Search Unity

Making a working elevator that can lift FP controller

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by escondar, Sep 27, 2006.

1. escondar

escondar

I thought by imported an animated "elevator" mesh (just a cube really) that went up and down periodically, I could use it a moving platform that could be walked on and used to lift the player if it had a mesh collider. I imported a cinema 4d mesh with it's cinema 4d animation and placed it in the scene. it moved properly, and it even collided with a ball that had a mesh collider, but when I attempted to walk on it it passed through the first person controller .

Don't know if this is possible. I would have thought it was straight forward. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

thanks

WJS

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Not without knowing how you've got things set up, but some random thoughts: presumably you're using the kinematic first person controller? Kinematic objects aren't affected by the physics engine; all of the movement is under scripted control. You could try the RigidbodyFPSWalker instead. The movement for the elevator is done in Cinema4D and imported as an animation? Does the collider match the motion of the object when you do that? (I don't know; I've never done movement like that.) Maybe you're better off scripting the motion of things like elevators?

--Eric

3. escondar

escondar

Thanks.
    the kinematic first person controller is able to walk around on meshes with colliders. I was thinking that scripted movement would be abetter solution then an a pre animated mesh. but my C4d animation skills are 100 x better then my scripting skills.

I has assumed that a mesh collider would travel with the mesh.