Search Unity

Make it so I don't have to hit the LOGIN

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Player7, Sep 25, 2016.

1. martinvium

martinvium

Hi Anne,

You said your stated problem was that you had to sign in every time you come back here.

Am i wrong to assume this means every time you close firefox? Which would be explained by your browser being configured to delete cookies whenever it's closed down.

Just to be clear: You need to keep cookies when you close down Firefox, for "remember me" functionality to work. It is the only way we can retain any kind of information about who you are.

Maybe you can provide some more details, and explain the issue you are seeing. Right now it's not clear to me.

2. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

I can see that: all the cookies are deleted, except the ones I've specifically allowed, among them a bunch of Unity cookies.

These settings work for all the forums I go everyday, except here.

3. martinvium

martinvium

OK. So the cookie your specifically need to allow is called "me" and it's stored under https://api.unity.com (note the missing 3d).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  4. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Yes, api.unity.com is among them but it's http not https. Maybe I should add https://api.unity.com and see what happens.

Gababunta likes this.
  5. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This seems to be getting worse. I get logged out often, usually after midnight (mobile), or every couple of days on laptop, or virtually everytime I switch networks. On mobile, every time if I ever close the app, and usually when it switches from provider to wifi. This if for chrome/safari. Nothing is blocked or rejected. It often logs out mid session. I have lost several posts due to "you must be logged in to do that" happening when I hit post. I find I am getting much more reluctant to bother posting/replying if it is more than a sentence or two, as the odds are pretty even that it will just disappear.

7. Player7

Player7

I haven't had too many problems with it, I still get the occasional logout, ie where I have alerts on tab left open, goto see the alert popup and then get told I'm not signed in.. uurf

but a page refresh and its usually good without needing to visit the login form.

8. martinvium

martinvium

Thanks for reporting this, we don't actually have any open bug reports about this kind of behaviour, so thank you for letting us know. I'll open a ticket for the behaviour you are seeing. We can probably tell if there is some kind of pattern e.g. i know we have region level IP locking, so perhaps your ISP is using some kind of IP sharing.

This definitely seems to be something else. XenForo only keeps the session alive for 1 hour, what happens is that on page reloads, we automatically refresh the session, which _generally_ should be transparent (also why reloading works). This probably won't work with the async widgets though, but i'll log it and take a look when i get the chance. Thanks for reporting @Player7!

Any other people experiencing regular issues, please let us know. We are currently only actively working, on an Edge browser specific issue, where people will get signed out immediately after signing in, but we haven't found a solid repro yet.

Buhlaine likes this.
  9. Player7

Player7

Well that makes sense, I'll often leave a Unity forum tab or two open for hours in Firefox.. come back and see a tab with alerts that it had collected from I guess before the 1hour session timeout.. and get that sign in error when checking the widget.. would be nice if session was longer than an 1hr then.. maybe 1month that should cover it :D or 12hrs

10. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I dont know what you fixed but my forum post (the one I need to post inside) is definitely broken now. I cannot add/delete/modify a post. I log in (in any browser and any OS, same IP) write something on my forum, it does nothing... if I reload the page I am logged out. This issue remains for 1 month now, support cannot help me.This is too annoying, maybe we can find another forum / wesbite to work with our ideas without worrying about the tools...

This is the forum: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/d...lick-advenure-game-from-scratch.417535/page-2

Can you guys write in it? I cannot.. :(
    Maybe if you write something at the end it will unblock...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  11. Miraldomeireles

Miraldomeireles

I'm making a game for android, and I would like to connect my app with the internet. What can I do ?

12. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

This is not even remotely the right thread to be asking this. Start a new thread in an appropriate forum.

13. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

If I am on page 2, there is no way to write/edit/delete my own posts, it always logs me out. But I just found a hack: if I am in page 1 I can write a new post or edit the old ones. But this way I cannot edit the new ones. Anyway does this behavior help you guys to find the issue and correct it?

14. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Have you enabled cookies and allowed 3rd party cookies for *.unity3d.com and *.unity.com as mentioned earlier in this thread? That is required for the login system to work since it crosses domains.

15. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Yes, but no luck. I really don't care about Unity's structure errors and bugs, they are a big company and they should fix it. I often have these kind of bugs in my small structure (websites - apps) and I find the solutions myself so why not they can find a solution when in this company are working hundreds of brilliant minds? We should not do anything in our side (browser settings) and it should just work.

16. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Also cookies from cross domains should not work in both pages. In my case it works in page 1 and doesnt work in page 2.

17. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Settings that disable cookies will mean you have to log in every time. That's the way browsers work. Cookies are the only way to store information locally. So yes, browser settings matter sometimes. I'm not defending them here - whatever structural issue they're having is something I've never experienced anywhere else and has been going on for months - but "should just work no matter what settings I've made" isn't a realistic way of thinking about the problem.

18. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

My cookies are enabled and it doesnt work.

19. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

After solving my problem with the forums, it appears that I cannot stay logged in my Unity ID on the other pages of the site. Example: the learn page, I must click on "Login" to be logged in each time I reopen Firefox, although the api.unity.com cookies are kept in my browser.

Capture.JPG

20. Gababunta

Gababunta

This one finally helps me out and can be logged for longer than 5sec :D