Search Unity

Make Plastic as easy as Collaborate again ?

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by astanid, May 14, 2022.

1. astanid

astanid

For half a year with Collaborate i never had serious problems - i could commit in seconds and go back to any changeset with zero problems. I'm struggling with Plastic for like 3 weeks now... and every single day i wish to come back to collaborate. But maybe i need some education ?
    I even lost all my old changesets after migrating and i got no help from support with that :(
    1. What are those Checkout button for ? I need to checkout for every edit i make and looks like they are ignored in changesets after that ?
    upload_2022-5-14_10-27-14.png
    this option doesn't help
    upload_2022-5-14_10-28-35.png
    2. How to update Project Settings ? in collaborate it was a bit buggy (i had to resave a scene to commit changes to project settings). With Plastic it works randomly ?
    3. There's no option to got back to changeset ? how is that ?
    upload_2022-5-14_10-30-41.png
    4. for another projetct i can't get to changeset while i have pending changes (errors etc). But what if i want to revert faulty project back to changeset no matter what ? i need to undo changes and only then go to changeset ?

I wonder if there's any chance to get back to collaborate again ? I would like to pay for it like i was paying last 6 month, but it was working solution :(
    If not what can i replace Plastic with with simple GUI and Cloud build support ?

Attached Files:

ericpug likes this.
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

IMO don’t use the plugin and just use the normal plastic client. The Unity plug-in just makes things worse IMO.

3. astanid

astanid

stand alone program is not good either...
    upload_2022-5-14_12-18-40.png
    select setting pressed chech in - programm closes. same story if i want to go to a changeset
    It all seems very buggy :( it's a pity we are forced to use that
    Too early - it's like some alpha version. I'm loosing tons of time struggling with it :(

MassimoFrancesco likes this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You can go back to changesets, right click a change set from the changesets tab and click change workspace to this changeset (or something along those lines).

You must not have pending chagnes to do that though so either commit or undo them before going to another changeset.

5. astanid

astanid

it's only working in application not in Unity plugin ?
    Why can't i update settings file ? it's checkout out - if i press check in Plastic SCM just closes

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don’t have much experience with the plug-in, I used it about a year ago and it was full of problems.

I am able to work with just the client just fine though.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There doesn't seem to be much communication from Unity regarding plans for the Unity plugin.

ericpug likes this.
  8. astanid

astanid

ok. But how can i update Plastic SCM ? looks like there's newer version - but i don't ses update option... upload_2022-5-14_20-21-44.png
    And i really struggle with updating ProjectSettings - no matter what i do this files is not included into change set...

9. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Thank you for providing your feedback about the change from Collaborate to Plastic SCM. I'm really sorry you had such a poor experience.

As @AcidArrow has said, if you use the Plastic SCM client instead of the plugin, then all file level changes you make within the Editor should be visible within the client, this includes changes to the ProjectSettings.asset file.

Regarding the plugin, please can you check that you are on a supported version of Unity, as listed here, and that you have the latest version of the Version Control package installed via Package Manager? I ask because in the latest version you can right-click on a changeset and choose to go back to it, similar to Collab's functionality.

I'm also saddened to hear that you had a bad experience with support and they were unable to assist you find your old changesets. If this is still a problem for you, please log another support ticket quoting this thread, and I will personally assist you with this topic.

P.s. to update your Plastic SCM client, just download the latest version here.

Hope this helps!

10. astanid

astanid

Thank you.
    Version Control Version 1.13.5
    Plastic 10.0.16.6505
    Unity 2021.1.28f
    this option is not here. but it's strange that i'm almost sure i saw it before...
    upload_2022-5-14_23-1-8.png
    Will this option work the same as got back to ?
    upload_2022-5-14_23-1-46.png
    there're like 3 different versions... cloud, team, enterprise... it's confusing. what should i choose ?

hippocoder likes this.
  11. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

I believe this is because you are using an older version of the plugin, please update to the latest (1.15.17 at time of writing) via Package Manager to use the "Go back to" feature.

This will revert your workspace to the selected changeset, but it will not put that changeset to the head of the branch and you will still be forced to update to the latest when checking in new content, which I suspect is undesired in your case. If you can update to the latest plugin and use the "Go back to" feature, this will be the simplest solution for you. To do the same in the Plastic SCM client would require a subtractive interval merge, which is quite an advanced feature only possible via the command line.

Cloud Edition is the one you want.

Hope this helps!

12. astanid

astanid

thanks. i've updated version control and that helped
    But i still have problems with Project Settings
    Open Project Settings - set budle version to 34, re-save a scene, Project Settings appears into changeset, check in - start cloud build via unity dashboard...
    "The bundle version, 30, must be a higher than the previously uploaded version. Duplicate bundle version. (-19210)"
    This is driving me mad :(
    upload_2022-5-15_12-21-49.png
    upload_2022-5-15_12-21-22.png
    upload_2022-5-15_12-22-37.png
    Why bundle version is not updating ?

Attached Files:

13. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

OK, please review the below questions...
    • Are you checking into the same branch that is configured in your Build Target in Cloud Build?
    • What changeset number does Cloud Build report is being used? Does it match the changeset you created?
    • What does your post-build script do exactly? Does it set the bundle version?
    ...realisticly a support ticket would be better than back and forth on the forums :)

Hope this helps!

14. astanid

astanid

thank you so much! looks like i was stupid enough to build another repo. I got two almost identical repo after update.One with old collaborate changes and another one with new changesets... Can't combine them together though :( gonna post new support ticket later.

15. astanid

astanid

another project... i messed up some materials and would like to get some files from last changeset
    there's no go back button and no way to update version control ?
    upload_2022-5-16_12-9-59.png
    opened plastic and tried to switch workspace to old changeset - no luck
    upload_2022-5-16_12-11-52.png
    but there're no pending changes...

What am i doing wrong this time ?

16. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

17. astanid

astanid

it's 2021.1.28f1
    upload_2022-5-18_10-24-16.png
    and problem is still there... no go back option
    even in application this option is not seen - no go back only diff
    upload_2022-5-18_10-25-25.png

18. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

I think "Switch workspace to this changeset" is what you are looking for,right?

19. astanid

astanid

it's close, but in fact that's another option

20. astanid

astanid

Broke a project recently (imported some plugin that agreed to upgrade 'burst' ? Plastic is not even available in project menu now.
    I opened workspace though Plastic stand alone program - tired to switch back to changeset - no luck. Ther're pending changes but how i dismiss them ? opening 'pending changes' window just closes the app :(
    upload_2022-5-19_11-43-39.png
    How can i force plastic to get back to changeset ?

hippocoder likes this.
  21. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Can't you undo the changes in the Plastic GUI --> "Pending Changes" view? if you reach us at support@plasticscm.com we will try to arrange a meeting to debug your setup. I haven't seen this problem in the past.

22. astanid

astanid

i can't even open this windows. it closes everytime i try to use it :(
    But look like problem in library folder this time... i believe this folder is not controlled by default ?

23. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi, it's difficult for me to properly understand the problem at this point. Can we arrange a meeting for further debugging? Please reach us at support@plasticscm.com

24. astanid

astanid

After some trial and error, chat with support etc i came to conclusion that my old Windows7 is just not supported. GUI crushes all the time. Is it true ? Is there anyone who uses Plastic with Win7 with no problems ?

25. astanid

astanid

I even tried to use it on another machine with windows 11. It's still bad... Or just bad unity integration ?
    1. I choosed cloud project - downloaded and opened it. I hoped it will be the latest changeset ? but no, it's unknown(?) version. I have to open Plastic (Unity UI is not working) Undo and then switch to the changeset.
    2. I really don't like constant errors trying to switch back to some older changeset. If there're pending changes - you have to undo them. But I want to go back no matter what without extra actions. Why it's not possible ?
    3. Is there some old stable Plastic version that i can use with Win7 ?

26. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

After you create a Plastic workspace, you will need to update the workspace to point it to the head of the "/main" branch. You can also manually switch to your desired branch/changeset.

Plastic doesn't allow to switch to a preview changeset with pending to commit changes. You can change the default preference in the Plastic GUI --> Preferences --> Other options --> Behavior when trying to switch/update with pending changes.

There are some known issue with the new Plastic X GUI and some missing libraries for Windows 7: https://forum.plasticscm.com/topic/...-0dll-error-when-switched-to-alpha-interface/
    Can you try the old Plastic GUI? In Windows: "C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\client\plastic.exe".

27. astanid

astanid

thank you that's very helpfull tip!
    i'm using it all the time. New GUI crashes instantly. Old GUI crashes only with in Branches/Pending changes

In fact i though that Plastic is some 'advanced' version of Collaborate... with good Unity integration.... But in fact it's just 3rd party software with lots of problems. And it's not adopted for using with unity.
    1. For example if you add a new project to Plastic - it does not even control Asset folder by default. Lots of files are checked private. It's a good way to loose part of the project... terrible
    2. I have a feeling that Collaborate picked for control and uploaded only files that are used in the project. This way it was not uploading gygabytes of texture packs while only 1% was used. But maybe i'm mistaken ?

I really with to have Collaborate back. I'm ready to pay for it :)
    Maybe you can recommend other options to try ? git ? gitlab ? with what GUI ?

28. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

What is your operating system? We have seen a similar issue with the macOS GUI in customer using old macOS versions. Is it your case?

Plastic is not ignoring by default your Assets folder. If you create a new Palstic workspace, the repo is empty by default so will need to perform an initial checkin to submit your project (including the Assets folder). This is common for git or any other SCMs.

29. astanid

astanid

it's not really working as expected

upload_2022-6-2_10-27-54.png
    upload_2022-6-2_10-28-20.png

Attached Files:

30. astanid

astanid

Windows 7. Yep, it's old but it worked OK with collaborate. I can't upgrade now

31. astanid

astanid

I got zip file with a project (demo from publisher). I opened it up with unity, add id, added plastic. And be default asset folder was private. I had to add it manually

32. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

By default, if the Plastic repository is new (empty) and your workspace items will appear as private until you perform the initial checkin. After the initial check, all the workspaces item will appear as "Controlled".

33. astanid

astanid

If i want to go to some old changeset and discard all the changes - what should i do ?
    usually i got lots of errors and merging questions - it's confusing. Source is 'server' destination - my local machine ?
    What is correct option ? I tried both -nothing is working.
    upload_2022-6-2_23-19-26.png
    All i want is to go to to the changeset. no questions, no merging - just stable, reliable going back and forth.
    Is it possible with Plastic ?

Attached Files:

34. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi, Not sure if you have Plastic GUI installed on your machine (www.plasticsc.com --> Downloads). It may be easier from the Plastic GUI.

If you want to avoid all the merge problems and you just want to undo all your local changes and switch your workspace to the desired changeset:
    - Undo your changes from the "Checkin changes" view.
    - After undoing your local changes, you will be able to switch to the desired branch/changeset. You can do it from the changesets list (right-click --> Switch to this changeset) or via the branch explorer (right-click --> Switch to this branch).

35. astanid

astanid

Again thanks to plastic i ruined my project. I was upgrading some asset SDK. I checked the folder with asset it was controlled. I imported new version of the asset - it worked bad. I tried to roll back to old changeset - lot's of errors
    I tried to investigate and lots of files on subfolders are marked as private.
    I don't know if those files are new or old... but it ruined my project. I'm just not confident everytime i rely on plastic. Is there anyway to force it to control whole asset forder by default ?
    upload_2022-6-16_18-40-5.png

36. flap

flap

I won't add much to the conversation, appart from the fact, that yes, Plastic SCM fells complicated and unreliable (probably unless you invest a fair amount of time to understand how it works).

That's a big difference with simply pressing a button to upload, as it used to be.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  37. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Please open a ticket at support@plasticscm.com and we will be happy to connect with you to debug your setup and fix your current project issues.

38. astanid

astanid

Spend like a day searching for iOS bug today. In the end i realized that in plastic workspace my script was called zoomCamera.cs instaed of ZoomCamera.cs! No errors, no warnings... stupid system...
    Is there any way to control Asset folder properly ? without sudden private files, wrong names etc ?

39. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

I don't understand the issue. Can you let us know the details? Plastic should be tracking the changes in your files doesn't matter if you use uppercase or not (assuming you are using a case-sensitive OS like macOS).

How Plastic SCM is affecting the file names you have created in disc?

40. astanid

astanid

I don't know how and why- but i had wierd problem - script was working on adroid (local build) but not in iOS. I tried a lot - that i installed SRDebug tool to find out script is missing. than i checked Plastic - script was controlled as zoomCamera.cs instead of ZoomCamera.cs
    And this is not the only case... from time to time after importing some new assets i find out private files in Asset folder.
    How can i force plastic to control whole folder with no exceptions ?

41. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

But how the file name/case could be related to Plastic SCM? Plastic is tracking the files you have on disk but it doesn't change the file name or case. It just tracks the file paths you have on disk.

When you create new files on a Plastic workspace (doesn't matter if you import a an asset, create the file on disk...) the files will be private by default. You need to add the files to source control and checkin the changes.
    I mean for every change you do in your project (adding new assets, performing new changes to the existing assets), you need to checkin in the local changes in order the create a new revision for them in the Plastic repository.

42. astanid

astanid

this is the case. On disk file was correct. ZoomCamera from capital letter, But in Plastic workspace it was zoomCamera. Cloud Build was using files from Plastic - and i was getting confusing errors
    But that's very confusing and produces lots of errors. Asset folder is critical for any project and need to be controlled all the time, with all the files.
    Do you propose to go through all the sub-folders after every sdk import to make sure plastic didn't set some files to private ?
    i

43. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

In the Plastic SCM workspace, you are seeing the same files you have on disk. If the repository has the file with the different path or case, it means that when you created the last revision for this file on the repo, it was the path/case on disk. Plastic SCM is not changing it. If you can reproduce some issue, please reach us at support@plasticsc.com and we can even arrange a meeting with you.

After you perform some changes in a folder (adding new files, changing the local files...) you will need to checkin the changes so the new files (and the new version of the old files) are submitted to the repository.

44. astanid

astanid

for me it's clear that sometimes it doesn't. and i'm losing tons of time and money due to it :( i will not try to recreate it - but here's some king of 'proof'. I had to rename file completely to avoid errors.
    upload_2022-7-12_15-13-35.png

this is wierd way of working with Unity.
    Can you just make an option to make Asset folder controlled at all times no matter what ?

45. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

When you perform changes in your project (doesn't matter if you are adding new files or performing changes in the existing files), you need to checkin/submit the changes. Plastic SCM will create new changeset in the repository for every checkin you perform.

46. astanid

astanid

you don't get my point. of course i need to check in. But why some files inside of sub-folders of controlled folders are set to private even after check in ?

47. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

If you checkin "MyFolder" but then you create a new "MyFolder/foo.txt", by default, the new file will be private.

You need to add the new file to source control and checkin the changes.

For every new file/folder you create in your workspace, it needs to be submitted.