Search Unity

Feedback Make data editable on the website

Discussion in 'Cloud Save' started by DavidZobrist, Nov 25, 2021.

1. DavidZobrist

DavidZobrist

Hi,

I really miss the feature to just get the total list of players.
    Also I would like to be able to edit the fields for each player in the website manually.
    And on top there should be way to listen to value changed on the client side.

Use case:
    Remove progress that was cheated / exploited after a game patch.
    Giving specific players a bonus.
    Testing through levels with different stages of progress withouth writing an offline version aswell

2. StevenStip-Unity

StevenStip-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi David,

This is some great feedback. Thank you for this.

So if I understand you correctly there are three things you're looking for, and please correct me if I miss anything here:
    1. Being able to list all of your players.
    I presume this is a feature you're missing on https://dashboard.unity3d.com/? I would also presume that this is mainly relevant for when you're first integrating a game and have a few users only rather than when you have a successful game with thousands of players.
    2. Allow, rather than just to see the data for your players, data to be edited for live players.
    This will help with community management and to provide the right experience for QA purposes as well.
    3. Have a way to know that a value is changed on the client when the change didn't happen on the client.
    This would involve having some way to listen to server side changes, such as through Cloud Code, or polling for changes.

This is really useful feedback, especially the use cases give us a good idea of why this is valuable to you and others in a similar situation.

OberZine and DavidZobrist like this.
  3. DavidZobrist

DavidZobrist

@StevenStip-Unity

Hi,

Sorry for the late response.

1. Being able to list all of your players.
    Well yes you are right, they way I was phrasing it may have been not precise enough!

I want to querry the user data to find a specific or a set of matching players instead only finding them by exact userID.
    We do not know their userID.

Case example:
    A player appears to be cheating we spotted it through the ingame chat conversations. We would like to check the player by looking up his data. How ever we have no admin tools ingame. We only see his nickname in chat.
    Problem: How would I find this user in the savegame database?

4. DavidZobrist

DavidZobrist

2. Allow, rather than just to see the data for your players, data to be edited for live players.
    This will help with community management and to provide the right experience for QA purposes as well.

Exactly!

5. DavidZobrist

DavidZobrist

3. Have a way to know that a value is changed on the client when the change didn't happen on the client.
    This would involve having some way to listen to server side changes, such as through Cloud Code, or polling for changes.

I dont know how the server magic happens :D

Just Firebase and MongoDB Realms both have the option to listen to specific set/field of data and receive an event notification in the client like:

(Pseudo Code)

Code (CSharp):
    1. CloudSave.ListenField("currency") += OnCurrencyChanged;
    3. public void OnCurrencyChanged(oldValue,newValue){
    4. // Do your own thing
    5. }

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  6. AbdallahElshabrawy

AbdallahElshabrawy

Hi @StevenStip-Unity

I am looking to move our games from Playfab to start using Unity Game Sevices, and I am excited about this.

I agree with David that we need a way to edit player data on the Dashboard, there are way too many use cases for this feature. Is this something you plan in the near future?

OberZine and DavidZobrist like this.
  7. StevenStip-Unity

StevenStip-Unity

Unity Technologies

Quick update. you can now edit your Cloud Save data in Player Management. Meaning that if you find your player you're not just able to read but also to edit their state.

Attached Files:

8. DavidZobrist

DavidZobrist

yesssss! thank you so much already for this! makes iterative dev+ testing with a persistant user much easier

StevenStip-Unity likes this.