Search Unity

Making coloured translucent windows

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by mbanzi, Oct 15, 2009.

1. mbanzi

mbanzi

Hello

I'm using unity to prototype a media facade I'm working on.. essentialy there is a building with an coloured LED bar on every window and the whole facade can be used as a low res screen.

I've imported the 3d model of the building and I've put a small rectangular mesh that changes colour.

The problem: I'm serching for a nice translucent material that would glow... the result I'm trying to achieve is what you see in left side of the attachment while what I'm getting now (right side) it's kind of flat and looks like plastic..

I'm using a Lightmapped/Vertexlit material with a lightmap that has a vertical gradient (to simulate the way the light looks in the real building)

Any ideas? I'll ship a box of Arduino products to whoever finds the solution :) :)

thanks

massimo

Attached Files:

2. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

The building in the photo has two layers: the walls indoors, and the facade with the windows themselves. I think the nicest way to reproduce the picture would be to model both, and use a lightmap on the walls inside, and Particles/Additive on the glass. Then you could even modify individual windows using vertex colours if you wanted.

3. wimeck

wimeck

Hi there,

Did you think about actually using an image as a texture? On the photograph all the windows look almost the same, except for the color. You could make some different ones changing the hue in Photoshop, or maybe you could even animate the hue from within Unity?. It won't actually be transparent, but do you really need that?

Greetings,

Wim

example: