Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Make rigidbody keep its velocity

Discussion in 'Physics' started by kqmdjc8, Aug 19, 2019.

1. kqmdjc8

kqmdjc8

Hello. I've made a simple script which lets me drag a rigidbody with my mouse. When I release mouse button rigidbody loses it's momentum and stops instantly. How do I convince a rigidbody that it has velocity and needs to lose some speed before instantly stopping?

2. kqmdjc8

kqmdjc8

(To move a rigidbody I am using rb.MovePosition)

3. Edy

Edy

Move it with AddForce in ForceMode.VelocityChange.

While the mouse button is pressed you have to compute the velocities that keep the rigidbody under the cursor. When the mouse button is released then the rigidbody would remain with the velocity it had at that time.

kqmdjc8 likes this.
  4. kqmdjc8

kqmdjc8

Thank you. I thought that computing velocity would be hard but now I see that it is just difference of position in 2 frames.

Edy likes this.
  5. kqmdjc8

kqmdjc8

Hey. Tried to implement this and I think that I am missing something. This is how I calculate velocity:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void CalculateVelocity()
    2.     {
    3.         prevPos = newPos;
    4.         newPos = clickedObject.transform.position;
    5.         velocity = newPos - prevPos;
    6.     }
    On releasing mouse button I am giving rigidbody this computed velocity and it doesn't work. I mean it does work but velocity is super small like 0.01 on X axis. Tried to give a rigidbody just constant Vector3(1,0,0) velocity and it works well, the speed looks real. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: multiplying computed velocity by 100 seems to give quite realistic results, but I guess there is a better way to do this

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  6. koirat

koirat

should be " velocity = (newPos -prevPos)/dTime " where dTime is time between prevPos and newPos.

Alos move prevPos = newPos; to the end.

kqmdjc8 likes this.