Search Unity

Question Making a Trading/Collectible Card Game (Yu-Gi-Oh!/Pokémon Hybrid Mechanics)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Stobros1, Jun 18, 2021.

?

Should we add a rarity system to classify the cards by how good or bad they are?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

100.0%
  1. Stobros1

Stobros1

It's my first time here on the Unity forums, and I really need some help with my first big project--a card game which uses single attack-defense system like in Yu-Gi-Oh!, but with the HP added, much like Pokémon but with no prizes involved. There are also fusions in the game, but they are all integrated in the main deck unlike in Yu-Gi-Oh! which are placed in a separate dedicated deck.

Apart from that, I wanted to make the rule of setting a limited number of cards in attack stance/position (Tapped, as I call it) whereas the others that are in defense stance/position will receive damage from enemy cards.

Also, I prefer not to use powers of 10 or 100 for all of the attack, defense, and health, and not go over the limits I've set.

You are all welcome to leave comments and suggestions to help improve my project in a good way.
    Thanks in advance
    -Stobros1​

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome. I'll skip the part where I recommend you start with an extremely simplified version of your idea in order to avoid getting overwhelmed with the sheer scope of what you're trying to do, since I assume you've heard it all before.

I will offer one piece of advice, though, based on your other posts so far: avoid spending as much time discussing your game and instead focus on actually making something for it. Telling someone about your game idea creates a response in your brain similar to the effect you get from actually working on it, and gives you a false sense of accomplishment that can be counterproductive to actually getting anything done. I know this from personal experience.

It's totally cool to have grand ideas and everything. But you need to get started just making the basic functionality of what you're looking to do first and not get caught up in focusing on the distant future.

Good luck!

UnityMaru and Stobros1 like this.
  3. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

It's an OK idea, but I wouldn't base it too heavily on Pokemon or Yu-Gi-oh, don't wanna get in bother due to copyright issues.

As mentioned as well, if you're a Unity newbie like me, you might want to start off with a simpler project.

Stobros1 likes this.