Search Unity

Making a Simple Business app with Unity. (Would it be bulky?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ExCx, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Arowx

Arowx

Build it quickly in Unity as a prototype and use fast iteration to make it as good as you can.

Imagine what it is like for the people who will use the tool, they will want it to load and run instantly do the job fast and easily and not drain the battery or waste their time.

Then rebuild it using the best tools for the job.

This way you are skilling up on industry standard tools and technologies, which will be easier to support and maintain and can be handed off to other developers or a team thereof to improve upon.

Or imagine your app takes off, one of your bosses shows the Unity logo'd app to a 'professional' software developer and they ridicule your cluess boss and get a contract taking over your project.

I would suggest this for any internal projects because once they are released and if they are adopted they will need maintenance and support as well as updates and new features.

If it's going to be on a mobile platform then you are going to need regular updated for OS/SDK and resolutions.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Or use the best tools for the job because most app development frameworks have prototyping tools already.

xVergilx likes this.
  3. pippo_unity

pippo_unity

Very interesting discussion, basically gave answers to a lot of questions I had.
    For cross-platform business apps that have to deal with 2D graphics, video, video streams, server connections, text fields, custom UI etc. I do strongly suggest to use AIR. Very mature platform. Lots of free tools. Adobe pushes out a new release every 3 months (we are actually at 32). Based on AS3 which is a full compliant OOP ECMASCript language. Huge community and great docs.
    It is what I use to release huge apps on touch walls, that can super easily be exported on iOS and Android.
    There are heaps of native plugins that work exactly the same on iOS and Android.
    Managing assets and creating graphics takes very little time using Animate.
    AS3 is supported on VSCode, IntelliJ, and lots of other IDEs.
    Lately I built a touch.screen app for a 4K screen, controlled by an iPad on a local network using UDP, using the same source code, just changing publish target.
    In terms of productivity AIR is unbeatable, in spite of a lot of bias due to its inheritance from the Flash platform.
    Said this, if you are a JavaScript guy, look into PhoneGap.
    Thank you guys for this interesting thread.

4. pippo_unity

pippo_unity

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I'l stick to AIR.

5. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

6. Raeion

Raeion

With the new C# ECS and bust complier, seems like there is huge potential in developing super fast apps with Unity. I'm going to try research this tiny awesomeness soon. perhaps there is more hope after all ! I just hope Unity expedites these things !