Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Make cutscenes in 3d modeling software

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by MikeyJY, Sep 9, 2020.

1. MikeyJY

MikeyJY

Is it worth to make the cutscenes in blender, render as animation, and use in unity as mp4 file?

2. Martin_H

Martin_H

Imho no. It's not worth making cutscenes, period. For indies at least. At most you should do a "comic" with some very simple animations like panning and zooming. I'd render that in-engine.

EternalAmbiguity and MikeyJY like this.
  3. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@MikeyJY
    I have heard people say, it is better to make the models and animations in blender/maya etc. Then import the models and animations into Unity, and then make your cut scenes live action/ingame in unity. Because doing it that way, will take up less space on your hard drive or android tablet storage, than an mp4 file. I haven't done this method yet, but I always found that advice to be interesting.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Joe-Censored and MikeyJY like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

One issue is supporting multiple resolutions. Stretching an HD video to 4K won't look that good. Including a 4K video would be quite large. Doing it in Unity allows you to use the current screen res without such issues.

angrypenguin likes this.
  5. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

Movies bloat your final game size. One thing I strongly consider when buying a game is how much of my hard drive it wants. Your average consumer doesn’t have a monster hard drive.

I bought doom on the Xbox recently and saw It taking something like 40MB, which I found strange since the game originally shipped on a 1.44MB floppy. Turned out the majority of the download were Bethesda and nerve animated logos. That annoyed me. Doom gets a pass but a small indie game filling my hd with movies will make me not buy.

MikeyJY likes this.
  6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Good points.

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

If your game has any kind of customisation that also makes in-game animations more suitable. Pre-rendered videos can't reasonably reflect what outfit or upgrades the player currently has, so they either have to be highly generic or just ignore that stuff.

I'm surprised a lot of it wasn't Unity, since I believe that's what those ports run in.

Martin_H and MikeyJY like this.
  8. MikeyJY

MikeyJY

9. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

Me too. They seems to do a really good job of stripping everything unused out. It’s bigger than the classic engine obviously, but not terrible.

MikeyJY likes this.
  10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Could be they had a source license and just removed what they didn't need, which I imagine would be a lot since all they'd really need from Unity would be the layer(s) of cross platform support.

Or was tiny available back then?

MikeyJY likes this.
  11. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@MikeyJY
    I forgot to mention earlier, normally character models used in cutscenes, have more polys than the playable character models used in the game. But my suggestion would be, to use the playable ingame character models in your cutscenes. Or make copies of them, and use those copies specifically for cutscenes.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    MikeyJY likes this.