Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Making an old idea new again, at what point is it not possible anymore?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Sajid, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Sajid

Sajid

Hey all.

I'm sure a lot of us have struggled with coming up with good ideas for games. I currently find myself stuck somewhere in the same area, and I have a few questions.

Now, there are two different parts of games, as far as design is concerned, which is gameplay and theme (there are obviously more, but for the purpose of this question, those are the only related ones).

A stellar game would come up with creative, never before seen gameplay, while also providing a new and refreshing theme that doesn't seem repetitive or overdone (see: minecraft-esque block games, mid-evil fantasy RPGS, ect). But what happens when you only manage to have one?

For a game I'm currently working on solo, I wanted to try and put a new spin on the classic top-down zombie survival shooter. Much like CoD zombies, they spawn in waves of ever increasing difficulty. Now, the theme for this was supposed to be where the main character was a critter under a childs bed, defending it from monsters and creepy things trying to get under there. Each wave would be a night, and each break would be daytime.

It seems great and all, but I'm having trouble coming up with ways of making the gameplay new and exciting. It seems like this type of game has been done so much that there isn't much new to do. Sure you can come up with some new stuff, but at the end of the day it needs to be new enough to keep people interested.

I know from personal experience that theme only goes so far. Once the initial immersion, players try to become better at the game. It is at this point that they lose interest (mostly) in the actual theme of the game, and focus on the mechanics of the thing itself.

So, where is the balance between a new theme and new gameplay? is it possible to have a game with a new and exciting theme, but with gameplay people are already familiar with? or the other way around?

Thanks.

2. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

This might not be an often expressed opinion, but doing something well is more important than doing something new. Doing something new means doing something untested, and doing something untested typically takes more time to shake it down and to implement it well.

Look at a game like Bastion which doesn't do much that is new, but does everything well.

3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Typically you want to do a little bit of new, and a lot of what's expected. You should use existing expectations to your advantage to help people better understand, control and enjoy your work.

As I recently said in another thread, would you enjoy having to learn every computer application you use from scratch? Probably not. The fact that everything uses some foundation of existing conventions, such as those surrounding the WIMP paradigms, means that it's super easy to pick up and use new software - you already know 90% of it, you only have to spend effort learning the new stuff unique to the new software.

That is how it should be, and the same applies to games. Otherwise you're just making life harder for yourself - and for your users - for no practical gain whatsoever.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.