Search Unity

Feedback make public TextElement.MeasureVisualElementTextSize()

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by Devi-User, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Devi-User

Devi-User

This is a very useful method that I would like to use not only for objects inherited from TextElement, but also for specifying the size of my TextField. Unfortunately, the method contains elements that are also hidden under internal, and I can not just copy it. This is a very good method that allows you to find the size of the text and it seems I have not found a universal way to do it in a different way.

2. AlexandreT-unity

AlexandreT-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Devi-User, we'll consider adding an API for that, thanks for your feedback!

Devi-User likes this.
  3. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Actually there is a public API to get text measurement via the TextElement : https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Doc...e/UIElements.TextElement.MeasureTextSize.html

The main caveat is that the element must have received its styles in order for this to return valid information.
    One can register for
    GeometryChangedEvent
    onto it to make sure correct information is available.

As Alexandre mentioned, we will look for ways to make this immediate in the future.

Thanks

4. alancomerhof

alancomerhof

I can measure the text, but trying to write to the Label.style property is just ignored. The debugger shows "Could not find a member 'fontSize' for 'label.style'