Search Unity

Make it so I don't have to hit the LOGIN

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Player7, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Player7

Player7

..login button everytime I visit the forum (after restarting firefox) just to see the alerts etc. it seems like ever since this forum was restored back from lithium it seems it no longer remembers login through a browser restart.

Add avatars on the board view for poster and last poster... find more decent xenforo addons, that's it.

bring lithium back.. huehuehue jk :D

red2blue and MrEsquire like this.
  2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

YEH still waiting for this, i think they dont know how to fix it, otherwise they would have by now

3. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

We did roll out a stop-gap fix that resolved this for most people but obviously not all. The root cause has to do with a change in how we manage Unity-wide accounts, and that new system has occasional conflicts with our old accounts system that works with Xenforo. Work is being done to bridge things so hopefully we'll see a more robust solution soon. Until then, I hope you can cope with clicking on the login button for a while longer. Sorry about that!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  4. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I find on my iPhone and iPad I have to constantly log in, and pressing the "Keep me logged in" button (which I have to press twice to get it to turn blue) doesn't actually do anything. Logging in on mobile is also an un-friendly experience.

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

+1 Same and this issue was not there before the whole login upgrade..

6. martinvium

martinvium

Hi all,

Today we deployed a completely new plugin for Unity ID, which should fix the issues you have seen. Please let us know if you experience any problems in the future.

@sfbaystudios i have created a ticket to track the mobile issues you have seen, and assigned it to the right person. Hopefully it will be looked into asap.

Dave-Carlile and infinitypbr like this.
  7. Player7

Player7

heh I'm no longer triggered by having to press the login button now.. thanks Unity :D

8. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Hey! I didn't have to log in this morning. Thanks for the fix!!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  9. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

10. Player7

Player7

I will say I have noticed that after leaving a Unity forum tab open for a few hours say on the main forum page, coming back to refresh it.. it will refresh with me not logged in again, then auto refresh again and log me in..

so its not perfect but at least i don't have to manually hit the login button now... first world problems man going to third world quickly I guess.

11. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Mine is broken again in Chrome. I log in, everything shows fine, then a few seconds later it refreshes with me logged out. Tried from incognito and get the same thing. The only thing that worked was using the Edge browser, which isn't an option really.

12. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'm still having to log in a lot -- I don't usually have to enter my credentials, but still have to press the login button. iPad, iPhone & mac (Safari)

13. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I use Edge. The forum constantly logs me out, so I have to relogin a couple times a day. Three different computers ― same problem.

14. iivo_k

iivo_k

Need to constantly log in on Firefox.

Edit: Actually I don't need to log in manually, but I need to wait several seconds for the automatic refresh. Annoying.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  15. Player7

Player7

Yesterday running firefox and visiting Unity forums, I was not logged in, and it didn't auto refresh/login, I had to login manually.. and instead of the pressing the login button, I was taken to the user/pass login page.. I did click the remember details...

Today running firefox I'm logged in first time without refresh.

Now to see when I get logged out again....

edit...upon trying to post the above I got an error saying I was not signed in (like barely 20mins and its logged me out :S) .... so that didn't last long then..I just want some consistency here Unity, I can't handle all this change :p

edit.. the sign in prompt seemed to want a S***ty googles script

infinitypbr likes this.
  16. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

At least you were on for 20 minutes. I get about 4 seconds in any browser except Edge.

17. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Currently looking further into this! Thanks for the info everyone.

red2blue and Dave-Carlile like this.
  18. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I observe spontaneous page reloads. Animation attached. Everything works as usual, then suddenly one of the pages goes crazy.

I last time I saw this, was at the day of this post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Another issue with this is that it's causing everyone to be logged in with the same IP address, which makes some moderation things harder (like banning spammers who create multiple accounts at the same time with the same IP).

--Eric

20. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

Actually, my home ISP gives me a dynamic IP from the private address space: 10.x.x.x. My public IP can be whatever. It can change from time to time and I wouldn't even know that.

21. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Same for me, and most people, but that's not relevant.

--Eric

22. martinvium

martinvium

@Eric5h5 thanks for reporting, the IP logging should be fixed now.

I am investigating the login issue, but unable to reproduce. We do have Unity employees experiencing the same, so that might help in debugging the underlying issue. Thank you for your patience.

Buhlaine likes this.
  23. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

24. martinvium

martinvium

Definitely 3rd party cookies must be enabled. Our forum is hosted on unity3d.com, but Unity ID is hosted on unity.com (note the missing 3d). Thanks for raising awareness!

I have a couple of other tweaks in the pipeline, which might help certain edge cases.

Dave-Carlile likes this.
  25. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I had 3rd party cookies enabled for the last couple of weeks and noticed no difference. Turned them back off again.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  26. martinvium

martinvium

We deployed a couple of fixes today, which should hopefully provide a more consistent experience. Let me know if you continue to have issues.

27. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I still get issue on firefox latest, when I close website and come back I need to login again.
    I will monitor it today, of course this behavior only started happening when forum got upgraded.

28. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

I white listed unity3d.com and unity.com and things are working again. It's interesting that this had been working for several weeks with 3rd party cookies off.

29. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

Didn't help.

1. Login.
    2. Go to this page - https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/make-it-so-i-dont-have-to-hit-the-login.432965/
    3. Close Microsoft Edge.
    4. Restart Edge.
    5. The last page opens.
    6. In a few seconds I get redirected and get the error (screenshots attached).
    7. Then I have to relogin again.

Attached Files:

MrEsquire likes this.
  30. Player7

Player7

Well I don't seem to have had any problems with it now, so works for me :)

31. martinvium

martinvium

Hi @alexzzzz

The url should be fixed now, it was using a relative url, which get interpreted differently in most browsers. Now it is an absolute url and should work everywhere (thanks!).

However, it doesn't explain why you are not signed in. Are you sure you are enabling the "Remember me" checkbox, when you sign in? Otherwise you will be signed out whenever you close your browser.

32. martinvium

martinvium

We have identified an issue with Edge/IE11, and are working on a fix.

33. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I always enable the "Remember me" checkbox. I remember it very well. If you wake me up in the middle of the night, I could draw this checkbox from memory in detail. Some day, I hope, it would remember me too. :)

Dave-Carlile likes this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

As far as I'm concerned, it never remembered me, even after ticking the proper box.

Buhlaine likes this.
  35. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Still not fixed iphone 7 mobile!

36. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

What about issue with mobile iphone for example. Are you having trouble with different accounts or the issue is simple as there no one to just damn test on all supported browsers.
    Its really becoming annoying now..

All started since the change over.. if you planning do such a big change least do proper QA work instead fluffing about this for months

37. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I have to log in again in the following circumstances
    • I close the browser window
    • I use the forum on a different device
    • My phone jumps between wifi and data
    Its not a huge deal, but it does get annoying.

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's completely back to normal for me, but I'm having the "always have to login" thing with UnityAnswers now, so if you could fix that next, that would be good. :)

--Eric

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Normal, you're a moderator. I still have to login each time I come back here.

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Nothing to do with being a moderator; everyone has the same type of Unity account and has to log in the same way. Being a moderator simply means I have some extra functions available once I'm logged in. The differences people see apparently depend on the browser, so you could try a different browser to see if that makes a difference, or try clearing cookies etc.

--Eric

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

I won't try a different browser and the cookies are cleared each time I close it.

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Try not clearing cookies then; actually that's almost certainly the problem judging from an earlier post.

--Eric

Kiwasi likes this.
  43. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't want to keep the cookies. I'll keep logging in then.

44. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

I've sent it over to be investigated (iPhone 7). The new login system is for the entire Unity ID (it's how you log in to view your subscriptions, organisations, make purchases, etc), has nothing to do with the forums. The forum software is currently running on a different domain (unity3d.com) while the Unity ID accounts system runs on unity.com, requiring the third party plugin.

45. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I have this issue on my forum only, with Firefox and Windows 10. I cant edit or write on my forum... Its useless.

46. martinvium

martinvium

A fix was deployed today for "remember me" support in Internet Explorer (all versions).

SaraCecilia likes this.
  47. unicat

unicat

Juhuu, it works :) .

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Will there be one for Firefox?

49. martinvium

martinvium

Hi,

You say you are intentionally deleting your cookies, that is not a bug, but a choice you made. Perhaps you can configure Firefox to delete everything except unity.com/unity3d.com cookies, then it should work.

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's already what I'm doing: cookies are kept until I close Firefox and I've specifically allowed all the cookies related to Unity I could find. It doesn't work.