Search Unity

Making game frustration

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by zalimdaner, Jan 17, 2021.

1. zalimdaner

zalimdaner

We are living is 21st century but still is very very difficult to make game almost 2 months still i cant understand basic unity features sometime camera disable , 3d model have many files don't understand which should use for unity today making game is frustration

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

What kind of game are you trying to make?

3. zalimdaner

zalimdaner

Fighting Game but i can start from beginner level as well i brought one 3d model character with 9 animations like Run, ,death, hurt, Walk, Idle, and Attacks I can use Run animation like Runner game

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Fighting games are hard. 3D fighting games, even more so. (I'm actually the lead developer on such a game now, which should be released later this year for major platforms.)

I guess my best advice is, start small, work your way through tutorials, and expect to need a few years to level up your skills.

Ryiah and Joe-Censored like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Game development is a difficult industry to be in partially due to the technology and tools we work with constantly advancing but also partially because it's not just one field of interest but rather many different fields all with high degrees of complexity.

For someone getting started it's highly recommended you choose a single field and be prepared to spend months with just that field alone. Once you have a solid understanding of the basics then you can start learning another field. If you want to be a generalist and able to handle some of every field be prepared to spend years.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Schneider21, zalimdaner and JoeStrout like this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If game dev was easy, why would AAA game companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars making them? Why would Cyberpunk have taken 8 years for a large team to create and still get released in a controversially poor state?

Set your expectations accordingly. If you just started, you should be working on something no more complex than frogger, and expect it to take months. A fighting game will be more complex and take longer.

7. zalimdaner

zalimdaner

Thanks for your suggestion i wanted to say i am not good with Characters designing, and what rest gaming field you suggest me i don't much more about gaming field except making characters, animation characters adn game development with coding?

Thanks Please let me know from where i can start from, i tried to development Brick game but still this game is not complete due to some error , maybe coding issue copy coding from youtube tutorial

8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Probably start by fixing that, then. Possibly the first thing you'll need to learn is how to post a good question that can generate good answers, but that in itself is a very valuable skill for a game developer.

Ryiah and Schneider21 like this.
  9. Schneider21

Schneider21

I agree absolutely with every response you've gotten here. I'd encourage you to take the advice to heart, and not just dismiss it as something that applies to others.

Joe's point about asking good questions is important. The point behind it is that asking the right question will, once your skills are more developed, even lead you to discover the answer yourself. I've lost count of how many times I've started a post describing a problem I was having, only to figure it out in due course as I was explaining the issue in a way someone not familiar with the project could understand.

I also appreciate that English is not everyone's native language, and that's perfectly fine. But taking the time to properly form your sentences and paragraphs will help communicate your thoughts and needs more effectively, and in turn will get you better responses. Look at your first post here, and imagine you're reading a tutorial structured like that. Would you be able to understand what the guide wanted you to do? Contrast that with the responses you're getting here. Which is easier to follow?

In addition to that, I want to offer something else that might not seem too helpful, but I promise you it is: Learn to Google. We modern-day developers have it much easier than the folks who came a few decades before us. With the Internet, a wealth of resources are available to you in an instant, but only if you know how to find them. Searching for the right set of terms will go a long way in getting the answers to appear in front of your face.

Lastly, you need to have patience. I've only been writing code for something like 10 years now, and I'm learning new things every day, still. I also still struggle with various tasks and encounter errors I have difficulty solving. That's just a normal part of being a developer. It's even MORE common with game development as it's a smaller subset of the greater development community with fewer standard "best practices" for you to rely on (in the sense that there's really no one way to make a fighting game, for example, as the specifics of what you want to make could be done in a number of very different ways). Sometimes you're going to run into problems that no one else will be able to solve for you, and you'll have to push through it if you want to continue the project.

Don't give up. Keep working and learning.

JoeStrout and Ryiah like this.