Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Money off a Game Developed During Spring Break

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stopsecret, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Stopsecret

Stopsecret

Well, I think the title is pretty self-explanatory.
    Last week I had some free time, and I whipped up a local multiplayer (not LAN, same computer multiplayer) rougelike about a space station invaded by aquatic creatures.
    Being only one person I did everything from ground up, so all the art is done by a programmer in pixel graphics to keep it simple. Right now the menu is rough.

LINK

So what I'm wondering is how exactly should I go about selling this game, if at all?

Option 1 (or option 0 for any of you who have worked with Unity's Arrays ;) ) I am considering is releasing the game for free download (perhaps even open-source on sourceforge). I figure this will help to build up a user base in case I release another game. The game seems in enough of a niche for that.

Option 2 was someone suggested making the game mobile. I am somewhat hesitant to do this as right now I don't have a development device for it, and the controls are more geared towards the computer (i.e. I might have to do dreaded 'porting' which could take away from the user experience).

Option 3 is to do a digital online publishing service (steam, gog) for a low price as something casual to pick up for maybe 3 bucks.

I have a feeling that all you really need to do is make a fun game and the cash follows.
    I was wondering what you guys think of games this scale, what you might do, if anything, if you think the game is fun enough to make it?

Thanks! :)
    -Stopsecret

2. chrisall76

chrisall76

Honestly, I've published a mobile game. Unless your ready to advertise on big sites and spend a bit of money to do it, your not going to earn much on mobile. May a few buys, that's about it. At the moment, it's a nice base for a good game, but not something I would buy yet.

First, you need something to keep players coming back. What most games like this usually do is have the player earn score playing,
    then let them spend these points for weapons/accessories that can be used in-game. You need to have a reason for players to come back or else
    they won't see a reason to buy. Also, seems from what I play there's only one enemy class, which can get boring after a while. Different varieties could
    help alot.
    Only other thing I can think about is more sounds and add online multiplayer, as I don't think many people have people around them that would play a game with them, and there friends could be anywhere really. Would be a nice addition.

3. goat

goat

I would have skipped that game altogether and actually make a Spring Break themed game.

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Option 1 will get you nothing

Option 2 will cost you money, get you nothing

Option 3 is a maybe, but forget about steam, that's not an option, also if it costs money, it will get you (wait for it) nothing.

YAY!

unless its an amazing game that somehow manages to go viral.

5. Stopsecret

Stopsecret

Yeah, the further you play into it, more enemies appear.

lol that actually sounds like it could be interesting

So, wait, I think what you're trying to say is that I get nothing, right? ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think maybe I'll just release it free! :p

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

That's the norm for most people.

7. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Personally, I would go with releasing it for free but keeping a paypal link to donate to around. It can't hurt your odds at making some beer money.

8. S3dition

S3dition

You'd be surprised how often $50 shows up out of no where when you do that!

But, yeah, don't expect to get rich. You could do free with ads and $1 without. Or donation. Or just free. Those are really your 3 options.

9. yoonitee

yoonitee

So I just watched Spring Breakers....

Aren't you supposed to be in Florida, hanging out with ganstas with gold grills and and snorting cocaine off naked college girls on Spring Break?

I saw it in a film so it must be true.

10. CarterG81

CarterG81

So AVATAR is real?

$whoa.jpg

11. goat

goat

I used to work as a busboy and the things you get propositioned to do and the state some people answer the door in, well...but you get good tips from those people though even though I say no. So not all of that is exaggerated...stay safe.

12. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I'm working for a bunch of bozos right now, the game I'm working working on for less then 1week and they are expecting it make them a boatload of cash, gold fever or something people get delusional but the reality unless your game is top of the line, chases a trend or somehow goes viral it's DOA

13. Stopsecret

Stopsecret

Well, I guess some people have to learn the hard way (other people can learn by posting on the Unity Gossip thread :p)
    Right now I'm in the process of making it a simple freeware game, webplayer+download+donate style :)
    What's the game about?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  14. Dudecjl2

Dudecjl2

Well Everyone has been thinking hard but some make no sense I have an idea..... First make the controls WSAD (most gamers use those controls) second make a website 3rd make donation area and vip area 4th announce everywhere for everyone to vote for your game on steam greenlight 5 get it on steam 6 charge 3.00 7 Make it more multiplayer 8 make lan included 9th give me a free download of the game and 15% profit for this idea to me 10th add a shop for xp exc. 11th make a boss 12th add instructions then do step 4 after that do step 9...... Step 13 last step send me the code so I can make a multiplayer game and msg me at purpleunicorneatspoptarts@gmail.com :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best idea

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014