Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Making copies of a project stored in Plastic SCM.

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Royal_Snakedog, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Royal_Snakedog

Royal_Snakedog

Hi, I need to make two copies of a project stored on Plastic. My aim is to then subtly edit these clones to have three working independent projects. I am new to Plastic SCM and finding the environment very challenging.

Has anyone got any advice on the safest way to achieve my goals?

Thank you very much in advance!

2. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

3. Royal_Snakedog

Royal_Snakedog

Thanks for your response!

I am not sure that creating multiple branches would be ideal, as my aim is to create three totally independent versions.

To give you a little more details. I am a researcher that has created an experiment using Unity in VR to manipulate physiology as a response to being immersed in the gameplay. To run the experiment a build was created and run from a local PC in our lab.

As a follow-up project, I would like to create two further versions of the original game, however with slight functional variations in gameplay.

The desired goal is to have three totally independent builds that I can run participants through at different times.

Thanks again for your help with this.

4. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

If both versions have the same original base/common code, you can create different branches to perform changes from the initial project version. Having branches will allow you to integrate changes that you do to some version to the other.

If the 3 versions don't have anything in common and you don't plan to develop common tasks that need to be merged, you could create independent repositories for each project version.

5. Royal_Snakedog

Royal_Snakedog

Great, thank you.

I think I just need to create independent repositories for each project version then.

Sorry, one last question is this just done by making copies of the original in the Plastic app/portal?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

6. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

You can create three independent worksapces (in three different local paths) and creating a specific repository for each of the workspaces.

Royal_Snakedog likes this.