Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Making a movie in Unity?

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by yoonitee, Nov 17, 2018.

1. yoonitee

yoonitee

I'm making an animated movie. Should I make it in Unity or Blender. What's your opinion?

2. At this point with Timeline and Cinemachine Unity has better tools to actually make a movie. In exchange you can use Raytrace to render your movie in Blender. So it depends on what you're looking for. :)

3. yoonitee

yoonitee

Yes, timeline etc. is what's moving me towards Unity. But then the actual rendering is moving me to Blender. I don't use Cycles in Blender just Blender Render but it's still quite slow. 4 seconds per frame. (Which adds up over a 20 minute animation.) But I'm worried Unity won't look as good. And I'll have to make the models in Blender anyway and they don't always transfer everything you need like inverse kinematics.

I guess I'll just have to try both and see. Or use both!

4. coldpizzapunk

coldpizzapunk

If you are just making movies. You could bring in fully animated models using Alembic file format. It will bring in the models as collapsed animated meshes, but retain materials, vertex animations, IK, etc. (I use Cinema 4D and 3DS MAX, but would assume blender can also save out Alembic files). You won't be able to adjust them in Unity, but you should be able to work between the two programs, using blender to animate characters and unity to render. You can play alembic animations in the timeline. Then if you have the budget, I would suggest some additional plugins in unity to make the unity scene prettier. Amplify has several plugins. OR you could look at the Octane Render inside Unity plugin, I have not used it personally, but it might be the right fit for movies.