Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Make Daybreak - a survival/building game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by LoganBarnett, Apr 29, 2011.

1. LoganBarnett

LoganBarnett

Make Daybreak is a game about building fortifications by day and then surviving through the night as waves of monsters attack. I thought the first day of Minecraft (where you must build shelter before nightfall) was pretty interesting but it was too easy to just dig a hole and wait it out. I wanted a fully fleshed out game that explored this idea, so I set out to create Make Daybreak.

I did take a look at MinePackage (which is awesome and deserves a look-see), but I felt like it was pretty hard to modify and some of the batching/threading was kind of overkill for what I wanted to do. Instead I've put my work into Cubed, which aims to be a simple voxel engine/helper not necessarily geared towards Minecraft or Minecraft-like games.

Things are pretty early in development, but take a look and let me know what you think!

-Logan

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  2. JasonWIR

JasonWIR

I can't figure out how to play. Sometimes I hold the mouse button to dig, sometimes when I hold it it places a block, and sometimes holding it does nothing. :/

3. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

Same here. :(

4. SteveB

SteveB

Jason:

Hold LMB over a cube until it recesses...it is now a physicalized, loose block...
    Click LMB on that block to pick it up...you have two choices...
    Click LMB in the air/space to chuck it...no real value other than to get it out of your way
    Click LMB on top of another cube to 'set' it. The cube your threw will auto-magically appear. Essentially, regardless of the fact that you can throw the physicalized cube it is still 'active' for the purposes of building. Again the throwing seems superfluous at best...

-Steve

5. ThomQ

ThomQ

I think it's a good concept! Your project however is in a way to early stage to let people play it.. Implement a day / night cycle, and some basic attack wave that comes at night, and I'll think you'll show your concept way better!

6. JasonWIR

JasonWIR

I think game play needs to be simplified before moving on. It is way too hard to play right now. I will defiantly keep an eye out for updates. I am excited about the potential for this project.

7. LoganBarnett

LoganBarnett

Thanks for the feedback! It's definitely a work in progress right now. Currently, I only have the cube system in place.