Search Unity

"Make it happen" - Gamasutra Article

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott-M, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Scott-M

Scott-M

2. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

3. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Obviously Unity fits perfectly in this space: although it's a bit overpowered, the price point is probably right (or a bit low : ).

Now I need to work the media to notice this and blow us up! Thanks for the pointers.

d.

4. normdwyer

normdwyer

"a bit low?"
    That depends on what market you seek to hit with Unity. For indie developers where it can take 2 years or more to recoup development costs, if at all, your price is just right or a bit high.

For programmers who are indie game developers there are numerous development options that range from free to a few thousand dollars. I won't go into what in detail, a little research will turn up literally dozens of engines. However, for the artist/creative developer, which is where Unity seems to be positioning itself, there aren't as many options.

However, if Unity is positioned to go head to head with Torque, Virtools, and all the engines above them (in cost) then, yes, it is "a bit low."

I've already bought the indie license for myself to evaluate Unity with the hope that it could become a (the?) development tool for my studio. At $2000 a seat (for the full non-discount price) I need to be very sure this is the tool for us. $250 is a reasonable way for me to evaluate this. Time limited trials, unfortunately never give enough time for a busy small studio to evaluate new tools.

So, my desire, for what it's worth is of course to see Unity hold at it's current pricing structure... but then who wouldn't want to save money. :wink: