Search Unity

Making my first 3d game.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Deleted User, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello! I want to make a 3d game but I'm not entirely sure how. I have been teaching myself 3d modeling and animating and a little bit of programming. I really like the art style of the games Teslagrad and Limbo but it's a bit harder to manipulate the art style in a 3d game. I wanted to make a steampunk style horror game. Any ideas on how to achieve this would be highly appreciated. Thanks a ton.

2. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Don't skip the basics, it is fairly easy to get something that looks similar in 3D. It won't be exactly the same though, those games are 2D. You can further improve the results with various magic tricks, advanced 3D modelling and by creating your own shaders etc.

I'd recommend that you look through this series:
    Hand painted textures

It is a good idea to practice more c# programming, you can never have enough knowledge in any game development related topic and programming is the part that ties it all together and make stuff happen.

Finally, Unity got a learn section, there are several tutorials if you google for them and even youtube got several extensive tutorials for beginners.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Awesome! Those videos were very helpful.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

What would be a good normal map generator? I used to use Crazybump when it was free but now I use NormalMap-Online. I was wondering if there were any better free alternatives. Thanks