Search Unity

Making a game with grappling hooks and wallrunning - Rigidbody controlller or character controller?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Schytheron, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Schytheron

Schytheron

Hi!

Me and a group of people are making a game for a school project. In this game we intend to have grappling hooks and wallrunning as a mechanic and we are unsure what type of controller would work best for these mechanics; a rigidbody controller or a character controller?

I have a feeling that a rigidbody controller would work best for a grappling hook mechanic and a character controller controller would work best with wallrunning. But we can't combine the two, right?

I am fairly new to Unity so I might be completely wrong though. We intend the grappling hook mechanic to work similarity to the pathfinder grappling hook from Apex Legends (
    ) and the wall running to be similar to the wallrunning ability that Lucio has in Overwatch (
    ).

Thoughts? Can you make wallrunning work well with a rigidbody controller?

2. QuincyC

QuincyC

I think you'd basically just want to do a sphere trace for the wall, then when you hit the wall disable gravity on your rigidbody. Then just apply a fake gravity force over time when the wall run "wears down" and then re-enable gravity when it's over.