideas and IPs. But should we be trying to do this? What if we are doing a disservice to the industry by crowdfunding, even if our products are successful? Do you think that crowdfunding gives backers a false positive? Is this a case of sunk cost fallacy?

Will more users overlook the flaws in an new or experimental game if they invested money into it? Just look at today's consumers engaging in the sunk cost fallacy. Despite xBone and PS4 being almost identical, consumers try to reassure themselves that the product they bought was superior when in reality the WiiU is the coolest one out there. Does this effect happen with new games out there being crowdfunded?

Thoughts?

P.S. I do not mean to offend anybody who has a PS4 or xBone. The WiiU being superior is simply a joke. I actually own a PS4....... but I do want a WiiU. :p

2. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Has anything new actually come out of Kickstarter? A few have certainly been a part of budding genres, but has there been anything that wouldn't be identified as a pre-existing genre at a glance?

Admittedly, I think Kickstarter is mostly fueled by nostalgia (at least as far as high budget games seem to be concerned). Trying to sell/pitch a novel concept is not going to be easy, and without a fleshed out demo, it's debatable whether anyone would actually understand what you are trying to do.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  3. tedthebug

tedthebug

If you can do the work to run a kick starter & cope with not reaching a target you will have at least made contact with potential customers. If you are going to do the project anyway then get as much done as possible so you are close to release when you start the Kickstarter & then use it as more of a marketing tool. Keep in touch with clients that support you even if you fail & let them know when it is available for purchase.

I'm in the early stages of a game that is being paper prototyped & people have expressed interest in a physical version as well which obviously has higher start costs. What we are considering doing is funding the initial run ourselves, making the electronic version for release on app stores & then Starting a Kickstarter to recover some of our costs for the physical & electronic games & raise awareness of the products. We may not go through with it but that's where my head is at the moment.

4. AndreasU

AndreasU

How do you get to this hypothesis about the disservice?

Lately i've read up on the controversies around Star Citizen and crowd funding is weird indeed.
    Normally if someone finances your product they'll get certain rights to affect development and a share of the profits. They might even get all the rights to the IP (which does seem wrong to me). On the other hand, with crowdfunding the people financing your game, paying your wages and outsourced development, get nothing. No rights, no share of the profits.
    It's a great proposition for developers, and not necessarily a good one for the gamers. But i dont see how you would arrive at "doing a disservice".

Of coure you can choose do so since the backers have very little protection for the pledges.

Duelyst is a tactical game that was kickstarted with the claim to be buy-to-play with all units unlocked. Later, after they had taken the money, they announced that they'd rather clone Hearthstone's business model.

But noone's forcing you to pull such a stunt when kickstarting your game.

Kickstarter is changing i think. By now, it is ruled by people/ companies who can create the most hype. Who typically wouldnt need Kickstarter in the first place.

Sony-backed Shenmue comes to mind. "Why not double-dip?"

To answer this with certainty i'd guess we'd need a few studies conducted about the psychology behind it. But i'd guess, yes, pre-investment seems to lead to extreme fanboyism in some people. And my personal impression is that the forums of such titles often read like an echo chamber.
    Extreme example is of course the biggest one.

5. frosted

frosted

I've noticed that it's very difficult to read player reviews for kickstarted games. The first month after a kickstarted game is released, the backers will review bomb the game with all positive reviews. It takes a couple months for more truthful unbiased reviews to come in. Often real reviewers are also, oddly, not immune.

I've learned to approach every kickstarted game with caution.

Martin_H likes this.
  6. Andrew-S

Andrew-S

My opinion is that the more unlike the game is to others, the more you must show to generate interest in it. This is why a lot of crowd funding works with games that claim to be like such and such game but with this feature. Some of those don't even have much of a prototype to show. If you are trying to create a new genre, then in order to do that you need to grow a massive interest and extensive groundwork first for it before even crowdfunding. Crowfunding is but a tool for not just financing your game but also marketing it. Many games have failed to deliver on Kickstarter but I find you have to look at each on an individual basis to gage it's merits. Crowfall seems to be one that is closer to a "new genre" than most and isn't negatively impacting, nor has been negatively impacted by using crowdfunding.

7. chrissanders

chrissanders

I plan on kickstarting a new original IP, which is why we are taking our time and flushing out our demo.

8. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Kickstarter is not new anymore. Which means, it's now used by those who are well funded, with clear ideas, and are looking for that extra push to take something to market. Maybe a snowboard that runs on wheels, a special watch that does something cool, or a new game console. The game developers with success generally fall into 2 categories: 1) recognized IP, personas, or companies working on a new effort or 2) a handful of lucky ducks who had enough magic in their presentation, concept, and prototype that it went viral. #1 is smart. #2 is playing the lottery.

Gigi

Kiwasi, tedthebug and Schneider21 like this.
unityunity