Search Unity

Making A FMV Game In Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wwinter86, Jun 14, 2012.

1. wwinter86

wwinter86

Hi,
    I was wondering it would be possible to create a fmv (full motion video) game in Unity and if so would you need Unity pro?

2. Khyrid

Khyrid

3. wwinter86

wwinter86

lol That looks like the greatest game ever made.

I’m new to Unity, approximately how would you insert a video of a character into a 3D environment (like in the Tex Murphy games)? Would you not need Pro?

4. welby

welby

check this out

http://unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=Animating_Tiled_texture_-_Extended

I use something like this to make little animated textures for FX with Unity Free.

now using for full on movies is another thing,..may get too laggy?

Google and youtube' unity3d animated textures',...there's some stuff out there.

good luck!

-Welby

5. wwinter86

wwinter86

Thanks, I’ll take a look at that.

Has anyone on here ever tried anything like this in Unity before?

6. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yes, Unity Pro supports playing FMV (compressed as Ogg Theora). On PC/Mac it can be decoded to a texture which you can then draw to the screen (or do other stuff with, eg draw it onto a TV screen in a 3D environment). On mobile, you can play movies but I think they only permit the full screen style.

7. wwinter86

wwinter86

So it would have to be the Pro version not the free one?

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

For RenderTexture's yes you need pro, and for Unity to use Plugins you need pro as well, in this case it sounds like you would need both these features.

9. Harissa

Harissa

Hmm, making a decent FMV game is really, really difficult and the worst part is that you don't know what its actually like until you've shot all your video and then you've usually spent all your money and can't change it.
    http://listverse.com/2011/12/24/10-notorious-full-motion-video-titles/

As far as I know, to do this in Unity you'd really need Unity Pro for the video handling. I would also go as far as to say that if you're not using 3D then this isn't really playing to Unity's strengths. If money is a concern then you could do it much cheaper using other tools. Personally I'd do it in Flash but you could probably find an HTML5 solution. Both have completely free dev environments.

10. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Have a link? I didn't realize Flash had a free dev environment.

Gigi

11. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

The keyword you mentioned is "Tex Murphy". If I recall correctly, it was basically an adventure game with sprite based animations.

Again, let me emphasis the keyword here - "sprite". You can use sprite in Unity free. If you don't know how to make sprite based game - there are quite a few cheap sprite based 2D extensions you can buy from Asset Store :

ex2D $35
    2D Toolkit $55
    Orthello 2D Framework $35
    EZSprite $25.00

If you can get sprite animation working and synch with your audio, then you effectively have FMV anyway.

There is another thread about this :
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/11786-Movie-as-intro-with-Unity

So, it depends which path you are going with this.

If you want to do completely full FMV - ala' "MYST" or "The 7th Guest" - where you play a full motion video and at the end of it give user a branching choice - I would say you can still use sprites (just very large full screen sprites) basically converting videos you shot with your digital camera to image strips (sprite sheets) and "play blast" them with Unity and give user choice at the end. Or you can play the movie using external movie player and loop back to Unity with the last frame of the video save to image file and use the texture and set up collision box for UI branching choice.

On the other hand, if you want to do "partial FMV" - like the early ACCESS SOFTWARE games like "Countdown", "Mean Street", "Martian Memorandum" (these later two are the first and second of the Tex Murphy series) - you definitely need sprite based animation - shoot yourself (or actors) on green screen (Chroma key), assemble the images (if you take photos) or convert the video (if you shoot video) to image strip (sprite sheets).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012