Search Unity

Making apps in Unity

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by NinjaRubberBand, Nov 16, 2018.

1. NinjaRubberBand

NinjaRubberBand

So ive been using unity for a couple of years (on and off), and always made games which unity of course is mostly designed for. Recently i got an idea for an app, but i don't if unity is capable of making such apps.
    The app mostly consists of an world map, where users can submit different spots. Lets say its an app for finding statues (just an example). On the map you can see different markers of different statues all around the world. When you click a marker on the map, you can see pictures of the statue, facts and other stuff. You can also get directions to the statue. People using the app can submit their own markers which of course needs to be approved. This is the basic of the idea, just wanted to know if its possible to make in unity?
    If not, what application would be best for making this kind of app? Thanks.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

I mean, that seems like it'd be entirely doable in Unity, though it'll be a monumental task to take on. I think the real problem is going to be running the backend, which I think would best be handled by a server solution with a bit more versatility than Unity can easily provide.

3. Zahidylin_Marat

Zahidylin_Marat

Hello. Better to do it using native android API and development tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/
    But if you don't have experience with android-native-API, you can try google: "google map for unity".

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I imagine you could also just make a shared/public list of statue locations in Google Earth.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  5. orb

orb

It doesn't seem too darn monumental to me, and Unity could be useful if you're making a cross-platform app. World map, contact map service (Google isn't the only one), zoom in animation, display data. Information and statue models could be in updateable asset bundles.

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, I think I built up the idea in my head because I was like "well, there are a few things you could implement that would be Unity specific, but keeping everything running smooth would be the big issue, especially if you eschewed services like Google Maps