Search Unity

making a 2D monopoly game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by kantescore, Dec 4, 2018.

1. kantescore

kantescore

hey everybody,

i'm a student and for my final project i'm going to build a monopoly game that includes
    player vs player or player vs AI .
    for now i'm planning to make a 2D board,therefore i wanted to ask if it's worth the effort learning unity
    and building the game with it or if there's an option to create my project using java and some other game programming platform ?

i know that C# is very familiar to java but since most of the online courses of unity provide you with knowledge about 3D games i want to make sure that i'm in the right direction :)

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hey cool! One of my good friends in college did the same thing.

There are plenty of options. But Unity is one of the easiest.

Besides, even with a 2D board, you should make 3D dice because they're cool. My friend in college spent way too much time making those 3D dice... but that was before Unity. With Unity, it should be easy.

There is no real difference between 2D and 3D in Unity. All the same knowledge applies.

Schneider21 and Antypodish like this.
  3. kantescore

kantescore

thank you very much ,that's exactly the reassuring answer i was looking for :)

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

This sounds like a great project for school, and Unity is a great engine to use to meet your goal.

Like Joe said, there's not much difference between 2D and 3D, especially for something like a board game. I would offer that using 3D gives you more opportunity for fun and impressive visuals, if you want to experiment with that stuff. My first (and currently only) game got some attention simply because it was -- and I believe still is -- the only game for that style of game that's in 3D.

Another thing I wanted to bring up is that Monopoly is infamous for being an extremely drawn-out game. And computer-based renditions of the game somehow make the game take even longer by adding in animations and stuff. So maybe consider using this project as an opportunity to flex your design muscles a bit, too, and tinker with ways to change the Monopoly formula to make games last an hour or less. I have a few ideas for that myself, but I'll let you think on it a bit first. Just let me know if you want to bounce some ideas around.

Good luck! And have fun!

JoeStrout likes this.
  5. saurabhrohilla747

saurabhrohilla747

Can you share the game files because I'm trying to build one for my project.
    Thank You

6. saurabhrohilla747

saurabhrohilla747

7. yarobrazzer

yarobrazzer

Hi, tell me please, how did your success with the game turn out to achieve the desired result?
    Now I really want to create a similar game on Unity, but with my own vision. In my opinion there is a very cool idea. But there is no base where to start, please share your best practices, information, videos, or articles, where you can find out more about this?
    I would like to achieve this result:
    https://www.marmaladegamestudio.com/games/monopoly/

Write to the mail if it will be convenient yarobrazzer@gmail.com
    Thanks, Regards